Attn: Gabe, Mark, others...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Attn: Gabe, Mark, others...

Please refrain from sharing links to my website for articles that may assist others.  With Win7 support ending (yeah, who runs a webserver on Win7...), I have to disable my server effective tonight, till I have a chance to move to another OS.  It will probably be some time before I can make the move due to work.  Thanks.

@GabeU @MarkJFine 

Also, interesting to see that a label is now required here, that's kinda funny and confused me for a moment.

11 REPLIES 11
MarkJFine
Professor

Go Linux... or Android...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I would go Linux, but, the way the site is setup makes that a pain... I have been using LetsEncrypt, and they have an auto-update function for Windows ISS that updates the certs before they expire.  I also have a few hidden directories that only I and certain friends can access for... sharing enjoyable retro things which is located on a shared drive, and I have zero idea how to do that under any linux distro.  The first time I setup the website was on Ubuntu and quickly went windows for ease of use.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Okie dokie.  

I can just imagine what it will be like migrating things over to a new OS.  If you don't already have one, don't forget how I was able to get Windows 10.  You could probably do the same thing.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Well, ended up going with ubuntu, spent pretty much the last week trying to figure things out and get it going again.  I swear to god, whoever decided to move things from one location to another, but also keep the old file in the old location with settings that are 100% ignored, and makes no mention of having to make those settings elsewhere, should be shot.  Took me 3 days to figure out why the absolute **bleep** .htaccess was being ignored with AllowOverride All set in the website config... Oh, no, in Apache2 "we moved that setting to Apache2.conf, but we left the old entry in 000-default.conf because we was too lazy to remove it, heck, we was too lazy to notify you!".

All that aside, the website is back, database migration was a headache as the latest MySQL wasn't in the repository and urgh.  That was a fun thing to find out!  I swear, people gripe about Windows, but when you sit there and go, "wait, what? why do I have a 6 year old friggen package installed and not the latest?" just because some maintainer or developer hasn't updated a repository since before the release of the OS version you're running... ARGH, anyways, back to life I go. -sneaks back into the shadows-

Linux is favorable to those who are familiar to it. It's a hipster thing... and because it's free.

Has nothing to do with it being more robust or easier to use. In fact it's quite the opposite, making sysads more of a valuable commodity.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Never said it would be easier, just don't remember having these issues the last time I tried running the website on ubuntu.

Lol... I'm just being cynical.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Sometimes I feel like I should pay you to do this stuff for me 😛

I actually found my old .htaccess file that I was using long ago that had a list of browsers and other things that should be blocked, ended up being able to salvage that 😄

I got a new one for you if you want it. This one's a little over 300k.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You should totally send that to me so I have an updated list, seeing as this file is like, 2+ years old.

Oh, also found that there's a package for letsencrypt that runs on ubuntu. 😄

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@C0RR0SIVE 

I have absolutely no idea what the heck any of that means.  😛  I'm just glad you were able to get it back up and running.  Good job!  🙂