Got a Raspberry PI 3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Got a Raspberry PI 3

Bought the kit with pretty much everything other that mouse/keyboard. What a fun little computer in a small box. There is even a Ubuntu Mate image for it. Using it as an OSMC/Kodi media player for now. At least 4-5 OS variations for it. Hashtag Fun/Nerd. Smiley Happy

41 REPLIES 41
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Those kits do look pretty fun.  They kind of remind me of the electronics kits you could get when I was a kid.  They came with the board and wires and all sorts of stuff.  

I was looking at them on Amazon and one of them might be in my future.  They're pretty inexpensive, too, considering.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I have always thought about buying one with an SD Card Slot and a small microSD card... They make excellent webservers for a basic website!

Or gutting an old hand held gaming system like a gameboy and loading every emulator you can find on it for the ultimate mobile gaming experience!

@Amanda wrote:

Or gutting an old hand held gaming system like a gameboy and loading every emulator you can find on it for the ultimate mobile gaming experience!

That got my attention... 👀

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Amanda wrote:

Me thinks you speak of RetroPie: http://www.emulationstation.org/gettingstarted.html

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

@Amanda wrote:

Me thinks you speak of RetroPie: http://www.emulationstation.org/gettingstarted.html

I bet that would be a blast.  I've never owned a hand held gaming system, but I used to run a couple of emulators on my old desktop and play NES/SNES games, which was very fun.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

That whole RetroPI thing was another project I was wanting to do.  Would make excellent gifts for people for Christmas that don't have technical knowledge, couldn't get a Classic NES last christmas, and that LOVE "retro" gaming.

I got the VICE emulator for C64 stuff which has some weirdness on a Mac.

If it runs on a R-PI it'd be like 1983 with "Beach Head" all over again.

Found this:

Beach Head.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

Well, I took the plunge and just ordered the Pi 3 B+.  Should be here next week.  I want to set it up to run old NES and SNES games.  Bought a retro controller and HDMI to DVI cable, as my monitor doesn't have an HDMI connection.  Should be pretty cool.  It ought to be fun.  I'll probably get another micro SD card later so I can try other stuff with it, too.  

And to think, I'll finally have something that can use the 5Ghz WiFi in the HT2000W.  😛  

Capture.JPG

GabeU

Havne't sparked it up, yet.  Will do that tomorrow.  🙂  

100_0003.jpg

100_0013.jpg

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Have fun @GabeU, I've been using mine as a media player with OSMC/Kodi installed, works great. Lots of OS's and packages for it including Ubuntu MATE.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Finally decided to post up the pictures of mine, it's a Pi3 B+, built as a birthday gift for a family member.

Also, yes, those power buttons work exactly as if it was an old NES.

RetroPi DashboardRetroPi DashboardYAY FOR RETRO~~~YAY FOR RETRO~~~Better look of the Pi and daughter boardsBetter look of the Pi and daughter boardsEverything togetherEverything together

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Really cool little case @C0RR0SIVE. Didn't even know those where out there, switches and all, nice.

GabeU

Well, I finally sparked it up.  I used the OS it came with, which installed when first starting it up.  I'm amazed at how responsive this thing is for the price.  I connected to the internet via WiFi, and it worked perfectly.  I've got to get more used to this Raspbian, but I will, I'm sure.  

Today I ordered two more 16GB micro SD cards.  One for Retro Pi, the gaming OS, and one for something else, which may end up being Ubuntu MATE, since I've used MATE and like it, and I've used Ubuntu in the past, and liked it, too.  Next month I plan on getting a second Pi kit to use with the Retro Pi loaded micro SD card, as I don't want to have to keep changing the cards to use what I want.  That way I can have one that's dedicated to the gaming and the other that's dedicated to the regular OS.   

The only problem I have is that my monitor doesn't have an HDMI port.  It has a DVI port, instead.  I purchased an HDMI to DVI cable, and it works, but because of the way Dell designed this monitor it is quite a challenge to attach the new cable to the DVI port on the back, as it is a VERY tight fit.  The video card in my desktop, besides the two DVI ports, has a mini HDMI port, so along with the two micro SD cards I just ordered I got a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter.  This way, I can connect the HDMI to DVI cable to the monitor permanently.  Doing such, I can much more easily switch between using my desktop and the Raspberry Pi with the monitor.  🙂   

I also found out that my wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse work with the Raspberry Pi.  The less cables, the better. 

And, of course, once I get the Retro Pi set up I'm going to connect it to my TV.  SNES games on a 40" HD TV.  Gotta love it!!!   

GabeU

Tried it with my TV today.  Man, I love this thing.  It's going to look great with the gaming OS.  I'm getting really antsy.  

I should be getting the other micro sd cards in on Tuesday.  Amazon changed my shipping to next day free of charge, as they screwed up my order again this month.  Well, this one was even worse as they double pre-authorized my order with my bank, which means my bank is holding twice the amount.  It should have been about $70, but they're holding that $70 twice.  One of them is legit and the other will drop off of my account in five business days and the funds will again be available, but it screwed up a second order I had in there as it came back insufficient funds when they went to charge it.  I had to cancel it.  Once the funds are available again and I place the second order again they are going to give me next day shipping on that, as well, to help make up for the debacle.  What a headache!!!!

I've also been looking at all of the accessories you can get for them.  Pretty darn neat.  🙂

I bet the people who created them never thought they'd take off the way they have.  After all, they were originally designed for school kids.  LOL.  

maratsade

"One of them is legit and the other will drop off of my account in five business days and the funds will again be available, but it screwed up a second order I had in there as it came back insufficient funds when they went to charge it. "

Jeez, they owe you a lot of free shipping for this.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"One of them is legit and the other will drop off of my account in five business days and the funds will again be available, but it screwed up a second order I had in there as it came back insufficient funds when they went to charge it. "

Jeez, they owe you a lot of free shipping for this.

Free next day shipping for a year!  LOL.  😛 

maratsade

YES, at the very least!

@GabeU wrote:

Free next day shipping for a year!  LOL.  😛 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

I bet the people who created them never thought they'd take off the way they have.  After all, they were originally designed for school kids.  LOL.  

They missed the "old nerd geek" factor.

A very fun micro computer that is much more powerful than my first 8088 based computer. Things sure have advanced since then.

@BirdDog wrote:

A very fun micro computer that is much more powerful than my first 8088 based computer. Things sure have advanced since then.

Wait... more fun than one of these?
IMG_0426.JPG

Yes, it's stowed safely under the equipment table. I just can't bear to part with it.