Scam or Legit?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonbarnette
Sophomore

Scam or Legit?

Not sure what board to post this on, as its rather odd that this has happened in general. Been getting a windows pop up claiming my card is no longer working and needs to be fixed. Not an email..a full on pop up that takes place of my window. 

Screenshot_10.png

10 REPLIES 10
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

IF, IF, Hughesnet finally fixed the messages system, you will occasionaly get a popup, or a redirect when a payment is past due, and your credit/debit card information has expired.

The following things can cause a card to no longer be valid.

1: If an expiration date has been reached.
2: If the security code on the back of your card is no longer the same.
3: If your financial institution has blocked the charge.

I wouldn't click the links nor call that number, but would do the following to ensure my card information is accurate.

1: At the top of this website go to My Account
2: Click on Account Information on the pop-down
3: Under Payment Type at the bottom click on Update

This will allow you to re-enter your information, if these messages are from hughesnet, it may take 24 to 48 hours before the system stops generating those popups.

Card isnt expired nor has anything been changed. It's funny because I don't even pay my bill through hughesnet...its bundled through Direct TV

After looking closer at the image, that is in fact a real message from Hughesnet...

You may want to make sure your billing information is up to date through both DTV and Hughesnet, as Hughesnet has apparently marked your account for having inaccurate payment information.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Though it may very well be legit, it's always best to sign in directly rather than clicking on anything that's in a popup or email.   That way you know you're safe. 

maratsade

@Jonbarnette, the only ones who can tell you for sure are the reps, who can check your card from their side.  They may be on later today, after 9 a.m.

@Liz

@Amanda

I wouldn't click on any popup or link, no matter how legit it looks.  Log in and check your account yourself. 

Good morning folks,

Thank you for bringing this up, certainly a valid concern. This is actually a legit message; messages.hughesnet.com is ours. This sort of issue is directed to that number provided, so it is safe to call.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Well could you all kindly stop spamming my system with these messages, when its already getting paid for? Its not even due till the 17th of this month. I've lost two documents from it taking over the web page and causing my "submit" to not go through. I don't understand why it's spamming me whenever its not even due yet. 

GabeU

@Jonbarnette

The due date on HughesNet bills is for those who pay manually, but automatic payments are withdrawn the day the bill is generated.  Because of this, it's likely that the message will continue to show until the bill is paid.  

If it's already been paid it shouldn't still be popping up.  If this is the case, try power cycling your modem, which is unplugging it, waiting for at least 30 seconds, then plugging it back in.  This may reset the message.  

Hi Jon,

I investigated further for you and see that although you ordered via a DirecTV source, your HughesNet bill is separate from your DirecTV bill. Your case notes from your latest calls with us indicated you weren't able to access your HughesNet bills online, is that still the case?

If you would like to view or pay your bill, please log into the Support Center:http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com and follow the instructions here: http://hninfo.us/viewbill If you want to see a breakdown of your bill, open the bill and click the "View Site Details" link in the bottom left corner:

If you're seeing an error at any point, please let me know what the error is, and when it pops up. Providing a screenshot in this case would be helpful.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.