Price of Internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fixit43228
New Poster

Price of Internet

I had to call to either cancel my account or lower the cost. In the start we purchase the dish then pay monthy for the internet. After the dish is paid for the price of the internet should be lowered. I have called around where I live and this is the only internet service that comes as far as I live. BUT Other internet providers do not cost this much! Why?? Why cant we get the lower cost like the regular cable gives? Granted it is satalite but either way it COST TOO MUCH. If I didnt need it for my job it would be gone! Phones can do just as much but its hard to see on a small screen. I got my bill lower and they fixed the dish that didnt know was damaged? Free of course. But it should be!

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"BUT Other internet providers do not cost this much! Why?? Why cant we get the lower cost like the regular cable gives?"

Because satellite technology is much more expensive to establish and maintain than terrestrial cable.  Be thankful you have something where you live, and if you'd like terrestrial cable to give a bleep about you and your area, then become active in the local politics and agitate for more internet services.  

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@fixit43228

The price for equipment, whether you buy it up front or lease it every month, is separate from the fee for the internet service, so the fee for the internet service doesn't go down, regardless of equipment ownership.  You have to options when it comes to the equipment:

1. Pay for the equipment up front and never pay a lease fee.  With this method, you own the equipment.
  2. Lease the equipment with a monthly fee, and the equipment remains the property of HughesNet.  It's not a lease to own service.

And when you lease it, it's never "paid for".  Not nominally speaking, of course, but in regard to the Terms of Service. 

As for the cost comparison to cable, satellite internet is the most expensive mainstream internet, per capita, to provide.  Cable is cheap in comparison, as are other mainstream forms of interenet service.

MarkJFine
Professor

Ask Elon Musk why the price of being a space passenger is so high, when the cost of driving is so (relatively) low.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

Ask Elon Musk why the price of being a space passenger is so high, when the cost of driving is so (relatively) low.

The cost of anything being launched into space is going to be much more right down to what the customer pays. Also have to factor in the ground facilities and cost to maintain and man them.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say we'd all love to have a bill comparable to ground based Internet like $30-50/month. Just ain't gonna happen with satellite, at least no time soon if ever.

And please don't make comparisons to satellite TV, very different systems.