cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pet peeve thread......

OK, happy holidays! Here we go......

I hate, hate the "in line" versus "on line" thing. Many use "on line" to describe standing "in line". Drives me nuts!

So instead of standing "in" a line of people you are standing "on" a line that isn't even there?

Nuts.gif

29 REPLIES 29
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Though this doesn't really have much to do with the holidays, my biggest pet peeve is people pronouncing commonly used words incorrectly, though I usually don't say so as it makes me sound "snobby."  

For instance...

It's REALTOR, not REALITOR.  

It's ESPECIALLY, not EXPECIALLY.  And along those same lines, it's ESCAPE, not EXCAPE. 

It's JEWELRY, not JEWLERY.  

And one of the ones that's like nails on a chalkboard:  It's HEIGHT, not HEIGHTH.  There's no TH sound at the end.  Ugh!  With so many people saying HEIGHTH, it's strange that you never hear people say WEIGHTH.  😛 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@GabeU

Some of your peeves are from different accents found all over the country... Around here, most everyone says it the way you don't like. 😛

Creek vs. Crick 😛

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@GabeU

Some of your peeves are from different accents found all over the country... Around here, most everyone says it the way you don't like. 😛

Creek vs. Crick 😛

No.  And accent is an accent, and there are a lot of them in this country.  A mispronunciation is a mispronunciation.  Two entirely different things.  

Crick can be considered an alternative pronunciation of creek, which is related to "accents" as it concerns the pronunciation of the vowel, which is a component of the differences in accents.  What I listed are mispronunciations, not alternative pronunciations, nor differing accents.  They're mispronunciations. They're also not restricted to any particular region.  They're mispronounced everywhere. 

BTW, I used to say crick when I was a little kid.  It's common in this area.    

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

/shrugs/ don't ever come to the south then, otherwise you will want to strangle many, many people.

LMAO.  I don't think I'd go that far.  😛

But, like I said, it's everywhere.  I hear it here, too.  

You say Potatoe, I say Tator.

maratsade

@gokartergo24 wrote:

You say Potatoe, I say Tator.

Let's call the whole thing off....  🙂

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well....I just watched Mudbound and what a wakeup! Very sad what was happening even in the 40's and 50's. I'm old enough to know much of that actually happened, or very similar. To think people who fought in the war had to come back and experience that. Shameful.

Another pet peeve.....predjudice.

@BirdDog wrote:

Another pet peeve.....predjudice.

Yes, of any kind. At some point, we'll become a single race of humans instead of something akin to a tribal society based upon artifical labels and classifications. Unfortunately that won't happen in our lifetime.

Contributing to the pet peeve theme is how people automatically, and incorrectly call something 'racist' rather than 'prejudice' nowadays, probably because it has more shock effect.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I honestly hope we mix and become one. This race stuff is ridiculous IMO. Like saying a German Sheppard is better than a Labrador or Poodle. In the end we are all human beings. 

I sure helped derail my own thread. To me "Make America Great Again" means all of us learning to get along. Hope that's not being political. Just a fact of life if you ask me.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/prejudice

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

I honestly hope we mix and become one. This race stuff is ridiculous IMO. Like saying a German Sheppard is better than a Labrador or Poodle. In the end we are all human beings. 

I sure helped derail my own thread. To me "Make America Great Again" means all of us learning to get along. Hope that's not being political. Just a fact of life if you ask me.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/prejudice

I could not agree more!  

maratsade

"It's REALTOR, not REALITOR. "

But Realitor makes a great name for a cheesy sci-fi character.

maratsade

"With so many people saying HEIGHTH, it's strange that you never hear people say WEIGHTH."

I like it. I may start using these and see if I can make them go viral.

maratsade

"No.  And accent is an accent, and there are a lot of them in this country.  A mispronunciation is a mispronunciation.  Two entirely different things." <-- agreed.

Americans pronounce a lot of things differently than we do  across the ocean.  It's been quite interesting for me, as I had always thought the differences weren't as significant as they actually are. (Then there's using completely different words for things, like torch vs. flashlight).

@maratsade

Was going to say... I consider myself pretty well-versed at English (vice American) and still come across a zinger that I have to ask about once in a while.

Makes you wonder how, after more than 240 years language can significantly change.

(brings up one of my peeves... adverbs come before verbs, no?)

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@MarkJFine, this is from the Cambridge dictionary, re the position of adverbs.

maratsade

Great map...learned a couple of words: gullah and ocracoke.

Have always been fascinated by this. We Americans are mostly unaware of the different accents/dialects in the UK. Pretty sure those in Liverpool have invented their own language (e.g., bifters).