Sayings that irk me

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sayings that irk me

So, there are common sayings that have two ways of wording them that rub me the wrong way when I hear the expression worded a particular way. Two cases:

1. Standing "online" instead of "inline". Most everywhere I've been there is no line painted on the floor to stand "on" and I'm certainly not standing on top of anyone. Instead, I am standing "in" a line of people.

2. A "bald" faced lie instead of "bold" faced. How does someone have a bald face when it comes to their intention, shave it? Instead I was taught bold face, as a person is being pretty bold to lie to your face.

Yea, I'm being a bit grammar eccentric but makes me cringe a bit when I hear them. Anyone have others?

And happy voting day! Sure glad the political ads will be over although they'll probably start up with the 2020 ones before we get a real rest from it.

36 REPLIES 36
Jay

The only thing I can think of that bugs me at all is "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".

This post makes me think of Weird Al's Word Crimes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Jay wrote:

The only thing I can think of that bugs me at all is "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".

This post makes me think of Weird Al's Word Crimes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Lol, unless it is opposite day.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Like Jay, "I could care less" is one that bugs me.  If you could care less that means you care, as you still have room to care less.    

I hate the mispronunciation of commonly used words even more.  

It's height, not heighth.

It's especially, not expecially.

It's escape, not excape

It's asterisk, not asterix.

It's ask, not aks.

It's jewelry, not jewlery.

It's realtor, not realitor.  Actually, it's Realtor, but I can deal with people treating it as a common noun instead of a proper noun.  

And for God's sake, it's nuclear, not nukuler, or however the heck you would spell that word.  I thought pronouncing it as nukuler died out with the Reagan Administration.  😛 

That's just the tip of the iceberg.  

Yeah, I'm kind of picky when it comes to pronunciation.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

"I hate the mispronunciation of commonly used words even more."

Agree, although the Brits and Aussies can be just as bad. 

Hey BirdDog!  How are you doing?  Do you remember me?  Cuddlebug0 is my online now, with Joyce being my actual.  I use to chat back and forth with you on the board before we daughters and I moved.  Yep...back again.  This time, I did not know I had Hughes until I got their first bill...we were under another name at the time.  No cable out in the country in this area either.  I see Hughes has made some changes.  I am checking them out a little at a time.

Glad to see you are still on the boards,

Joyce (Cuddlebug0)

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sure I remember you @cuddlebug0. I'm still here lurking, don't post near as much anymore, only when I have something to add to the conversation that might help besides what has already been gone over a hundred times in other posts. I've gotten tired of posting things that have been discussed so many times before over the years here. Becoming an old curmudgeon I suppose. Smiley Wink

Anyway, glad to see you back and that you still have good old HughesNet to rely on for Internet where nobody else but satellite is willing to go. Wouldn't trade where I live for the highest speed fiber optic.

I'm glad to have a couple of friendly faces to chat with from time to time.  I just posted a billing question.  It's no doubt a silly question, but one I need an answer to.  I have to watch for a reply now.  Chat later.

cuddlebug0

maratsade

I saw your billing question, Cuddlebug, but unfortunately I don't know the answer.  😞

@cuddlebug0 wrote:

I'm glad to have a couple of friendly faces to chat with from time to time.  I just posted a billing question.  It's no doubt a silly question, but one I need an answer to.  I have to watch for a reply now.  Chat later.

cuddlebug0

GabeU

@cuddlebug0 wrote:

cuddlebug0

Nah, not silly at all.  When I first upgraded to Gen4 and paid my first bill (manual payments), my invoice total was still showing.  I called, as I was worried that the payment didn't go through, even though it showed in the account history that it did.  It turned out that it was actually just showing the balance of THAT particular invoice, not the balance currently on my account, which was zero.  The system has been changed a little since then, so it's less confusing (with that issue, anyway), but that one really threw me for a loop. 

I had and issue with billing back in the late 2000s or early 2010s in which a double payment was deducted from my bank account when I paid an invoice, so when I saw what I thought was a still existing balance it made me very nervous.  

And your current issue is a little perplexing, so I hope you get an answer soon.  I'm sure I would ask, too.    

maratsade

---Standing "online" instead of "inline".

Never heard this one!  (And it should be "in line")

Both bald-faced lie and bold-faced lie are correct -- they mean slightly different things.  Bald-faced lie is the same as barefaced lie (which is used in the UK), which means the person is lying openly (and the bare in it refers to being uncovered, not to being hairless).  Bold-faced lie is more of a lie that's more disguised and more impudent. Bold-faced is used in the sense of shamelessness and impudence.

@BirdDog wrote:

So, there are common sayings that have two ways of wording them that rub me the wrong way when I hear the expression worded a particular way. Two cases:

1. Standing "online" instead of "inline". Most everywhere I've been there is no line painted on the floor to stand "on" and I'm certainly not standing on top of anyone. Instead, I am standing "in" a line of people.

2. A "bald" faced lie instead of "bold" faced. How does someone have a bald face when it comes to their intention, shave it? Instead I was taught bold face, as a person is being pretty bold to lie to your face.

Yea, I'm being a bit grammar eccentric but makes me cringe a bit when I hear them. Anyone have others?

And happy voting day! Sure glad the political ads will be over although they'll probably start up with the 2020 ones before we get a real rest from it.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Sometimes words have many meanings or overtime they change thier meaning.

An example of this is the word "Bald". The Bald Eagle is not bald.  Is anyone willing to explain this.

Reggie

GabeU

@Reggie wrote:

Sometimes words have many meanings or overtime they change thier meaning.

An example of this is the word "Bald". The Bald Eagle is not bald.  Is anyone willing to explain this.

Reggie

It's not really that the word bald has an alternate meaning, it's that the word bald, in this context, is from the word piebald, denoting the white head.  

Edited.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Do you mean piebald? If you do that make sense to me. Thank you for the response.

GabeU

@Reggie wrote:

Do you mean piebald? If you do that make sense to me. Thank you for the response. 

Ugh.  Yes, I meant piebald.  LOL.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@Reggie wrote:

Ugh.  Yes, I meant piebald.  LOL.  

Or did you mean in line instead of on line?  Smiley Wink

For anyone that was involved in Government: "Physical Year" instead of "Fiscal Year"... this one drove me absolutely bonkers for decades. I'd face palm every time I heard it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

" "Physical Year" instead of "Fiscal Year"."

ROTFL

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

For anyone that was involved in Government: "Physical Year" instead of "Fiscal Year"... this one drove me absolutely bonkers for decades. I'd face palm every time I heard it.

Oh man I forgot about that one. Even had folks in the military doing it.

@BirdDog wrote:

Oh man I forgot about that one. Even had folks in the military doing it.

Mostly.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Their never going too realize that its not two hard too use proper English.