Hughesnet Community

I was told before I signed up for this service that I could "move" my service from one location to another.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
japabozaji
Spectator

I was told before I signed up for this service that I could "move" my service from one location to another.

I was told before I signed up for this service that I could "move" my service from one location to another as many times as I wanted for any length of time. I regularly move back and forth from Michigan to Florida and was told that I could take my modem and hook it up at either location whenever I wanted to "move" my service, temporarily. Now, when I called last night, I was told that I could not do this. This is the MAIN reason I signed up for this service. Otherwise, why would I sign up for a service that is unreliable, slow, and basically crappy? If I cannot do this, I will be filing suit to get out of this contract as it is a breach of contract, and I will NEVER go with this company again.
10 REPLIES 10
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Actually, no where in the contract does it state that you can move service any time you want, it does state that you are bound to arbitration though.

The only system where one could freely move around on is the HN7000 system, which required the user to have some knowledge of installing and pointing a dish if they wanted to relocate frequently.  The HN9000, HT1000, and HT1100 are not easily moved because they are dependent upon beam, and all service plans for those units, depend heavily upon geographical location in amount of data available, as well as costs.

But, Hughesnet does offer a service where someone can freely move service, once, during the contracted time.

If you feel you was misled by a sales rep, then Amanda, Chris, or Liz can pull your sales call if it was done via official sales channel to verify your story.  If you was misled about service, you may be able to terminate with out an ETF.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

" I will be filing suit to get out of this contract as it is a breach of contract"

If what you claim you were told is not on the contract that you signed, then no breach of contract has taken place.  The contract that you signed takes precedence over what you were told or may have heard/misheard.  Hughesnet may still be able to pull your sales call, and if the sales rep misled you, you may have a way out. 

As for filing a lawsuit, when you signed the contract you gave up your right to seek redress in court.  You can only seek binding arbitration, which means you have to go through a third-party mediator whose decisions are final, and cannot go to court nor sue.  Since the Supreme Court has found this system to be just fine, you are not likely to find lawyers who wish to pursue a lawsuit, because they would almost certainly lose.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Don't know what you were told but curious if you did any personal research first. I research everything anymore especially if a contract involved even on computer at library or phone if necessary. I went to library to check out HughesNet 12 years ago.

Threatening a lawsuit really isn't going fix it.
Amanda

Hello japabozaji,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I apologize for any misunderstandings about the details of our move program and would like to investigate this for you. Can you clarify if you were told you could move the services an unlimited amount of times during your initial sales call, or when you called our support group before getting installed? I just want to make sure, because I see your first call to us on 6/7/16 (Case #54415373), you spoke to one of our customer service representatives about the move program and data allowance before your installation was done. I look forward to resolving this with you and appreciate your cooperation.

Thank you,
Amanda
GW
Advanced Tutor

If  you have a pointed antenna at both properties, why couldn't you simply move the modem and call Hughes to re-initialize at the alternate location? That doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Pretty sure that installers have to upload a configuration file for the beam assignment for the modems, plus the ODU tends to be locked to the modem in my limited experiences.  I know the modems I have, when I have gone to install/re-install them, when it comes to beam selection, has only ever listed the beam I am under.
GW
Advanced Tutor

Yes, I guess Hughes wouldn't want a customer doing config on that level if they won't even allow the tightening of a screw.

The next solution down the path of least resistance may be to have a Florida modem and a Michigan modem.
japabozaji
Spectator

I did research and talked with people from Hughes. I was told I could move my service. I had a dish installed at the other address pointed and ready to go. The technician explained how easy it would be to hook it up each time. Now , just can't understand how I could have been so deceived...
japabozaji
Spectator

I spoke to several people from Hughes, at different times. I was assured that I could move my service back and forth form Michigan to Florida and back. Even the technician at the first install showed me how easy it is to hook up the equipment. I feel very deceived and cheated. I thought this was going to be the best solution to my internet, but alas...
If you could please help to resolve this issue? For now, what would be best might be to have a modem in Michigan and Florida, paying for both modem rentals, if the modem I have cannot be configured for both.
Amanda

Hi japabozaji

That is definitely not something we offer unless you got two separate accounts and suspended each one at the specific times you would be away. The other dish you have pointed and ready to go - does it have a HughesNet radio transmitter on the dish arm? Who set that up? I am sure we can find a way to help you, even if it requires cancelling your service.

Thanks
Amanda