Is unlimited data in Hughesnet future?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TG2
Sophomore

Just curious if Hughesnet will ever get unlimited data. Excede has come into my area an offers it. Speeds up to 25mbps, unlimited data for $150 per month. $100 for the first 3 months. It's expensive, but when you consider unlimited data, it's worth it when you can get no other services. I've had average service with Hughesnet, it's just to expensive for the small amount of data you get. Even the 50GB plan for around $129 is laughable to be honest. For $20  more bucks I can get unlimited. Anyways, hoping you all change your minds and jump up to the future. Thanks!

58 REPLIES 58

Here you go.

http://www.satellitetoday.com/telecom/2016/02/10/dankberg-viasat-3-satellites-will-have-more-capacit...

Look what should worry us is while HughesNet is maintaining what they have I can’t find plans to expand their service. I think Gen5 will be here for 5 years until Gen6 comes. So while that happens Viasat will be launched in 2019 and Gen6 will launch in 2022. Is that not worrying you guys?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Nope, because Hughesnet is a MAJOR sponsor and player with OneWeb which is one of the companies that could put Viasat and Hughes under as consumer grade companies.

I am willing to wager that Hughesnet could end up as a VAR for OneWeb offering low latency connectivity.

Also, Hughesnet doesn't provide just internet connectivity, they develop technologies for other agencies, and for the government.  So, I am not worried about them really going under.

Also, here's some data on Jupiter-3, http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/jupiter-3.htm

O
ne last thing to note, Hughesnet was playing it safe... Viasat was already working on VSAT-3, where as Hughesnet litterally just created the order for J-3.  There was most likely concern that the market may have been at maximum profit potential, which J2 proved otherwise, hence the reason they ordered J3.

Viasat is taking a huge gamble on ordering so many satellites at one time, especially with OneWeb coming online in 2019.

To be fairly honest... If OneWeb offers ~50GB/m at $75 or less, I would go to them, just for the lower latency, and keep Hughesnet for my large heavy downloads.

Just FYI Viasat is doing a lot with the military as well. You can look on the market news for VSAT. Like i said the market thinks they are the one to go with for the long haul but hey I’m sure I’m wrong.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

/shrugs/

Back to the topic, wont happen, not for some time.  It would be stupid to increase data allowances when the satellite can't keep up with demand as is.

I don’t understand so you’re saying Viasat won’t be able to get the first satellite with their new speeds and allow them to offer 35mbps. Viasat 2 already allows for 30Mbps. That’s the new gold plans that will go wide once the test markets are done. They are already working on getting Viasat 2 implemented. Viasat 3 is being completed and they would get in serious problems if they miss their launch window. Their stock would crash. So I wouldn’t discount it. I think that’s silly to act like they won’t be able to get their stuff off. The gold plan seems really cool but I need a plan that streams 4K so it will be with the new satellite that’s going up. And as you know Gen6 won’t happen till 2022 and I’m assuming Gen6 will have the capabilities or more of what Viasat 3 can do.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Looks like this company offers what you need, so you'll be jumping ship to join them soon, I expect.  Are you not with them because they don't offer service in your area?  (Forgive me if you've already mentioned why you're with HN and not another company).

@Saxgod wrote:
I don’t understand so you’re saying Viasat won’t be able to get the first satellite with their new speeds and allow them to offer 35mbps. Viasat 2 already allows for 30Mbps. That’s the new gold plans that will go wide once the test markets are done. They are already working on getting Viasat 2 implemented. Viasat 3 is being completed and they would get in serious problems if they miss their launch window. Their stock would crash. So I wouldn’t discount it. I think that’s silly to act like they won’t be able to get their stuff off. The gold plan seems really cool but I need a plan that streams 4K so it will be with the new satellite that’s going up. And as you know Gen6 won’t happen till 2022 and I’m assuming Gen6 will have the capabilities or more of what Viasat 3 can do.

maratsade

It does not worry me at all.

@Saxgod wrote:
Here you go.

http://www.satellitetoday.com/telecom/2016/02/10/dankberg-viasat-3-satellites-will-have-more-capacit...

Look what should worry us is while HughesNet is maintaining what they have I can’t find plans to expand their service. I think Gen5 will be here for 5 years until Gen6 comes. So while that happens Viasat will be launched in 2019 and Gen6 will launch in 2022. Is that not worrying you guys?

And yes you keep defending something they offer to businesses and act like it’s not possible for homes. Like I said I guess I should call my home a home business so I have the same speeds available. And if you want to know speeds and other specs do what I do. Call exede, call HughesNet, and call Directv. Directv keeps expanding their satellites as is exede. Hughes seems to be doing just enough and that sucks in my book.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Viasat has the following...

Wildblue-1
Viasat-1
Viasat-2 (soon)
Viasat-3 (2019 if they are **bleep** lucky and it doesn't sit delayed for over a year)

Hughesnet has the following...
A few leases on random satellites for HN7000, they used AMC-9, Satmex5, Horizons1, not sure if those are all still in use. (yes, those still exist)
Spaceway3
Jupiter-1 (Echostar-17)
Jupiter-2 (Echostar-19)
Jupiter-3 (Echostar-24/21?, 2021 if they are lucky and it doesn't get delayed)

Also, Viasat-2 is NOT in use yet, it's still in testing, that's not why they can offer higher speeds currently, what they have done is hard-throttled video to a certain speed/resolution depending on your service plan, thus freeing up much needed bandwidth to allow for potentially higher caps.

Also, no one is stopping you from canceling your consumer account and signing up for the $500, 250GB Business package, it's rather nice aside from the cost.  Don't recomend customers doing that though, as the business plans are much more costly per GB, plus the moment you are an SME customer, you lose the ability to get support via the Community.  I would say that less than 1/10th of the SME customers are sitting on the top tier plan, as most use the satellite link as a pure backup link in the event someone cuts the fiber at a place.  I would wager most SME customers are sitting on the Business 75, or Business 150 plan.

Business 250.png

Sorry viasat has 4 satellites and Viasat 3 is moving along fast and ready to launch in 2019. Not a lie. They had to delay launch of Viasat 2 cause SpaceX wasn’t able to put the satellite up in their position. So they contracted with another company. As for Viasat 3 they plan on having it up in 2019 for the US side and later times for the they two areas of the glove.

Curious how much is the business 150gb plan? Do you know?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Anik-F2 (that "fourth" satellite) only provides 1.5Mbps, it's not used by Viasat anymore for anything unless you happen to be in remote parts of Canada, much like how Hughesnet isn't signing customers up for the three satellites that I listed as "one".  If we want to go with your method, then Hughesnet has 6+.

Business 150 is $270/m with out promos.

maratsade

Redacted by maratsade, as the info had already been posted by another user.

maratsade

@GabeU,

"the complaint then shifts to wanting them to offer 150GB at "10Mbps". "

I want 1000GB at 600Mbps.  And all for 29.99 a month.  If I don't get this, I'm going to huff and puff and rant a lot.  Rawr!

The answer to your very first question WHY do I assume Hughes can offer this is because they have been in the sat business for over 20 years and in the internet sat business for just as long. That’s why I know they can offer it. Thinking they can’t is silly. Directv and Hughes have the assets to push out 4K tv. They have the pipe to do it.
Village40

I called HughesNet, and was told that the 25Gb plan would be plenty for my home.  For the record, I am a heavy streamer through Apple TVs and have a smart home with multiple connected devices.  I did disclose all of this information to sales.  Imagine my surprise when I blew through my allotted data in 3 days!  I would have happily paid more for more data, but the truth is Hughes does not have any data plan that is big enough for me.  I've jettisoned the streaming and have satellite TV.  Perhaps it will last a week or two now. 😕 

Customer support, though nice, didn't have any tips past what I knew (to stop idle data use).  Please educate the sales team on data usages for folks like me.  You will save yourselves some unhappy customers. 

I see this complaint come up a lot, and you'll have to pardon me if it strikes me a problem that could easily be avoided.

Just curious as to how "heavy streamer", a subjective amount, can possibly be interpreted by someone you don't know into a GB amount for a non-technical person to make such an assessment?

Given that, why would a customer even believe the answer? There are so many variables that's it's the salesperson's fault if they answer it at all or if they can't (and they really can't). So, if you'd have asked me the same question (and I'm not a salesperson) I'd have given you the same response, "yeah, sure, why not?"

Pardon me for saying, but I just find this such a ridiculous argument. If you had a previous service with another company (since you already know you're a 'heavy stremer'), you should already know what kind of usage you generate.

Don't ask a non-technical person who is there to sell something he can't possibly answer, and expect a valid answer.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
bare65
Advanced Tutor

HughesNet is 'unlimited' in the sense that if you should exceed your monthly anytime/bonus zone data that you have purchased, your internet speeds are simply reduced (aka throttled).

HughesNet customers can still access the internet without worrying about any additional 'overage' fees being added to their bill......they will simply experience a much slower 'loading' of webpages and other content.

OR they can, if they so choose to do so, buy tokens so that their internet speeds are not throttled after they have exceeded their monthly allowance.

I think the word, 'unlimited', in itself is what people/customers tend to get confused about.

For example, Verizon Wireless offer 'Unlimited' Plans.... however, the word unlimited simply means that, as a customer, instead of paying for a set amount of data each month, with excessive overage fees being charged if you exceed your allowance, you now have plans in place that offer 'unlimted' access to the internet and your billed a fixed amount each month for that usage. BUT....similar to HughesNet and other companies,  after a Verizon Wireless customer has used 22GB of data, their LTE speeds are throttled and usage is prioritized during times of network congestion.

_ _ _ _ _

As far as Excede's new 'unlimited plans'

Here are some questions and answers from Excedes own website to explain how unlimited works..

How much data usage is included in my unlimited data plan?

On an unlimited data plan, there are no limits to how much data you can use during your monthly billing cycle. However, if you use more than 150 GB of data and the network is congested, ViaSat may prioritize your data behind other customers.

Will my internet service be slower after I’ve used 150 GB of data?

When the network is not busy, nothing will happen to your service speeds. When the network is busy, ViaSat may prioritize your data behind other customers, which will result in slower speeds. Web pages and videos may respond and load more slowly than during periods of non-congestion.

_ _ _ _ _

It would seem to me that based on Excede's own explaination of the term 'unlimited' after you hit that 150GB mark there is a good chance your speeds will be throttled. This is no different than what HughesNet does with their 10GB, 20GB or 50GB plans.

Once you have reached your plans monthly allowance..your speeds are reduced.

Here's the thing,

Before the whole 'unlimited' craze, if you exceeded your data you were either SOL and your internet was shut off

or

you ended up paying an additional fee for every GB you used, up and over your plans allowance, which was quite costly in itself.

These days, regardless of what ISP you use, the majority of customers have, or can choose to have, unlimited access to the internet..the only thing impacted is the speed in which that internet content can be downloaded/uploaded and this only happens after you have exceeded your 'paid' monthly allowance.