Sayings that irk me

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sayings that irk me

So, there are common sayings that have two ways of wording them that rub me the wrong way when I hear the expression worded a particular way. Two cases:

1. Standing "online" instead of "inline". Most everywhere I've been there is no line painted on the floor to stand "on" and I'm certainly not standing on top of anyone. Instead, I am standing "in" a line of people.

2. A "bald" faced lie instead of "bold" faced. How does someone have a bald face when it comes to their intention, shave it? Instead I was taught bold face, as a person is being pretty bold to lie to your face.

Yea, I'm being a bit grammar eccentric but makes me cringe a bit when I hear them. Anyone have others?

And happy voting day! Sure glad the political ads will be over although they'll probably start up with the 2020 ones before we get a real rest from it.

36 REPLIES 36

@Jay wrote:

Their never going too realize that its not two hard too use proper English. 

s/English/American/

"proper English" is sooo much different than "proper American". (@maratsade can thank me later.)

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Thank you very much indeed!

@MarkJFine wrote: 

"proper English" is sooo much different than "proper American". (maratsade can thank me later.)

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

---Standing "online" instead of "inline".

Never heard this one!  (And it should be "in line")

Oh, I hear it all the time even from news people. Guess my ears are tuned to detect it. And I debated the one word versus two thing and went with the single, my bad, agree the split is correct. I was joking about the shave thing, just sounds off to me and never use bald in that context.

maratsade

You got another thing coming
It's a doggy dog world
For all intensive purposes

GabeU

In regards to

Irregardless

I could of

@BirdDog, Standing "on line" is an east coast, especially NYC/DC expression, which is why you hear many east coast journalists use it. East coast sitcoms use it too. Jerry Seinfeld used to annoy me with it weekly, haha! To me, it sounds like someone painted a line on the floor and everyone's standing on it. To my daughter, it sounds like they are somehow standing on the internet, lol! On the other hand, standing "in line" is insufferable to those who grew up learning "on line."

That reminds me of how jarring it is to my ears to hear anyone refer to a soft drink as a "pop," when obviously the correct term is "soda." 😉

@maratsade, Let's all get with the British way and just "queue up" and be "in the queue!"

@GabeU, my mother, who was an English teacher, and even more of a grammar/spelling/pronunciation police officer than I, would have loved you and your list! Three terms I would add:
•Frustrated, not fustrated
•Library, not libary
•February, not Febuary

Things I cannot abide seeing in print:
•I need to loose weight.
•I want to see that show to.
•Anything with the word "prolly."
•I actually saw this in a submitted academic journal article from a full professor: I like to have my students pier review each other's work. (What does this entail? Study groups sitting out on a pier? Critical analysis done at the local Pier One Imports?)
•I wish I wouldn't of done that.
•Your welcome!

@maratsade @GabeU @BirdDog @MarkJFine et al.

I once text messaged my son, whose reply came back, "You are the only person I know who would use a semi-colon in a text!"

To which I replied, naturally, "How else do you expect me to join two independent clauses?"

@MarkJFine, I've never heard "physical year," but I love it!!

@GabeU, oh no! George W. Bush always said, "nukular"! In fact, there is a classic SNL skit where Bush and Tony Blair are holding a joint press conference. Blair says something about nuclear weapons and Bush corrects him and tells Blair, "It's pronounced NUK U LAR!"
maratsade

"'How else do you expect me to join two independent clauses?'"

How indeed?

Extra kudos for using "et al."

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:

I once text messaged my son, whose reply came back, "You are the only person I know who would use a semi-colon in a text!"

To which I replied, naturally, "How else do you expect me to join two independent clauses?"

maratsade

"Let's all get with the British way and just "queue up" and be "in the queue!""

Jolly good.  Rule Britannia! 

"I like to have my students pier review each other's work."

Brilliant. Both academically stuffy, yet outdoorsy. 

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:a lot of funny things

GabeU

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:

@GabeU, my mother, who was an English teacher, and even more of a grammar/spelling/pronunciation police officer than I, would have loved you and your list! Three terms I would add:
•Frustrated, not fustrated

I occasionally hear people say flustrated, as well.  

Oh, and another one:  it's corroborate, not cooberate.  No one has ever cooberated someone's story.  😛 

One of my biggest faults, which ends up happening far too often, is using an apostrophe in the word "its" when I don't need to.  I sometimes misuse commas, as well.  😞  

Edit: 

One more, which I heard again tonight, and which has to do with the military, is cache.  It's pronounced as cash, not cashay.  

maratsade

"One more, which I heard again tonight, and which has to do with the military, is cache.  It's pronounced as cash, not cashay."

I hear this one often.  I wonder if people are thinking of touche?  Annoying all the same.   As for touche, I know someone who uses it incorrectly all the time to mean "kudos."   "Oh, you fixed the water cooler! Touche!"  Groan.

@GabeU wrote: 

One more, which I heard again tonight, and which has to do with the military, is cache.  It's pronounced as cash, not cashay.  

I've seen "frutile" constantly misused instead of "futile" by an amateur videoblogger.

Even worse is that it's caught on as a catch phrase.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Frutile = fruitless + futile

Flustrated = flustered + frustrated

GabeU

Another one...

Using loose instead of lose.  I see this one very often.  

@GabeU wrote:

Using loose instead of lose.  I see this one very often.  

There's a long list of those. Just some of them:
 - they're/there/their
 - too/to