Suggestion

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Suggestion

@Liz, @Amanda:  I often forget to log into the community before I start browsing.  I find a topic I want to reply to, click Reply, and the system takes me to the login page.  I log in and the system takes me to the main page again.   I wonder if it's possible to be taken to the page I was on before instead of back to the beginning.  There are many workarounds to this issue, of course, but I was still wondering if the system could we tweaked.  Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21
Liz

Thanks for your suggestion, maratsade!  

This community platform right out the box works that way-- try to post, get login prompt, login, continue posting. I guess that got disabled when we implemented our SSO login requirement. I know that's not something we can easily re-enable in our admin controls, so I'll ask Lithium what it takes to get that functionality back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

Thanks, @Liz!

@Liz wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion, maratsade!  

This community platform right out the box works that way-- try to post, get login prompt, login, continue posting. I guess that got disabled when we implemented our SSO login requirement. I know that's not something we can easily re-enable in our admin controls, so I'll ask Lithium what it takes to get that functionality back.

MarkJFine
Professor

Good idea... couple that with making the authentication cookie last longer than an hour.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There have been times I have wrote out good long posts, and then look and see I am not logged in...  Not fun if you forget to copy... >.>

maratsade

Been there! It's frustrating, and I try to remember to compose things off the community and then copy-paste, but I'm not being very successful...

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

There have been times I have wrote out good long posts, and then look and see I am not logged in...  Not fun if you forget to copy... >.>

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I feel you.  Been there quite a few times.  Very annoying.  And then, even though you know it won't be, you hope against hope that it will still be there if you hit the back button a couple of times.  😛   

Great idea, @maratsade!  

@MarkJFine  I don't know exactly how long it lasts, but I've noticed that I can come back after a good bit more than an hour and still be signed in (as long as I don't close the browser completely, of course). I think I remember them adjusting this setting back when this particular Community first started as I think it used to not last nearly as long as it does now.  

Mine always times out after about an hour of inactivity.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine

I just replied to a post after about an hour and forty five minutes of inactivity and it was still signed in.  I still had the main page open, so I don't know if that made any difference.  I didn't go back to it or anything during that time (I was doing things on Facebook on another open page), but it was still open.  

Might the page still being open make any difference in the time before signout?  

MIght the browser used make any difference?  I'm using Chrome on a Windows 10 Pro desktop  

Firefox 56.0.1.

Just checked and one the cookies have a strange expiry date: _gat, but that might be the "timer start" cookie.

Whee, we've been escalated to tier 2 support. LOL I'll keep you posted.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Better news, an update to remedy this is on the way, should be implemented during tomorrow night's maintenance window. Let's see on Friday if it works!

maratsade

Woot!

@Liz wrote:

Better news, an update to remedy this is on the way, should be implemented during tomorrow night's maintenance window. Let's see on Friday if it works!

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

That'll be great!  🙂

Good news on the login-before-replying check.

Wonder if it's my imagination or they'd already increased the timeout window as well.

I don't think it's timed out on me once today.

maratsade

I just tried it and it didn't work.... 😞

@Liz wrote:

Hmmm, thanks for letting me know. I'm thinking it hasn't actually been implemented yet. I was supposed to be contacted to confirm the rollout, and I have yet to be, so... I'll ask what happened.

maratsade

"I'm thinking it hasn't actually been implemented yet."

Explains why it wasn't working.... Smiley Very Happy

FYI,

This is in our SSO team's hands right now.

maratsade

Cool. Go, SSO Team!

@Liz wrote:

FYI,

This is in our SSO team's hands right now.

maratsade

Escalation is good. 🙂

@Liz wrote:

Whee, we've been escalated to tier 2 support. LOL I'll keep you posted.