Hughesnet Community

salesmen

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

salesmen

It seems to me that there has been an increase in posters in Tech Support complaining of speed and/or data usage problems. It also looks to me like some of these people have been given unrealistic expectations by the Hughes sales people, since so many of them are trying to stream movies.

Is there anybody out there who sucessfully streams movies every day, and if so, how much money do you spend on tokens every month?

SALESMAN n. A certain kind of liar, whose lies are often by exaggeration or omission.

The New Devils Dictionary ( With apologies to Ambrose Bierce )

8 REPLIES 8
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wife and I stream, not movies everyday but often short clips. She does YouTube movies/documentaries maybe 5-6 times a week and I do Netflix maybe average 2-3 times a week. All lower definition though usually 360p and lower and helps to eliminate buffering. On a 50/50 old Gen4 plan and don't go over allowance.

Granted, no kids to really jack things up.

@BirdDog wrote:

............................................................... On a 50/50 old Gen4 plan and don't go over allowance.

50/50?  Does that mean 50gig of anytime data?  Been a while since I had gen4, wish I'd not "upgraded" to gen5.

I only stream or download during the bonus period.  I prefer to download because I sometimes run into buffering problems streaming.  Plus, if I'm going to give up all that data, I'd rather have something to show for it when I'm done.

As for movies, I'd rather order the blu-ray from Amazon.   That  way I can watch it more than one time, without using more data.

Granted, no kids to really jack things up.

Ah kids!  Wish I'd had more of them!  My two are both close to 40, with kids of their own.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I stream episodes from series almost every day.  I do not go over my data limit, so no tokens bought. Streaming works very well. 

It is unwise to generalise from a small sample. The people who come on this site come to state issues, but this doesn't mean all subscribers (over 1.2 million now, I think),have issues.  The ones who don't are not seen. 

@maratsade wrote:

I stream episodes from series almost every day.  I do not go over my data limit, so no tokens bought. Streaming works very well. 

But when you're done, you've got nothing to show for it,  after using all of that data.   Or, are you capturing it to a file?

It is unwise to generalise from a small sample. The people who come on this site come to state issues, but this doesn't mean all subscribers (over 1.2 million now, I think),have issues.  The ones who don't are not seen. 

Well, I'm often unwise.  I actually enjoy it!  Don't think that's the case here though.

How many of those 1.2 million would jump at the chance to switch to a cable ISP?  I know I would!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"But when you're done, you've got nothing to show for it,  after using all of that data.   Or, are you capturing it to a file?"

I was replying to "Is there anybody out there who sucessfully streams movies every day, and if so, how much money do you spend on tokens every month?"  I successfully stream almost every day, and I spend $0 in tokens. 

I don't know what you mean about having something to show for it. If a person (possibly not you) goes to the cinema to watch a movie, they have something to show for it.  This is rather the same, though possibly not to you. 

"How many of those 1.2 million would jump at the chance to switch to a cable ISP?  I know I would!"

Without a survey,  there is no way to know.  I know (for reasons of my own) that given the choice, I would not switch to a cable ISP.  

@@maratsade wrote:

I don't know what you mean about having something to show for it. If a person (possibly not you) goes to the cinema to watch a movie, they have something to show for it.  This is rather the same, though possibly not to you.
  I appreciate your malice!
  I haven't been to a cinema since movies became available on VCR tape.  But that's just me!
"CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are,
not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of
plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision."
The Devils Dictionary

I'm a one and done kind of watcher. Very, very seldom watch something more than once.

And yes @gaines_wright, I have the Gen4 50/50 Anytime/Bonus Ultra plan which very few were able to get back when offered. Then I stuck with it even after the conversion to all Gen5 plans. I'm "grandfathered" in so to speak, would take something drastic for me to switch plans now.

Oh, and I'm on one of the better Echostar 17  beam and gateway's, get pretty close to Gen5 speeds most of the time.

@BirdDog wrote:

I'm a one and done kind of watcher. Very, very seldom watch something more than once.

I know a lot of people that feel the same way.  I'm just the opposite,  I find sometimes on that third viewing

I'll notice something I missed on the first two.  I do the same thing with books.

And yes @gaines_wright, I have the Gen4 50/50 Anytime/Bonus Ultra plan which very few were able to get back when offered.

Wow fifty gig!   That would solve my data usage problems.    I'm too cheap to pay for it though.   "By golly, ten gig was good enough for my great grandfather, it ought to be good enough for me!" :>)>

"WINDOWS n. The world largest and most malicious computer virus."

The New Devils Dictionary ( With apologies to Ambrose Bierce )