False sales claim

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blackdagger
New Poster

False sales claim

When we called and signed up for hughsnet (about 10 months ago), we were told by the salesman that our speeds (even without data) should be 3 mbs or higher. On top of that he never told us of the horrible ping, he mentioned that xbox live wouldn't work but didn't inform us that was because of high ping. I believe our contract isn't valid and that if the sales call can be reviewed that it would show that we were misinformed.

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@blackdagger

It's unlikely that your sales call is still available for review, as they're usually only available for a few months, and due to that it's unlikely that you'd be able to cancel without an Early Termination Fee, but a rep will be able to tell you for sure.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, but it can take them a day or two to reply.  

I don't know that the reps, unless specifically asked, are required to divulge exactly why Xbox Live, or other online gaming systems, won't work with HughesNet, but only that they won't.  I could be wrong, though.  

@Liz

@Amanda 

Thanks for your reply. As for the "xbox live", we were told that it, in particular, wouldn't work and not gamming in general. The sales representative did tell us about the data cap but said it would be "at least 3 mbs after data was used up". I believe the sales agent didn't explain that there was a ping issue, I even recall him saying "the service will be great for streaming, GAMING, and web surfing". When he said, "xbox live wouldn't work" he portrayed it as an isolated issue. I hope HughesNet can see the misinformation and understand that if we decide to cancel the "ETF" should rightfully be waived based on the false sale claims.

Liz

Hi blackdagger,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. As Gabe already noted, it's been too long since your initial signup with our service for us to do a sales call review. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

For current and prospective customers, we have several articles regarding gaming on the HughesNet system available online on our FAQ which do warn about the inherent latency in satellite internet that can cause online gaming to be tricky. Our sales reps normally don't go into detail about ping time in gaming, but they will at least ask if the potential customer plans to do online gaming.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

thank for your reply. The salesman literally said "the internet would be great for gaming". I feel that he scammed us by telling us that only xbox live wouldn't work, can you try to see if our sales call is still able to be reviewed. thank you.

I'll send off a review request and let you know what happens.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks @Liz, will be waiting for the reply.

I hope it works out for you. Ping time, obviously, is an issue with any satellite service, as the satellite is up in space and the laws of physics cannot be overcome, at least not yet. I suppose I'm fortunate that I don't play video games, lol! My oldest son was 4 when the very first Nintendo machine came out. Within days, he could beat me every time at Super Mario Bros., haha! I decided gaming wasn't for me. As Corrosive said, I suppose whether Hughesnet is "great for gaming" depends upon whether the system and particular game requires a fast ping time for you to have a good experience. Again, I hope it works out for you.

Sincerely,
Debbie

Hi blackdagger, 

Thank you for your patience while your sales call was reviewed.  Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.