cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Willaurean
Freshman

Want to cancel after 6 Weeks

Hello, 

I am extremely disappointed with the service.   It has been 6 weeks of constant batting with bandwidth.

Customer service has been contacted twice re. issues, has explained why pages load slowly (because of all the pictures etc...) and tells us we need to upgrade our package.   We have to shut all devices down to get just one to work, inadequately at that. We were assured that a tv, tablet, and two phones would work just fine.  In order to stream to the television, I have to disable WiFi and do a direct LAN.

I do not want to upgrade, I am not happy with Hughes net, and would like to cancel with out paying termination fees.  6 weeks is more than adequate time to determine if the product sold is not the product promised.

Thank you for any help you may provide.

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Willaurean

Are you sure you have not run out of data?  

How is it that you're trying to stream on your TV?  If you're using an app on your TV and you're trying to stream in anything higher than SD, you're probably going to need to turn off, or pause, the Video Data Saver, which you can do in the Video Settings of your HughesNet Usage Meter or by signing in to the HughesNet MyAccount site and clicking on the Settings tab.  

What is Video Data Saver?

If you are streaming through satellite TV receiver, you would definitely need to toggle the Video Data Saver, but satellite TV receivers are recommended against using with HughesNet due to the amount of data they can use, which can't be controlled. 

Keep in mind that streaming in HD can use a LOT of data.   

If you're able to stream when using a LAN cable, but not with WiFi, there may be some WiFi settings adjustments that could help bring the speed up.  

As for cancelling without an ETF, the reps will almost assuredly need to troubleshoot your service to see if they can get it working properly before considering a cancellation without an ETF.  

Thank you, Gabe.

Yes, I utilized the video data saver with no success.

I mirrored from my phone, tried chromecast, smart tv, smart blue ray, basically every solution I could attempt all with the same results.

GabeU

@Willaurean

As previously mentioned, there may be a WiFi settings change that could help, as if it works with a LAN cable it should work with WiFi, but at this point I would wait for what the rep says.  They may also want to move this thread to the Tech Support seciton to troubleshoot the issue.    

In the meantime, if you don't already, I would leave your modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  

The reps are on M-F from 8AM to 5PM EST, but it can take them a day or two to reply.  I hope they reply to you soon.  

Thanks again, Gabe.  I appreciate your help.

GabeU

@Willaurean wrote:

Thanks again, Gabe.  I appreciate your help.

You're very welcome.  Sorry I couldn't do much, at least at this point, but hopefully you'll get a resolution, one way or the other.  🙂  

GabeU

@Willaurean

I'm going to go ahead and tag the reps, too.  They'll almost assuredly see this thread without me needing to do so, but they're a busy bunch, so I just want to be sure that they do.  🙂  

@Liz

@Amanda

@Hal

Good morning Willaurean,

Thanks for posting. I saw your other thread before I saw this one. I checked your account again this morning and I see that you reactivated your service, so let's address your data concerns. Currently you are being subject to the Fair Access Policy, so that's why your speeds are reduced. I sent you some complimentary tokens so we can troubleshoot without worrying about the reduced speeds. 

To use your data tokens, access your Usage Meter (the application or online). 

Click the Buy Tokens button.

The next screen will show you the number of tokens available for use. 

Click the Use link next to the the number of tokens you have.

This will increase your TOKEN BYTES AVAILABLE amount, not your Anytime Bytes, and restore speeds. 

You can use these tokens at your convenience when you have time to investigate your unidentified data usage. GlassWire is a 3rd party program that's been suggested by other community members to help you determine what on your computer is connecting to the internet and using your data. This is a helpful tool since we cannot determine exactly what is using your data.

If you rather tackle your speed concerns instead, use a token so you can run some speed tests for us to evaluate. 

Please create a testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Post your test results link here in your thread.

Most important points to remember during this test:

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)

-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Willaurean,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!