Hughesnet Community

The look of the home page.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljnich

The look of the home page.

Why is the home page so tacky? Some of the ads and fake news look disgusting. I understand the need for sponsors. But these ads and fake news blurbs are ridiculous And it's a visual nightmare. Can't you classy up the home page so I don't feel like I've opened some tacky magazine? I'm embarrassed to have anyone looking over my shoulder at the ridiculous internet provider I pay for. Don't bother to respond here. I won't check back. I'll know you read this when the home page is improved..
35 REPLIES 35
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Looks like those paws are on the verge of digging right in and getting ready to go!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I really shake my head when someone posts "The sales person said this plan would be all I need".

There is no way anyone can accurately account for a users browser settings, browser extensions, browsing habits and a multitude of system settings in a brief phone call.

Websites change, usually without warning. Recently, using IE, (no ad block or browser extensions) I accessed some pages of election results from MSN.com. Most of them contained auto-start video somewhere within the page ... that you didn't see right away and therefore it consumed data.

I keep IE "clean" so as to have a source of browser comparison if needed, and yes I could have switched to another browser and avoided that extra usage.

There is no way anyone could give more than general ball park figure. If a user leaves an auto refresh tab open it is going to use data like mad.

That really is more of a case of a user not understanding how their computer and a constantly changing internet operate.

Its a user problem, not an ISP problem.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It is what unlimited cable allowance has created and that appears to be coming to a halt. Even cable can't keep up with unlimited allowance in the far term. Unless some super duper compression technology comes along. People on cable internet don't have a clue how much data they use.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The page looks different today.  Has HN updated it?
maratsade

I really shake my head when someone posts "The sales person said this plan would be all I need".

It was suggested to me that 10 GB would be plenty, but I went with 15. The user should determine this, perhaps do a bit of research before signing up.  The ISP provides a bucket of data. How to use it and manage it is the user's responsibility.
maratsade

She looks ready to catch some vermin!
maratsade

She looks ready to catch some vermin!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
maratsade

I remember the announcement about this community site, but not this one.  Both look different.   Not sure I like the new look for the community site....It seems clunkier.
maratsade

It is what unlimited cable allowance has created and that appears to be coming to a halt. Even cable can't keep up with unlimited allowance in the far term.
I thought the FCC had banned data-capping for 7 years, at least for Time Warner and whoever it was that merged with it. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I thought they only said providers can't limit or charge content providers extra for the amount they use, like Netflix. Maybe I need to read the whole thing again.
maratsade

"First, for seven years, we prohibit New Charter from imposing data caps or charging usage-based pricing for its residential broadband service. This condition ensures that New Charter will continue Charter’s past pricing practices and protects subscribers from paying fees designed to make online video consumption more expensive leading subscribers to stick with a traditional pay-TV bundle." (Page 4 of this document, No 9).

Also this, posted on DSL Reports.
GabeU

Ugh.  I'm still waiting to get a pic of my folks' miniature dachshund puppy.  We got our first snowstorm this weekend, including falling tree limbs due to some crazy wind, so didn't have a chance to get it. 
GabeU

Using Hughesnet's home page isn't a requirement of the service.   You can use any home page you want.  Is this really something to complain about? 

Chris11
Alum

Hi ljnich,

Thanks for your feedback. Many things are being looked into based off of the response we've gotten from this new update. Can't say we'll specifically make everyone happy with the changes, however everything is being considered. 

- Chris