Hughesnet Community

poor lamb

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor lamb

I ran into a acquaintance of mine at a local tavern the other day.  He was very excited to tell me that he just had satellite internet installed, and was going to get Netflix, and would also be able to do away with his satellite TV bill, all for only fifty bucks a month.

I asked him what tech company he used and he said: "I don't remember the name.  They're across from the BBQ place." ( 20 miles away )  They're not the company I use.  Mine is reliable and honest.  His told him that all of this stuff was going to be easy.

I asked him what satellite company he was with, and he replied: "I don't know.  I think it's written on the dish somewhere."   When I asked him how many gigs of data was in his plan, he didn't know the answer to that either   I said to him, before you do anything like this again, please come and talk to me first.

Like a lamb to the slaughter.

I smell a soon to be broken contract. :>)>  If so, it will be second that I know of in my tiny little community, in just the last few months.

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot."
ROBERT HEINLEIN

32 REPLIES 32
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I see four possible outcomes, with the second and fourth being the most likely...

1.  Allowed to cancel with no ETF. 

2.  Has to pay ETF in order to be free of it. 

3.  Refuses to pay and has credit screwed up as a result. 

4.  Keeps the service and learns a lesson about knowing what you're buying.   

Ignorance is no excuse, and all that matters is what's provable, like a recorded sales call. 

Unfortunately, too few people adequately research what they're buying, which they should make sure to do, especially when whatever it is comes with a contract.  It's a pain to learn that lesson.  😞    

maratsade

No Get Out of Jail Free card for naivete.

GabeU wrote:

Ignorance is no excuse, and all that matters is what's provable, like a recorded sales call. 

@maratsade wrote:

No Get Out of Jail Free card for naivete.

Darn it,  where is that quote!  Something like "There is only one penalty for ignorance:  death.  And it's alway applied by nature without pity."

@GabeU wrote:

I see four possible outcomes, with the second and fourth being the most likely...

1.  Allowed to cancel with no ETF. 

2.  Has to pay ETF in order to be free of it. 

3.  Refuses to pay and has credit screwed up as a result. 

4.  Keeps the service and learns a lesson about knowing what you're buying.   

I do know one person that canceled with no ETF.  He more or less told them that he would return their equipment, but he was not going to pay them another cent.

BTW these two people know each other.  Obviously they didn't talk before he did all of this.  So the guy in question will probably try for number one.

He also operates strictly under the table, and certainly doesn't give a darn about his credit, so number three is also a possibility.  He's a good painter and pressure washer though.  I hire him once a year to pressure wash my house and gutters.

I get the feeling that the landscape is littered with broken satellite internet contracts, especially with the misleading marketing that's going on.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

"............would also be able to do away with his satellite TV bill, all for only fifty bucks a month."

Especially dumb, ignorant, naive, clueless.....whatever you want to call it. I'm still waiting for the check from my man in Nigeria.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

I'm still waiting for the check from my man in Nigeria.

Not before I get mine!  The Prince's guy assured me it was exclusive.  I'm gonna have to email him right now, darnit!!!  😛 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I don't see a problem here. The more educated will soon teach the new customer how stupid he was. Why does everyone on this community fell it is ok to kick those that are down.  Maybe it's time you give them a hand up not a kick in the teeth.

SMH

GabeU

@Reggie 

It's simply a reaction.  How many times have we seen on here and other places where people have gone off, blaming everything but themselves for buying something they didn't understand?  True, there are people that simply say, "I made a mistake", and I do feel somewhat bad for those people, but when the majority of what you see ranges from simple ranting to absolutely going off the deep end it tends to change your sense of sympathy, as well as empathy.  

As well, how often does the song change, or is there even a thanks, when you try to help one of the aforementioned people get the most out of HughesNet that they can because they are stuck with it?  Not often.  

Is it wrong to group all into those that rant and rave?  Sure, but we're only human.  

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

This customer has not even posted yet. But people are already calling him stupid.

All I see is a person who trusted someone. The person he trusted Lied to him to make a sale. That is the person I'm pissed at.

I was taught to help, not tell others they were stupid.

My rant is over. 

GabeU

@Reggie wrote:

This customer has not even posted yet. But people are already calling him stupid.

All I see is a person who trusted someone. The person he trusted Lied to him to make a sale. That is the person I'm pissed at.

I was taught to help, not tell others they were stupid.

My rant is over. 

Well, I personaly just referenced ignorance, which is a factual statement, but I get what you're saying.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'll just say it is sad, if that is less offensive, when someone purchases something based on phone sales without doing any real research first.

@Reggie wrote:

............ Why does everyone on this community fell it is ok to kick those that are down.  Maybe it's time you give them a hand up not a kick in the teeth.

Ah, a starry eyed idealist.  :>)

I think it's caused by  "The weak chicken syndrome".  I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that if one of their number gets weak, the rest of a chicken flock will peck it to death.

I don't think it's reached that point here though.

Are you willing to take a trip?

@BirdDog wrote:

................. I'm still waiting for the check from my man in Nigeria.

I already got mine.  It bounced though.  :>)>

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

I'm still waiting for the check from my man in Nigeria.

It looks like my funds are being held up in customs, and it appears to be cash!  

I found this in my junk mail this morning.  Talk about coincidence!!!  😛  

Capture.JPG

lol... I also like the fake purchase orders with virus attachments. Got one today from someone supposedly in the UAE via a hacked server in Japan!

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

lol... I also like the fake purchase orders with virus attachments. Got one today from someone supposedly in the UAE via a hacked server in Japan!

I get a ton of those regarding supposed Amazon orders.  It becomes a game of "wack a scam".  😛

I talked to the poor lamb yesterday.  He cancelled his debit card, and then called Viasat and told them to come and get their equipment.

GabeU

@gaines_wright wrote:

I talked to the poor lamb yesterday.  He cancelled his debit card, and then called Viasat and told them to come and get their equipment.

Though your friend may ultimately get away with the credit card thing and cancellation, you may want to advise him to send back the required equipment when he gets the return kit, as one thing they aren't going to do is "come and get their equipment", and he'll be in collections for it before he knows it.  

People need to pick their battles, and the equipment one he'll lose.  Though they may back down on the contract, they won't on the cost of the equipment.  Doing things under the table won't save him from that.

Cancellng cards or any refusal to pay will also put them into 'collections' and usually results in a bad mark in one's credit rating.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.