cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why in rual areas it cost more for less?

Why in rual areas it cost more for less?

My service is up on Gen4 next month and I live in a rual area why is it that I can get 20gb for $100 plus but go 50 miles down the road and the plans change to 50gb monthly for $90 and when I talked with excede they can set me up with 150gb for $69.99 a month.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES
Teaching Assistant

Re: Why in rual areas it cost more for less?

Hi jimbos23, there are many factors that set the two residential satellite Internet pricing plans. Things like population density, number of people already subscribed in the area, capability of the available beam and gateway, plus many other factors.

To be honest, if the competition has a better deal I would switch, but I would also research heavily on their community site to be sure you aren't being led into the "grass is always greener" place.

If you can truly get full speed 150 GB for $70 versus $100 for 20 GB then a no brainer IMO. Better research carefully though.

Highlighted
Senior Instructor

I would be cautious... Exede has been bleeding customers since Hughesnet launched Gen5 and hasn't been able to get their satellite online fast enough for some.  They are heavily advertising that service plan to most all of their potential customer base to keep customers.

That aside, Hughesnet offers a 50GB service plan to everyone now from my understanding.

Senior Instructor

Jimbos23 wrote:

My service is up on Gen4 next month and I live in a rual area why is it that I can get 20gb for $100 plus but go 50 miles down the road and the plans change to 50gb monthly for $90 and when I talked with excede they can set me up with 150gb for $69.99 a month.

Is this when upgrading to Gen5?  Have you checked the prices for doing so?  

As others have suggested, you shoud browse the Exede support community prior to switching, if that's what you decide to do.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit