cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sayings that irk me

Advanced Tutor

Re: Sayings that irk me

@GabeU, oh no! George W. Bush always said, "nukular"! In fact, there is a classic SNL skit where Bush and Tony Blair are holding a joint press conference. Blair says something about nuclear weapons and Bush corrects him and tells Blair, "It's pronounced NUK U LAR!"
Associate Professor

"Let's all get with the British way and just "queue up" and be "in the queue!""

Jolly good.  Rule Britannia! 

"I like to have my students pier review each other's work."

Brilliant. Both academically stuffy, yet outdoorsy. 

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:a lot of funny things

Associate Professor

"'How else do you expect me to join two independent clauses?'"

How indeed?

Extra kudos for using "et al."

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:

I once text messaged my son, whose reply came back, "You are the only person I know who would use a semi-colon in a text!"

To which I replied, naturally, "How else do you expect me to join two independent clauses?"

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:

@GabeU, my mother, who was an English teacher, and even more of a grammar/spelling/pronunciation police officer than I, would have loved you and your list! Three terms I would add:
•Frustrated, not fustrated

I occasionally hear people say flustrated, as well.  

Oh, and another one:  it's corroborate, not cooberate.  No one has ever cooberated someone's story.  Smiley Tongue 

One of my biggest faults, which ends up happening far too often, is using an apostrophe in the word "its" when I don't need to.  I sometimes misuse commas, as well.  Smiley Sad  

Edit: 

One more, which I heard again tonight, and which has to do with the military, is cache.  It's pronounced as cash, not cashay.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Associate Professor

"One more, which I heard again tonight, and which has to do with the military, is cache.  It's pronounced as cash, not cashay."

I hear this one often.  I wonder if people are thinking of touche?  Annoying all the same.   As for touche, I know someone who uses it incorrectly all the time to mean "kudos."   "Oh, you fixed the water cooler! Touche!"  Groan.

@GabeU wrote: 

One more, which I heard again tonight, and which has to do with the military, is cache.  It's pronounced as cash, not cashay.  

Senior Instructor

I've seen "frutile" constantly misused instead of "futile" by an amateur videoblogger.

Even worse is that it's caught on as a catch phrase.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Associate Professor

Frutile = fruitless + futile

Flustrated = flustered + frustrated

Distinguished Professor II

Another one...

Using loose instead of lose.  I see this one very often.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior Instructor

@GabeU wrote:

Using loose instead of lose.  I see this one very often.  

There's a long list of those. Just some of them:
 - they're/there/their
 - too/to

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Their never going too realize that its not two hard too use proper English.