Hughesnet Community

Sales rep gave wrong information. I want to cancel and should not have early termination fee!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JulieM
New Poster

Sales rep gave wrong information. I want to cancel and should not have early termination fee!

I signed up for Hughes Net less than one month ago. When I called, I was unsure if the speeds would be adequate for my husband to work at home. The sales rep told me that I could try out Hughes Net for 30 days for less than $20. I was told that if I decided within the first 30 days that HughesNet would not work for us that I could cancel and not be locked into a 2 year contract or have to pay the early termination fee. I was told that Hughes Net would simply send me a box to package and return the equipment and that we would be required to mail the equipment back, but that we would not be charged for anything more than the $19 something dollars that I had agreed to.

Fast forward 26 or 27 days later...Today I called before 30 days to cancel our Hughes Net service. It is not fast enough for what my husband needs to be doing on the internet. When I called the Hughes Net customer service department to cancel, they said that I am already locked into a contract. I tried to explain to the customer service rep that the sales rep had told me that we could try it our for 30 days for $19 without getting locked into a contract, and he said that that is not true and that I was, in fact, already locked into a contract. He said that I will have to pay a $400 ETF to get out of the contract at this point. He said that he has no control over what the sales rep told me. I told him I would talk to my husband and decide what we want to do about our Hughes Net service. I talked with my husband and he said he still wants to cancel because I did not agree to a contract and he also doesn't want to pay the quoted $59.98 per month to continue with HughesNet.

I should not be locked into a 2 year contract paying $59.98 per month for internet service that does not meet our needs. Nor should I have to pay a $400 ETF. I want the original sales call reviewed and I want Hughes Net to keep their word and not charge me for services that they agreed to not charge me for. They told me that I can cancel within 30 days with no additional fees and that I would not be locked in to a contract. On my end, if I decided to cancel, I would be responsible for sending back the equipment. That is all I am requesting. I want the original sales call to be honored.

6 REPLIES 6
Liz

Hi JulieM,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We can certainly look into requesting your sales call for review to determine whether the sales rep set the appropriate expectations. I'll post back once I get the results. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi JulieM,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated your concerns.  Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

natashaa
Freshman

I set up my service less than 30 days ago. The connection is trash. Basic phone apps will not load nor will Netflix or anything for that matter on our Roku. I was told upon setting this service up that there was NO contract and I could cancel ANYTIME for $40. Well that’s definitely a lie!!

I have tried to call and resolve this. They just want to test my connection. I live in the country sourrounded by trees. The tech told me during installation that it may not work. && it doesn’t. They also told me if a tech comes back out and determines that the service doesn’t work they will NOT charge me any fees.

I have tried calling to get the recording of when I first called and set the service up. They kept transferring me and finally told me to call Pre-installation 1-866-774-6580. But of course it’s after 5pm on Friday so I have to wait until Monday.. I’m assuming come Monday they will not be able to track the recording from my very first call because of some reason. How convenient for them that will be...

I see here on this community board that numerous others have had similar situations.. I refuse to pay for a service that doesn’t work nor will I pay the EFT when I was told differently from the very start. Please, wave my fees and cut my service off. Now!
EdRiley59

guess what... same thing just happened to me!! i only have had it for 4 days. I have already posted my complaint on this as well.. waiting to hear back from someone.. anyone.. maybe someone is sitting in the satellite itself can help me. But I feel your pain, sales person told me the SAME thing. I am getting ready to start filing a complant with the better business bureau about unfair business practices. This time I am being told i have to pay 800 dollars plus termination fees... even thou I was told by the sales rep that i could cancel within the 30 days. terrible...

Please do fill a complaint with the bereau!!! They are scamming people & it isn’t right. I have filled a complaint on here and by phone to get my original service call and like expected. Nothing. Please let me know if your issue is resolved.

Hi Natasha,

I've responded to you regarding your concerns in your thread here

Thank you,

Amanda