Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danielle Nemeth

Poor service

I feel like I've been lied too w there service
30 REPLIES 30
Liz

Good morning Danielle,

Welcome to the community and thank you for reaching out to us. Please post your modem's serial number, located at the back/bottom of the modem, so we may locate your account. Also please elaborate on your concern so we may better assist you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Danielle Nemeth

There are multiple issues:

I ordered the service in October for multiple reasons.

My family does basic things with the internet, as explained when I first joined.  We search the internet/bank/shop etc... on occasion my husband watches a film and my daughter plays games and on occasion I work from home.  (Once a week or so)

I was given the same rate, I was paying with my previous service and was told I had to have a bundle package that included a home phone. I wasn’t thrilled but I was willing to try your services, not realizing I was being over promised and over sold  on the services.

I called twice within the first 2 weeks I had the service.  I became very frustrated with your automotive services and hold times.  An agent called me back and I explained that I was going to have IT look at my laptop as I thought it may have been an IT issue.  IT looked at it and told me it was a provider issue.

As a professional I work 8/10 to 12 hours per day.  Throughout the month, my service cuts in and out.   When I work from home, I am constantly being kicked off my internet sites only to get back on them. 

About 1 week ago, my husband attempted to watch a movie and couldn’t. 

I was billed 92 or 98 dollars when I was told the services would be approx. 65 dollars.     During the first several weeks, I apparently was receiving upgraded services (Which still were cutting in and out).

Our data plan is what we had in the 1990s, when I called to complain and express my desire to cancel the service, I was quoted a 600 fee.   I work 10 to 12 hours per day and don’t have a desire to spend time talking to a rep only to be transferred and then spend time speaking to a tech who reboots and poof the phone cuts off.  No one calls back.  The one time I received a call back, they called  me on my work phone in my office... Really.

I was also told I used all my data.... WHAT?????????  I’m a non tech person, I’ve exceeded my data plan really.  My last service I could spend 24/7 on the internet and was never told I exceeded my data plan.... I didn’t realize it was like a cell phone plan..... REALLY.  My son  came over (who works for a tech company) and stated the service was  poor.

Are service is slow and terrible.    I am now going to be working from home and find the service slow and spotty.  Constantly being kicked on and off line.  My boss has noticed I am not on instant messenger or drop out during our conversations. 

Liz

Thanks, Danielle. I've requested your sales call for a review. I'll post back once I have an update for you.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Danielle Nemeth

Thank you
Liz

Good morning Danielle, 

Are you using a VPN at home when you work? Using a VPN will decrease your speeds by 50-70%. If so, please disable your VPN and connect your computer directly to the HughesNet modem so we can evaluate exactly what speeds you are getting.

Please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy...

If you are getting unusually slower speeds than what your plan offers, then I can escalate your case directly to the engineers here at corporate.

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

You're currently subject to our Fair Access Policy, so your speeds have been reduced. I've sent you some complimentary tokens so you can restore your speeds for the purpose of running the speed tests.

Here's how to use your tokens: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how-to-use-my-tokens

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Liz, at least on my end there is still a problem with creating a new account at Testmy.net. I get an error page.
Amanda

The link on their homepage is broken. If you go Sign In > Don't have an account? Sign up it works

Here is the direct URL

http://testmy.net/ipb/register/
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well that is certainly good for someone trying to sign up to know! Thanks Amanda, would think they'd have fixed it by now.
Amanda

It's probably our fault or something 😛
Ronnie Imel

Fault is a matter of perspective maybe  but when it was about my phone service they just did not tell me about no 911, did not tell me about not interfacing with my fax, did not tell me there was no msging, did not say the words so, matter of perspective. But when it come to my TV they told me it would work and it would be part of the contract they were selling me, yes someones fault.
Danielle Nemeth

I only use vpn when I work which was 1 or 2 times a month. Tokens do not resolve issues moving forward. I am continously being kicked off the internet. Pages don't load, service is slow and had I know the issues prior I would have never signed up.

Can I be guaranteed my service will run faster? I won't get kicked off of pahe's such as facebook, and other websites. Will I be able to watch a snip of a video with out it stopping and re loading?
Liz

The tokens are so you can get out of the Fair Access Policy and run the speed tests so we can see if you're getting appropriate speeds.

Speeds are not guaranteed, but if you are getting unusually slower speeds than what your plan offers, then I can escalate your case directly to the engineers here at corporate so we can improve your speeds.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Danielle Nemeth

I will try it when I get home later today but if your saying speeds not guaranteeD then why did I get your service? Is being booted off sites not guaranteed. This is why I feel I was lied to... they stated all the good but in reality it's poor and I'm paying the same amount I was paying w my previews company and didn't have any issues. I was looking for better pricing and got bad service and higher prices. If a company can not provide service then they shoulD tell the truth
jhwarren4

It has taken me about three months to finally get satellite internet and telephone.  The first month was spent talking to techs and reps (mainly to persons in the Philippines who spoke poor English).  I spent an average of an hour per day, mainly on hold, had three technical representatives come to my home, had a couple of equipment items replaced, and then began tacking the phone problem.  This took another month of talking to techs, mainly on hold and outside the United States, until I finally had some sort of telephone service. . .took another three weeks to have my telephone number "ported" over.  The entire process was VERY, VERY frustrating, but since we live in an area with basically no other service I could find, this was our only option.  The HughesNet Service Department is extremely lacking in ability to help and answer questions.  It was not until I began posting on this sight that I began to get some results (mainly from/with Amanda (THANK YOU!).  Now I have adequate Internet and Phone service, and at this point, would recommend, if you are patient enough to get all the kinks worked out.
Danielle Nemeth

Thank you for the response, but 3 months of issues and fustration for adequate service. No thank you. My life is too busy. Perhaps they shold pay us for our time on the phone for there lack of technical and customer service
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi Danielle!

I have a few tips that might help you out.

#1 Hughesnet does not support VPN. That's where much of your data is going. Turn it off! Even when you're working.

#2 When hubby is watching movies, does he turn them down to the lowest definition possible? Video in HD uses 3G per hour! SD uses less, but LD uses waaay less. This includes ANY video, i.e. YouTube, etc.

#3 Messenger: this may be an inelegant solution, but do you have a cellphone? It doesn't even have to have cellular phone service. Download Facebook Messenger. It's free and you don't even have to have a Facebook account. If your boss is willing, you can use Messenger to communicate with her in real time and did I mention it's free?

#4 Video games. You mentioned your daughter plays them. This too is a huge data sucker. You may have to restrict her hours of playing time.

These may not be fun, optimal, or what you were hoping for. But I guarantee they'll cut your usage down significantly. Good luck!
Danielle Nemeth

Great to know but that's what I need. I need my vpn, why an I paying for services to have restrictions???? That wasn't explained to me when I signed up for services. Can you send me the documents/information that I signed that makes me legally obligated to hughes net.
Danielle Nemeth

No I am not communicating w my boss on face book or all the other people.
Ronnie Imel

I am really puzzled with the tips from above. I was told that with the plan I excepted I could easily use and do all of these things with no problem. My internet slows down all the time, If I have to do as directed above I don't need Hughes Net, HELL I don't think I could do my work the way your telling me I should do.
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi Danielle,

I'm not a Hughesnet employee, just another customer trying to be helpful. 🙂

Maybe I didn't explain Messenger clearly enough. It's NOT Facebook. It's just like texting only you aren't using your cellphone data. You can even use it if you have no cellphone service. That's what I use because we don't get cellphone service out here in the boonies, haha!

I'm guessing you're required to use VPN when working? If so, that sucks because VPN is not supported by Hughesnet. You'll continue to have speeds down up to 70% and lose massive data and have all the same problems. 😞

Turning movies down to LD will still save a lot of data, though.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 😞