Hughesnet Community

How to CANCEL: Bill increase, incredibly slow speeds (less than 10mbps download, 1 mbps upload)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newarky
Freshman

How to CANCEL: Bill increase, incredibly slow speeds (less than 10mbps download, 1 mbps upload)

I just had a terrible customer service experience using CHAT. I have saved the transcript, basically the representative refused to respond. I have never had an experience like that with any company customer service people. Did it happen because our Hughesnet internet connection is so awful? I would like to cancel this service as it has never provided the kind of connection we need and as hard as it is to believe, now it is even worse and the cost has increased, almost $150 for 50gb of data? What is the best process to cancel? I have no problem returning the modem, power supply but will need some direction on getting what is needed off the satellite dish. We do have some time left on our 2 yr contract because we do not live year round at the location but I believe any Early Termination Fee should absolutely be waived due to failure to provide any kind of adequate/usable service. Here is the transript of my extremely unhelpful "Customer Service" CHAT: Thank you for chatting with Hughes Network Systems today. 7:15:12 PM Lonna Beers> The download and upload speeds of our internet/satellite connection is not acceptable. This is the 3rd summer we have used this as our only internet access and it continues to disappoiint and underperform to a degree that is not tolerable. 7:15:17 PM Due to government regulations in response to the coronavirus pandemic, Customer Care agents in some of our centers are not able to come to work. As a result, we are experiencing longer than usual wait times. Please stay on the line and a Customer Care agent will be with you soon. Thank you for your patience during this extraordinary time. 7:15:17 PM HughesNet is currently experiencing very high network usage due to the pandemic. This means customers may experience slow service due to network congestion. We have taken steps to optimize work-at-home and education applications when possible. Please hold to speak to the next representative. Currently, wait times may exceed 20 minutes 7:15:18 PM With so many people using the internet at home, during these unprecedented times, the HughesNet network is operating at full capacity across most of the US. To improve work from home and educational activities, we have implemented the following changes: þÿ " C l o u d - b a s e d b u s i n e s s a p p l i c a t i o n s h a v e b e e n o p t i m i z e d þÿ " E d u c a t i o n a l t o o l s h a v e b e e n o p t i m i z e d þÿ " W e h a v e a l s o u p d a t e d o u r w e b s i t e t o a d d r e s s f r e q u e n t l y - a s k work-from-home applications. Please visit hninfo.us/worktips for more information. We are doing everything possible to make sure you stay connected in this challenging time. 7:15:18 PM Please wait while we connect you to a live agent. The next available agent will text you back. 7:15:18 PM Agent 3254375 Huerta, Eder joined chat. 7:15:32 PM 3254375 Huerta, Eder> Hello, thank you for contacting HughesNet support, my name is Eder Huerta, how can I assist you today? 7:17:05 PM Lonna Beers> After three summers of using Hughesnet, this is the worst. I believe my 20+ year ago dial up connection was faster. Both download and upload are excruciatingly slow. 7:17:18 PM 3254375 Huerta, Eder> If there is no answer in the next 2 minutes, I will have to end this session. 7:17:30 PM Lonna Beers> What??? 7:17:58 PM Lonna Beers> You are probably not getting my messages because our connection is so bad!!! 7:19:17 PM Lonna Beers> And then to add insult to injury I see you are charging even more this summer per month for 50gb of use. I can get 250gb from ATT for less than $50 a month! 7:19:28 PM 3254375 Huerta, Eder> For quality purposes, I will have to end this session, thank you for contacting HughesNet support, you have yourself a wonderful day. Hughes Network
9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@newarky 

The only way you can cancel your service is by phone.  You need to call 866-347-3292 to do so.  You'll likely have better luck getting through early in the morning or later in the evening, as the HughesNet reps are very busy with calls right now.  If you don't have much luck getting through with that number, try 877-329-1403, which is an alternate.  

Shortly after your service is terminated, HughesNet will send an equipment return kit so that you can send back the modem, the power pack for the modem and the radio from the dish assembly. 

Please keep in mind that without adequate troubleshooting, any applicable Early Termination Fee will be valid.

Regarding your speed, 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up isn't all that slow.  It's not at advertised speeds, but it's not that bad, especially considering the load the system is currently under. If you're not able to do even basic online activities, speed is likely not the problem, as that speed is adequate for most basic activities.  With this said, when you reached out nearly two years ago for speed issues you never replied to my testing instructions, which was the first step required in the troubleshooting process.

So, I just did another speed test at 7:16AM. 2.65 Download, 1.62 Upload. I am using my ATT phone now for almost all necessary internet work. And full disclosure, we are both senior citizens and Immunocompromised due to cancer treatment and a blood clotting problem. Any essential items, like food, we need to order online for delivery/pickup. This is a real situation. We are coming from a large metropolitan area with a realistic, usable internet connection. We recognize the limitations of Hughesnet satellite but this current/new inaccessibility is NOT acceptable. It is clear that the slowdown is due to changes in access for individual subscribers who do not fit your new criteria. We understand but do not feel we need to financially support someone else's online business by paying high/excessive fees for a connection we can not use. I will try to reach someone via telephone and certainly hope the response is better than the chat option. Good grief!
maratsade

Could you post the link to your My Results page on Testmy.net? The HughesNet reps on this site will need that to address your speed issues. 

@newarky wrote:
So, I just did another speed test at 7:16AM. 2.65 Download, 1.62 Upload. 

GabeU

@newarky 

If you'd like to start the aforementioned troubleshooting process, please start a new topic in Tech Support for that purpose.

I have spent a lot of time reviewing responses that appear to come from someone named GabeU. I understand whoever this is, not officially with Hughesnet?, that they are trying to be helpful. These are unusual times but I will make my case again as a customer/consumer of this product. Regardless of how management has decided to distribute the resources, there are a lot of individual customers who are being impacted severely by these decisions beyond their control. Again, we are older retired customers who do need to have adequate access to the internet but that has been denied due to new priorities put into effect after service promises were made that induced us to enter into a 2 year contract with Hughesnet. We were already disappointed that we had to give up any use of streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime but one of the final insults was we could not even use our Dish Network Video On Demand service. I have run the suggested speed test on mytest.net several times and it is inconceivably slow all times of day, 1-2Mbps download, barely 1Mbps upload. How can that be an acceptable level of service? And, to suggest that all of their customers with poor performance issues, set up individual accounts, do complicated equipment adjustments, then run multiple tests all day long, is also unbelievable. Does Hughesnet think we are all looking for part-time employment? Will they waive all our monthly fees/costs so that we can assist them with something that they are paid to do? Lastly, why do we need to accept a connection which is not dissimilar from what I remember/called dial-up internet. The only things missing is the 'handshake' connection noises! And, yes, I have set 'on hold' numerable times trying to cancel this abominable "service!"
maratsade

Customer service lines everywhere (not just for HughesNet) are experiencing higher call volume and also staffing issues due to the pandemic.  Long wait times are to be expected with many companies' call centers, and several ISPs and other companies (such as banks) have notices regarding the long waits.  

To cancel, you need to call 866-347-3292. You may want to try in the morning (say, 9 am on the dot), as they're likely to be less busy. You can also try 877-329-1403.

Either way, plan for long waits.

This is a peer to peer site, which is the norm for tech support sites for many companies (Xfinity, Apple. Microsoft, Verizon, Viasat...and many others).  You can expect to receive responses from fellow subscribers like @GabeU , myself, and others.  

Please read the legal documents so you are aware of what the parameters are for the account,  the service, and dispute resolution:  https://legal.hughesnet.com/

newarky wrote:
I have spent a lot of time reviewing responses that appear to come from someone named GabeU. I understand whoever this is, not officially with Hughesnet?, that they are trying to be helpful. These are unusual times but I will make my case again as a customer/consumer of this product. Regardless of how management has decided to distribute the resources, there are a lot of individual customers who are being impacted severely by these decisions beyond their control. Again, we are older retired customers who do need to have adequate access to the internet but that has been denied due to new priorities put into effect after service promises were made that induced us to enter into a 2 year contract with Hughesnet. We were already disappointed that we had to give up any use of streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime but one of the final insults was we could not even use our Dish Network Video On Demand service. I have run the suggested speed test on mytest.net several times and it is inconceivably slow all times of day, 1-2Mbps download, barely 1Mbps upload. How can that be an acceptable level of service? And, to suggest that all of their customers with poor performance issues, set up individual accounts, do complicated equipment adjustments, then run multiple tests all day long, is also unbelievable. Does Hughesnet think we are all looking for part-time employment? Will they waive all our monthly fees/costs so that we can assist them with something that they are paid to do? Lastly, why do we need to accept a connection which is not dissimilar from what I remember/called dial-up internet. The only things missing is the 'handshake' connection noises! And, yes, I have set 'on hold' numerable times trying to cancel this abominable "service!"

GabeU

@newarky wrote:
I have run the suggested speed test on mytest.net several times and it is inconceivably slow all times of day, 1-2Mbps download, barely 1Mbps upload. How can that be an acceptable level of service? And, to suggest that all of their customers with poor performance issues, set up individual accounts, do complicated equipment adjustments, then run multiple tests all day long, is also unbelievable. Does Hughesnet think we are all looking for part-time employment? 

Setting up an account, which takes a few minutes, and then running a few tests a few times a day, which maybe takes ten or fifteen minutes total, isn't asking for you to become a part time employee.  It's asking you to participate in a troubleshooting step that is needed for individual speed issues and which cannot be performed by HughesNet themselves. 

If the tests you ran at testmy.net were run as instructed, please start a new topic in Tech Support about your speed issues and post your testmy.net "My Results" page URL so that the test results can be viewed and the next step in the process can begin.

Until the first step in the troubleshooting process takes place, which is the speed testing, there's not a whole lot that anyone can do for you.

If you just want to cancel the service, it's best to call earlier in the morning or later at night, but earlier in the morning is better with there being less people contacting support at that time.

LegoMyMego
New Poster

Omg!! How rude!! I want to cancel also! I have only had HughesNet for 40 days and already HATE it!! We use all the high speed data for the month in four days! And the lower speed won’t even stream one Netflix movie! This is ridiculous! I’ve already bought two tokens also and they’re gone! HughesNet sux so bad!! I am really thinking it’s a scam! Like you get the service, pay ridiculous amounts of money because on top of your bill, you’re gonna have to buy tokens! And then when u get completely fed up you gotta pay an additional 400 to terminate the contract!! Smh...
GabeU

@LegoMyMego wrote:
We use all the high speed data for the month in four days! And the lower speed won’t even stream one Netflix movie! This is ridiculous! I’ve already bought two tokens also and they’re gone! HughesNet sux so bad!! I am really thinking it’s a scam!  

How quickly you use your data is under your control, whether you're actively using the data or one or more of your devices is using it without you being aware of it, and you exhausting that data in four days is not HughesNet's fault.

As well, buying Data Tokens is your choice, not HugesNet's.

It may be of benefit to read through the information available here.