Sales Rep Misinformation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heatherd
New Poster

Sales Rep Misinformation

I called Hughes net last month to get info on their plans before signing a lease. I was very specific with the sales rep in terms of my needs. I told her 5 hours of netflix and 6 of internet per day. The sales rep told me 20 gb plan would be fine, when i suggested maybe the 30 gb she said 20 should be fine but that i could switch up if i found i needed to.

i signed the lease on the house, moved in may 14th. I called about slow speed on june 14th only to be told that as a new customer hughes net had given me unlimited use until it got too high and they throttled down on june 7th. my plan was refilled june 14th, i have already used 15 gb of of my plan in 4 days.  I am  paying 80.00 for 8 days of 25 mgb  speed. The extra 10 gb is because i complained and received the 30 gb plan for price of 20 gb. so now i will have 25 mgb speed for 8 days. A far cry from the 20 gb plan will be more then enough.

I proceeded to call hughes net as a new customer and asked first rep what plan i should have with 5 hours of netflix and 6 of internet useage daily, he replied 30 gb plan would be fine, when i questioned him about 1 1/2 streaming equaling.07 gb he got mad and hung up on me. I called again 2nd rep told me that with 5 hours streaming and 6 of internet i would need the 50gb plan when i questioned him, his reply was i didn't say 50 gb would be enough i said it was the largest plan we have. not so. hughes net this is not just one rep without proper training this is a company wide culture of lying to customers about useage and plans to get them to sign up for 2 years, then buy tokens at 75.00 for 25 gb.

this was not a simple case of making a small mistake, any moron would know that 20 gb, 30 gb or even 50 gb  is not enough for 5 hours streaming per day. Yet they all claim these plans would be enough. I call that fraud.  Does anyone else?

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

For more visibility, you should move this to myAccount and Billing

MarkJFine
Professor

Sales people are there to make sales. I understand what you're saying, but if you weren't specific about the display resolution, it's not fraud.*

That said, satellite internet is not really a feasible medium for regular, heavy streaming. Not only does it put a load on your system (as you've seen), but it puts a load on everyone else that uses the same gateway as you, as well, due to the limited bandwidth.

* Disclaimer: I am not a HughesNet employee.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

The sales rep should have been more forthcoming about streaming.  People can stream with HughesNet, but it's not made for cord cutting, or doing a lot of streaming.  However, with that said, and with regard to fraud, I have to agree with what was already said.  Without specific definition, nor when or how the items would be streamed (as in downloading and watching later, or live), the amount in the plan may have been enough.  The variables are too great to say with any certainty.  

But, your best bet, as mentioned, is reposting this in the MyAccount & Billing section and requesting a review of your sales call.  If it's determined that you were misled by the sales rep, you may have recourse in the form of being able to cancel the service without being subject to an Early Termination Fee.  I say may, as I'm not a HughesNet employee and cannot speak for what they will determine, nor do.  

Regarding streaming with Netflix.  The following amounts are approximate...

LD = 300MB per hour

SD = 700MB per hour

HD = 3GB per hour  

So, even in the lowest definition, you're still looking at around 45GB per month (30 days), and that's ONLY the streaming part.  In standard def it's 105GB, and high def it's 450GB.  Again, though, without knowing the definition, nor when or how you would stream, what's adequate is a difficult thing to determine.  

@heatherd wrote:

any moron would know that 20 gb, 30 gb or even 50 gb  is not enough for 5 hours streaming per day

If that's the case, why did you sign up?  

Edit:

@heatherd wrote:

I called about slow speed on june 14th only to be told that as a new customer hughes net had given me unlimited use until it got too high and they throttled down on june 7th.

The relaxed bandwidth period is in effect for the first 20 days of service.  After that first 20 days the data starts being counted like normal.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@heatherd wrote:

any moron would know that 20 gb, 30 gb or even 50 gb  is not enough for 5 hours streaming per day

So, you are calling yourself a moron? That is what it sounds like. My honest apology if not what you are inferring. 

EDIT: Never mind, I reread and see you were inquiring about plans and sales response. Limited satellite plans are simply not a cord cutter option for video bingers.

Tags (0)
maratsade

"The sales rep should have been more forthcoming about streaming.  People can stream with HughesNet, but it's not made for cord cutting, or doing a lot of streaming. "

@GabeU, maybe the sales rep did mention this and the customer misunderstood or misheard -- it's happened before and we used to see that often when the transcripts of sales calls were posted. Without a sales call transcript, we can't be sure if the fault actually does lie with the sales rep.

Has the OP requested a sales call review?

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"The sales rep should have been more forthcoming about streaming.  People can stream with HughesNet, but it's not made for cord cutting, or doing a lot of streaming. "

@GabeU, maybe the sales rep did mention this and the customer misunderstood or misheard -- it's happened before and we used to see that often when the transcripts of sales calls were posted. Without a sales call transcript, we can't be sure if the fault actually does lie with the sales rep.

Very true, and the sales call will determine if that's the case.  

Hello heatherd,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I'd be happy to resolve this for you and have already started investigating your concerns. I have located and pulled your sales call for review, which may take some time for me to complete, but I will have something for you soon.

Thank you,

Amanda

Amanda

Hi Heather,

Thank you for waiting on me, I do appreciate your patience. After a thorough review of the sales call, I definitely agree this sales agent provided a lot of misinformation. We're currently investigating other calls from this sales agent. I will send you a private message with more information on how we can move forward. 

-Amanda

Installer
Sophomore

If any "moron" knows that, how did the sales rep get you to sign up?