Hughesnet Community

Upgrading to Gen 5 will cost me another 450 after less than a year of purchasing Gen 4 equipment

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobCatFox
New Poster

Upgrading to Gen 5 will cost me another 450 after less than a year of purchasing Gen 4 equipment

We bought our Gen 4 equipment in July of 2016 for 450.00 figuring we would save money in the long run rather than paying 15.00 a month to lease.  After less than a year, I received a flyer about Gen 5 and called to find out about upgrading.  I was told I would either have to buy all new equipment for 450.00 or start paying 15.00 a month to lease the equipment.  I was never told when I purchased the equipment that I would not be able to upgrade to the next best, which of course I had assumed.  So instead of paying 450.00, had I leased the equipment I would have only invested 165.00 up until that point to lease. 

Needless to say, I am furious and definitely feel this should have been explained when I decided to purchase.  Obviously, had I known there was a chance the equipment I paid 450 for would be basically worthless less than a year later, I would have leased the equipment. 

I will not recommend this service to anybody and have already told several people about my personal experience and how I feel I was really screwed in this situation.  When my contract is up, I will leave and never come back.

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BobCatFox

Hopefully a rep will look into this for you.  They are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, so you won't get a reply from one until at least Monday.

With that said, if the equipment, including the dish, was purchased and installed for Gen4 in July of 2016, the dish itself should not need to be replaced.  The most they should need to do, barring some type of obstruction (like a tree), is repoint the dish and change the polatiry of the feed horn.  It should not need to be replaced.  But, you'll still need a new modem with Gen5.  

I have no clue as to what the charge would be for any of this.  

With all of that said, I don't work for Hughesnet, so don't take what I say as concrete, but I'm pretty sure about this.  

Just out of curiosity, was this flyer from Hughesnet themselves or a reseller?  

Good morning BobCatFox,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear that, I understand your frustration. Our latest satellite was just launched in December, so it will be many years before we get a new satellite and our next generation of satellite technology.

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!