Hughesnet Community

Service not what sales claimed it would be.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brayhaven
Freshman

Service not what sales claimed it would be.

I’ve had Hughesnet over a month and it’s worthless to me.  The salespeople asked me to describe what I do online, which I did, some YouTube videos, spots streaming and some movies.  It does none of that, zero.  Where’s the “high speed Internet” they advertise & promise? Where’s the “broadband”?

I check speed and get 1.1-1.3 mbps download.  Where’s that 25mbps.  
I want this service terminated and all monies refunded. Send a shipping label for the equipment which will be returned.  
Can’t even watch a you tube video, without numerous interruptions, some last so long I just give up.

the sales people lied, the advertising lies.

If you really have the sales calls recorded, you can see that I was told this service would work fine for my needs.  
im formally requesting my service be terminated based on breach of contract, lying sales staff and false advertising.  
hopefully won’t have to get a small claims judgement.  

26 REPLIES 26
Remy

Brayhaven,

Thanks for reaching out! It seems this is one of your first posts. Welcome to the Community! I was able to locate your HughesNet account attached to your Community profile. Upon looking into the account, it seems you have high speed data remaining. After running a few speed tests, it seems the modem is producing speeds on average of around 26mbps download. When running these speed tests, were you using a device directly connected to the modem? 

We strongly recommend lowering the resolution settings of your streaming services to a Standard or Medium setting, as this can often help with buffering issues you may be experiencing. I also see that you have a Hopper3 connected. This device can cause service interruptions on certain occasions. I'd recommend removing it for a brief period to see if the service quality increases!

In addition, I'll have a request put in to have the sales call reviewed!

Thanks,

Remy

Are you saying this won’t download a movie in HD?   

I had no trouble using what won’t work now, with the speeds on my speed check app at 6-8mbps.  It doesn’t matter what the modem shows, if I can’t get it to work.

I described my usage and was assured it would work.  It does not.

it would be a pain to have to go disconnect my TV satellite every time I use my tablet!
Why would your system be showing my TV service.  They shouldn’t be connected.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Brayhaven wrote:

Why would your system be showing my TV service.  They shouldn’t be connected.

When the reps check your HughesNet equipment remotely they're able to see what devices are connected to it.

maratsade

"I want this service terminated and all monies refunded."

You can only request cancellation by calling the 800 number.  If the service works (for example, if your modem is showing your speed to be 26 Mbps), it's likely the fine for early termination will be valid. 

26mbps? 😂😂   I can’t even show 2.  And what worked with what I’m trying to do was half what they claim I’m getting.  
if it doesn’t get to my device(s), it’s no good to me. 

maratsade

It's what's showing on their side, apparently. This means the issue is on your side. 

Ok, I’ll try to figure it out.  Do I need a computer to connect to the unit? 
not sure if I have a cable.

maratsade

How do you connect now? Is it just with your TV? Or do you use a cell phone or tablet?  

I use an iPad, or cell phone.  
finally got on my test.net.  It showed 29 mbps.  Which is ludicrous as I still can’t stream a you tube video.  
tried my speed check app and it showed .71 MBPS.

which corresponds with the capability I’m getting.  No idea where the other test gets their numbers, but they don’t jive with reality.  As far as usable download capability. 
I looked and couldn’t find any connection to my TV or hopper.  They’re totally separate.  Moved them apart and disconnected the roku unit.

still no change. 

Brayhaven,

The Hopper3 is connected via WiFi on your hug2g network. Have you attempted to lower the resolution settings of the YouTube videos? 

Thanks,

Remy

So do I have to disconnect my Dish network every time I get on my iPad?  And watch grainy movies?

never had to do anything like that before.  So you can have TV or Internet, but not both?
why didn’t the service guy who installed it mention any of that.. or the   sales person telling me how great it would be?

maratsade

"Which is ludicrous as I still can’t stream a you tube video.  
tried my speed check app and it showed .71 MBPS."

Likely your app doesn't detect satellite internet speed well.

You can stream just fine with 3 Mbps. The problem is not a speed one, it's a congestion and latency one. Congestion as in too many people trying to stream, which satellite internet is not ideal for, and latency, as in the inherent latency of satellite internet plus internet and network latency.

Ok, I understand that hughesnet is not suitable for streaming normally.

why don’t they tell you that when they’re selling you on the service.  Oh, possibly because no one would sign up.

as I understand it, Hughesnet has about 5 times more subscribers than the single satellite can properly provide for.   
That might be the problem.  
my brother had it years ago and it worked for him, but there were fewer people using it.

maratsade

It works for me too, so really, it depends on a lot of things, including where in the beam area the user is located, and likely the user's internet habits. 

"Hughesnet has about 5 times more subscribers than the single satellite can properly provide for.  "

Please provide a source for this information. Also, there isn't a single satellite. I believe there are two in service at the moment.  

That was in a research report I read on it when I was trying to find out why it wasn’t working for me.  
it said there was only one satellite and a capability of something  like 240K subscribers capability at the advertised volume & speed.  
not sure what the date was on it, but seemed well

researched 

GabeU

@Brayhaven wrote:

it said there was only one satellite and a capability of something  like 240K subscribers capability at the advertised volume & speed. 

Keep in mind, however, that because system load varies, the system can actually support a much larger number of subscribers.

The only way they could remain a viable company with a low enough subscriber base to guarantee 25Mbps at any given time, barring technical or weather related issues, would be to charge an inordinately high monthly fee. Likely upwards of $500 or more.  Maybe even $1000.

Starlink does pretty well 50-150 mbps for 110/mo after equipment purchase. 

GabeU

nt

maratsade

@Brayhaven wrote:

Starlink does pretty well 50-150 mbps for 110/mo after equipment purchase. 

Ha  ha! To quote Spock: After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting.

I’m finding that with HN.  
Should have stayed with DSL.  
Starlink gets good reviews as best sat interne.  

spock was thinking Star Trek, not star link 😎