Testing addicts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Testing addicts

Can't help but notice JFBynon and Kimberly Gardin love doing speed tests over at Testmy.net. Appears the former is running the recommended file sizes while latter is automatic and all over the place.

All the tests stood out is all when looking at member results. Don't know how many here actually look at that stuff. I like taking a peek every so often.

15 REPLIES 15

@BirdDog wrote:

All the tests stood out is all when looking at member results. Don't know how many here actually look at that stuff. I like taking a peek every so often.

I haven't, because I never have trouble with speed ( knock on wood ).  You've got me interested though,  because this seems to be a such a popular complaint here.  Taking a quick look at the messages with the word "slow" in the topic, I noticed most of them are either solved or locked.  Mostly solved. so I guess the tests work.

I can also see that some people here have a canned reply ready to go on this subject.  Not a bad idea given it's popularity.  :>)>

“Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?'

'To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.'

'The dog did nothing in the night-time.'

'That was the curious incident,' remarked Sherlock Holmes.”
 Arthur Conan Doyle

I don't see how Kimberly has any data left with the amount of data she is using just testing. Maybe she is with HughesNet, that would at least make more sense.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog 

And I though I ran a lot of tests!  Wow.  

Over 450 of Kimberly Gardin's 657 tests thus far have been since Feb 3rd.  And, as as you mentioned, they're all using the automatic test, with many of the test sizes being huge.  

I wonder if, perhaps, Kimberly is testing for that SamKnows program.  

With regard to JFBynon, I noticed that not only is he/she using the proper sizes, as you mentioned, but he/she is also testing both download and upload.  Every one of JF's 145 tests thus far have been since Feb 3rd.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU , you're probably right, more than just the average users checking their speed, I thought the same. Noticed Kimberly seems to be running the timed automatic test at 15 minute intervals, was doing them every 30 prior to that. Glad not my data going down the drain! Smiley Surprised

I'll blame those two whenever there is a speed/congestion problem posted here....lol.

I am not sure if the city next to the test server represents where they are at, but Kimberly goes to Macon NC (beam 82) and JFBynon goes to Eutawville, SC (beam 98), if I understand this right.

Squawk -- I'm on beam 82, so I hope they are not beating up my beam too badly 😞

I prefer using ping tests -- it may not be as accurate, but I can still get an idea when things are slowing down or busy  without chewing through the GB, and can create a track around the clock that does not bug others I share the beam and gateway with.

Edit: I left out a part -- the server for the test was Dallas.

GabeU

@MrBuster 

The test servers used are often the ones that are closest to the tester's gateway, which would actually be nowhere near the tester's own location.  You can manually set the test server, as well, and sometimes people set it to either the one that gives the fastest response time or the one that is closest to their gateway.  I do the latter.  

I normally say to choose a server that's close to the gateway location because it's a good approximation for the shortest link.

In reality, the one with the fewest amount of hops from the gateway is probably best, which can be tested with a simple traceroute.

Edit: They used to have the addresses of the servers... little difficult without that. #nevermind.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

I normally say to choose a server that's close to the gateway location because it's a good approximation for the shortest link.

In reality, the one with the fewest amount of hops from the gateway is probably best, which can be tested with a simple traceroute.

How do you perform a traceroute on the TMN servers?  I can't find the address of any of them.  

Edit:  

@MarkJFine wrote:

Edit: They used to have the addresses of the servers... little difficult without that. #nevermind.

I though that maybe there was some way to be able to catch the IP address of the testing server while the test was being performed.  Then again, with the way the tests are run and the way HughesNet works, I don't know if anything like that is even possible.   

maratsade

"I am not sure if the city next to the test server represents where they are at"

Likely the city closest to where the gateway is at. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"I am not sure if the city next to the test server represents where they are at"

Likely the city closest to where the gateway is at. 

Are you sure?  😛 😛 😛  

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  

maratsade

Where do you see other people's tests?

@BirdDog wrote:

Can't help but notice JFBynon and Kimberly Gardin love doing speed tests over at Testmy.net. Appears the former is running the recommended file sizes while latter is automatic and all over the place.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Just had a thought... wonder if any of these two people are any of those that don't know where their data is going and don't realize this is running behind the scenes.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

Just had a thought... wonder if any of these two people are any of those that don't know where their data is going and don't realize this is running behind the scenes.

Now that would be ironic! "I'm using a lot of data, my speed is slow and I'm constantly being throttled.....help!".

nothing shocks me any anymore.