Broken Promises made by Sales Tech for crummy service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brittlynn90
New Poster

Broken Promises made by Sales Tech for crummy service

My experience with Hughes net has been horrible. I live in a rural area and do not have many choices in internet, I believe Hughesnet Takes advantage of this.
When I called Hughesnet and referenced the competition in my area he told me i was making a good decision picking hughesnet instead. he then asked who was gonna use the service and for what. When i said online gaming and school he continued to tell me i would need the "unlimited" plan. Come to find out there is no such thing as an unlimited data plan with this company. come to find out i was sold a small 25 GB plan that runs out every single month, and that the "extra unlimited/ data" was just a peak time extra gb limit from 3am-8am. who in their right adult mind is up using their internet at this time? We work and sleep at this time.. I want good internet when i need it, not when the entire world is asleep and i can't conduct my business not just between 3-8 a.m.
Not to mention i was assured all the online games would work during the off peak time.. but they do not work at any time without drastic lag on my end.
I'm paying nearly $100.00 a month with the extra tokens i have to buy to just not have snail pace internet the second half of my month. What am i paying for? My internet is crap where I live you can not get any work or play done without wanting to pull your hair out. Can someone change this? get me what i was being "sold" by this sales Tech? or forgive my contract so i can go with the cable company i should have from the begining, that the guy talked me out of reassuring me i was making the right choice by hughesnet.. I disagree...anyone have the same issue and can help???
5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Satellite internet is different from cable -- it is a much more expensive technology, so the prices for the subscribers are higher than cable.  There is also the issue of latency (which can't be changed, due to the laws of physics), and this makes online live gaming difficult to impossible.  The data you get is indeed unlimited. What this means is, they will not cut off your internet access if you go over your data allowance -- they will throttle your speed, though. So yes, data is unlimited. Speed is not. Subscribers are expected to budget their data allowance and to stay within the allowance so they can keep the regular speed.   It's a pity you did not research the service before subscribing to it. Their website is available to anyone and contains all the needed information, including the subscriber agreement. 

If your sales call is still available, the Hughesnet people who monitor this site can try to obtain it and see whether the sales agent set the proper expectations with you or not.  For this process to begin, you need to wait until a moderator sees your post and initiates an investigation.  They're here M-F, 8-5. Give them some time to look into the matter and they will get back to you with information.

Other users can't help you with this, even if they've had similar experiences to what you describe, as other users have no access to the information about your account. 

Hughesnet is not taking advantage of rural areas. They're bringing internet service to rural areas that are underserviced by the cable companies.  It sounds as though you have access to cable.  Most rural areas do not. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@Brittlynn90 wrote:
My experience with Hughes net has been horrible. I live in a rural area and do not have many choices in internet, I believe Hughesnet Takes advantage of this.
Hardy

Hello Brittney,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I am disappointed to hear about your data depleting too fast and you feeling misinformed. After running diagnostics on the account I found that there is a bad alignment. I have set up to have a tech come out at the first available date. Please see your private messages for further assistance. 

Thanks,

*Felicia*

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

While I agree that the salesperson should have been more forthcoming about the fact that real time online games do not work well with satellite internet, if at all, it is up to the customer to do their homework and make an informed decision about what form of internet will fit their needs.   

No, you shouldn't have gone with satellite internet when you have cable available, as satellite internet is much more restrictive.  Most of us that have satellite internet would love to have cable available to us, as we wouldn't have satellite internet if we did.  And one should never rely on a salesperson to tell them whether the product the salesperson is selling is better than the competition.  Of course they're going to say it is.  Selling the product is their job.  You wouldn't expect a Jeep salesperson to tell you that you should instead buy a Toyota because their product would be better for you.  

Again, it is up to you, the customer, to gather the information and make an informed decision about what form of internet will best fit your needs.  Satellite internet fits a niche market, and that niche market is pretty much anywhere that ground based high speed internet is not available.  It can't, and doesn't try to, compare to or compete with ground based services like cable or fiber.  

Regarding the gaming, as maratsade mentioned, you can request a review of your sales call in order to determine whether you were misled by the sales person.  However, they don't keep sales calls for more than three or four months, so if it's been longer than that you may be out of luck.  If you request a review of the call and they do have it to review, and it's determined that you were, in fact, misled, you may have recourse regarding the Early Termination Fee when cancelling the service.  Also, it's only the actual sales call that is recorded, not any prior calls you may have made to ask questions about the service.  So, if you feel you were misled during the sales call and it's been no longer than the aforementioned amount of time, I would recommend that you request that sales call review.  

Hopefully the dish realignment will help with your speed, and possibly even with your data usage, at least somewhat, but you'll still need to monitor that data usage and be careful.  It's one of the things that we, as satellite internet subscribers, have to do.  And remember, buying data tokens is, ultimately, your choice.  I've never purhcased one in my 14 years with HughesNet.  

I would not have made my post subject broken promises if I was not promised what I stated on my complaint. It was almost eight months ago when I was assured all of this stuff would work only to be disappointed. And I've waited for them to change it have had techs out to my house to fix nothing... I'm well aware of investigating services. But the sales tech rambled on about how bad frontier was in pricing and service when they themselves are actually worse than frontier.. I'm only stating my experience I'm not looking for schooling.. also who says it's ok for sale reps to out and out lie to you to get your sale?? How is that on me? Sorry you are not looking at this right. I was not misinformed myself I was mislead by their sales team...
CPA
Freshman

While it is troubling to think that a salesperson would outright indicate that RTOG (live gaming) would work with a satellite internet service (it will not because "latency" which is time spent delivering the response from another player to you, is too high), I am also thinking that your speeds should be plenty fast enough to do most business related activities after the reduction in speed (e.g., sending and receiving emails, interacting with Oracle or a similar platorm, etc.). Perhaps, the $100 price tag for internet is reflective of your use of the internet? It sounds like they created a residential account for you, so you might want to look into a business account instead? I have heard those have data focused towards daytime hours with anytime data as well. They are more expensive, but then again, your use might simply be exceeding what a residential account from ANY provider is realistically going to cope with.

@Brittlynn90 wrote:
When I called Hughesnet and referenced the competition in my area he told me i was making a good decision picking hughesnet instead. he then asked who was gonna use the service and for what. When i said online gaming and school he continued to tell me i would need the "unlimited" plan. Come to find out there is no such thing as an unlimited data plan with this company. come to find out i was sold a small 25 GB plan that runs out every single month, and that the "extra unlimited/ data" was just a peak time extra gb limit from 3am-8am. who in their right adult mind is up using their internet at this time? We work and sleep at this time.. I want good internet when i need it, not when the entire world is asleep and i can't conduct my business not just between 3-8 a.m.
Not to mention i was assured all the online games would work during the off peak time.. but they do not work at any time without drastic lag on my end.
I'm paying nearly $100.00 a month with the extra tokens i have to buy to just not have snail pace internet the second half of my month. What am i paying for? My internet is crap where I live you can not get any work or play done without wanting to pull your hair out. Can someone change this? get me what i was being "sold" by this sales Tech? or forgive my contract so i can go with the cable company i should have from the begining, that the guy talked me out of reassuring me i was making the right choice by hughesnet.. I disagree...anyone have the same issue and can help???