Apple app to monitor usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gertieg
Sophomore

Apple app to monitor usage

Hi.  Is there an app similar to glasswire for apple products? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

True. But, Apples have traditionally been used by more in the line of artistic and linguistic development (think, 'hippies'), not as much business-related nor technological development. This, despite being well-designed and extremely user-focused for what was available. It had it's niche.

I tried doing development on a Mac II in the late 80's/early 90's. Any bad code immediately crashed the entire system, requiring a specially affixed reboot button. It wasn't my idea of fun, but it would give you an idea of why the software had to be critically well-designed.

They also used to be very 'closed' in as far as what applications they would allow to be run on them with very few 3rd party vendors. This only changed (slightly) when they became FreeBSD-based with a Cocoa interface and a Darwin kernel on Intel processors (vice in-house on Motorola) and there became more of a variety of vendors able to develop on them.

Today you're able to cross-pollenate most command-line Linux-based apps (in fact I go back and forth in the user terminal sometimes, just like it's Fedora), as well as some with an X or early Gnome Toolkit interface.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MarkJFine
Professor

Not sure there's anything reliable, though I've not tried to test anything Linux-based, which might work (might need X-Quartz and some external gtk libraries for any gui).

Other than that, I've really considered writing one. Maybe when the weather gets colder... don't want to get stuck inside debugging things. 🙂

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

thanks for the quick reply. It is so strange...it's not like apple is new to the computing world......

True. But, Apples have traditionally been used by more in the line of artistic and linguistic development (think, 'hippies'), not as much business-related nor technological development. This, despite being well-designed and extremely user-focused for what was available. It had it's niche.

I tried doing development on a Mac II in the late 80's/early 90's. Any bad code immediately crashed the entire system, requiring a specially affixed reboot button. It wasn't my idea of fun, but it would give you an idea of why the software had to be critically well-designed.

They also used to be very 'closed' in as far as what applications they would allow to be run on them with very few 3rd party vendors. This only changed (slightly) when they became FreeBSD-based with a Cocoa interface and a Darwin kernel on Intel processors (vice in-house on Motorola) and there became more of a variety of vendors able to develop on them.

Today you're able to cross-pollenate most command-line Linux-based apps (in fact I go back and forth in the user terminal sometimes, just like it's Fedora), as well as some with an X or early Gnome Toolkit interface.

you're way over my pay grade but I do understand...but someone needs to realize that not of all of us have access to other internet options.....let me know when you have it all worked out..and the rest of the world's provlems 🙂

MdM