Is Google Chrome secure enough?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Is Google Chrome secure enough?

An off topic question, but do you think Google Chrome is secure enough?  I have been using IE for years, and I, like others, am starting to see more articles and such of how IE is basically falling behind...considerably.  I have Chrome on here, and it's up to date, but I am somewhat apprehensive in using it to do things like online shopping.  What do you think?  I don't have Firefox.  I tried it a few years back and did not like it at all.  But, with regard to that, how is Firefox with security?  What would YOU choose to do sensitive things like shopping and paying bills and such?  

Thanks for the help.   

40 REPLIES 40
donsjgm
Junior

Gabe,
As long as ROOT access is well secured, Linux is VERY secure. Some distros don't even give root access to the administrator except by the use of the sudo cmd. Passwords are "shadowed" so even access to the sudoers file is protected.
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Chris,

Many people like Chrome and I agree with you in respect to IE but to me Chrome is too invasive.

Don  🙂
GabeU

I have no clue as to what any of that means.  LOL. I don't know what a .deb file is, either.  A file clerk named Deborah?  I'm at a loss when it comes to tech talk. 
Chris11
Alum

How exactly? Because you can login using your google account? I have all control over what it accesses. Haven't had a problem.
donsjgm
Junior

Bottom Line:

Linux is Very secure!
GabeU

I beginning to get that.  LOL. 
Pawnee County

If you use it you will know if you don't then you wont.  It is like the movie, "If you build it they will come."
donsjgm
Junior

I don't know of anyone else who has had any problems either.
I know some "Die-Hard" Chrome advocates.
It's just a case where I don't care for it. It "calls home" like Windows10. Honestly, I never mastered it so perhaps you have "tamed" it.
GabeU

I do use it, but you have to understand that I don't know any of this stuff.  No one ever explained why it's more secure, they always just said "it's more secure."  I can say that Gen 4 is better than the legacy plans, but it doesn't make it so unless I explain why.  You did that.  I appreciate the explanation. 

And when I say "they," I don't mean the people on here, I just mean people from past questions. 

GabeU

Years ago on a much older computer I actually had someone hack into my system and start typing on it...in front of me.  Taunting me.  Needless to say, that drive got wiped and everything reinstalled, and before ANYTHING else, I installed every protection measure on that thing I could think of, downloading them using a different system.  THAT was an eye opener.  You've probably never seen anyone pull a phone cord out of their computer so fast!  LOL. 
Chris11
Alum

Yea, it used to be a system resource hog. But that was mainly due to flash players back in the day being so rudimentary. So glad we've moved from that crap lol
donsjgm
Junior

Not in desktops (windows has the greatest shares) but world wide Linux has 98.8% of the top 500 and somewhere of about 58+% of the smartphones. OS X has a smaller share but it's a closed derivative of BSD which is a UNIX/Linux like OS.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
donsjgm
Junior

Hey Chris,

I was trying to answer when my system went down. All of the sudden I only had power, receive and LAN lights on my terminal (Ser# B3 0010462017 A2) and it was disassociated. After 2 soft restarts and a pretty long wait it did come back online.
I know that you're busy but when you get a moment would you please look and see that everything's OK?
I understand that it could have been at the gateway, the weather here is good. Just want to see that we're good and not having an equipment issue.

Thx in advance.

Don  🙂
Amanda

Hey Don

Was just about to leave for today when I saw your post... There are some really severe storms rolling through Tornado Alley right now and your gateway was subject to some severe weather (Amarillo, TX) But should be cleared. Now you know where to keep an eye out 🙂

Amanda
donsjgm
Junior

Thanks Amanda. You're the greatest!
Have a good evening.

Don  🙂
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Whos bright idea was it to put gateways in tornado alley?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Probably was located for strategic purposes well outside the scope of "consumer" things...  Also probably has historically the highest potential for good fiber connectivity as well as the least cloud coverage on average...
Pawnee County

It is nothing but desert over there coyotes and tumbleweeds.  For the most part flat land and not much rain until thunderstorm season.  Not to mention the worlds largest Beef Steak if you can eat it all it is free.