Massive outage underway

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Massive outage underway

Several gateways are out on J2, incl. ALB, SDO, SEA maybe more... just in case anyone starts a rant.
Edit: Add BOI and NLV to this.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
49 REPLIES 49
Tazkidd892
Freshman

How long does the outages last? I've been a customer for only a month and this is my first
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

NOR gateway on Gen 4 is fine, believe J2 beams also go through it. Actually hope it is gateway problems, not the satellite, much easier to fix something on the ground side.

NOR actually has 5 J2 beams: 9, 50, 69, 75, and 81.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

For those indicating they have outages, these are not problems local to your dish. These are outages at a few of the gateways across the country. Your dish goes to the satellite spot beam which then comes back down to one of these gateways/ground stations before it goes out to the internet. That’s where the outages are.

Makes sense. Just a wait and see thing then.

Y’all should be watching the Rose Bowl while they fix it. This game is insane.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

...not a sports guy, and even if I was, no signal to watch 🙂

@BirdDog nope, it's not...  But yeah, no way this can be a gateway issue, too many gateways down at one time...  Unlikely they was all randomly nuked. lol

Also, I feel so alone trying to make sure everyone that pops in knows what's happening.  They don't pay me enough for this! (J/k, not employed by Hughes, I work at Amazon!)

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

...not a sports guy, and even if I was, no signal to watch 🙂

@BirdDog nope, it's not...  But yeah, no way this can be a gateway issue, too many gateways down at one time...  Unlikely they was all randomly nuked. lol

Also, I feel so alone trying to make sure everyone that pops in knows what's happening.  They don't pay me enough for this! (J/k, not employed by Hughes, I work at Amazon!)

Well, was hoping some massive server software glitch or something. Like y2k year change or similar, based on the year change. Doesn't sound good.  Amazon........lol.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Don't diss me working there, I make more than than I have anywhere else (twice as much!) with AMAZINGLY good benefits! 😄

I had hopes it was just a gateway till I saw other posts elsewhere showing different gateways down... 😞

I’m not much for pros anymore, but have been on/off the college game for decades. The game has certainly changed tho. I tend to like Premier League footie more because it’s quick-paced, few breaks in the action, and no commercials. 90+ minutes of action played in roughly 105 minutes, vs. 60 minutes of action in 3.5-4 hours.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:
Y’all should be watching the Rose Bowl while they fix it. This game is insane.

I lost interest some 30+ years ago when overseas in Germany. Came back and everything had changed, especially the pro side. Just got out of the habit of watching I guess. Was never a big fan (fanatic) to begin with.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Sad to say @BirdDog it's not a gateway issue... We are looking at bird issues.

Bummer.....not a good New Year's gift.  

Well, it would sure be nice if HughesNet sent out emails to all subscribers informing them of an outage.  With HughesNet down and the support phone lines jammed, how the **bleep** is anyone supposed to know what's going on?  At least people with smart phones can access their email through those networks and receive news or updates about an outage.  Why doesn't HughesNet do this for its subscribers?

@CDMman

There were the announcements here. I was able to access this site from my phone.

There were also numerous announcements on social media as well, Twitter in particular.

Email would have been nice too, but... they didn't. I didn't even check to see if HN's email was operational, tbh.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I accessed the site with my phone -- they had announced the issue in plenty of places, but it seems that they can't win and someone, somewhere will be ticked off.

@maratsade wrote:

I accessed the site with my phone -- they had announced the issue in plenty of places, but it seems that they can't win and someone, somewhere will be ticked off.

Yeh, will be that case always... even if you hand that person $1000... they may still be mad. <grin>

But yeh, I would be in the mass email if possible for major outages.

Where I live, my cell service is VERY spotty.  If I leave the phone 2nd story in the window, I slowly get emails and if they sent one.... it would allow me to know there is a problem.  So my phone was in the window upstairs from 5PM PST until I went to bed around 12:30AM PST and still had not service here.  I am on the J2GIL so was out from around 5PM and on if memory serves.  Reset the modem a couple times during that until I said major problem, just go to bed. hehe.

I don't have enough cell access to do any browsing so could not visit community.  Service comes and goes for me around 1 bar to non to 3 to no service.  😉

TJ

But that also raises an interesting question in causality: If you have no service how would you get the email...

@MarkJFine wrote:

But that also raises an interesting question in causality: If you have no service how would you get the email...

@MarkJFine, yeh, it is impossible to hit every scenario but like @maratsade noted, he gets emails on his cell too.  My guess many people will have a 2nd avenue to get email, maybe from a phone, so at least it is one more what I consider simple option for Hughes to implement.

I am in a boat where I live in the sticks and cell coverage stinks, but just kinda comes in enough if I leave the phone untouched for a bit, it collects emails.  If I saw one from Hughes, it would have been a flag that it was not my side of things, taking some of the tension off.

Probably a cheap avenue for them to follow in big scale outages like I consider this last one.

TJ

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@macsocietymakes a good point, and sending out a quick email to subscribers may be a good idea -- that way they add another way for people to know -- though I'm sure some people would still be steamed over something or other, maybe because the company didn't skywrite it or send heralds door to door. 

Eons ago when my  satellite connection would fail due to a small wind or some moisture from the sky, they had a recording on their customer service line, so when you called you got the announcement that way.  I guess they have many more subscribers now and when they all call at once they clog the lines.