Hughesnet Community

Community notification emails have stopped.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Community notification emails have stopped.

The last Community notification email I received was at 5:40PM EST yesterday.  Since then, there have been many replies and such that have prompted notifications within the Community itself, but no email notifications to accompany them.  

I've reset the Community email notification settings, but that didn't make any difference.  

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning folks,

Thank you for your patience while we continue to investigate. While we currently can resolve this issue as it pops up on a user by user basis, we're still working on pinpointing the root cause of this forum notification issue to apply a permanent and universal solution. I'll keep this thread updated on news as we get it.

If you notice your e-mail notifications not arriving when you should be receiving them, please let me know ASAP; posting in here is fine. Include the approximate date and time of the notification received in the community that didn't arrive as an e-mail notification.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

99 REPLIES 99
maratsade

Just in time for the weekend, too. 😁

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Just in time for the weekend, too. 😁

Oh boy!  I hadn't even thought of that.  😂

That's great news Gabe! I'll let both parties know. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

Well, the forwarding lasted all of about two hours.  🙁

I'm still getting the reply notifications to my hughes.net email, but MSN has again blocked emails from hughes.net due to spam.  So now it's the roundabout way of forwarding from my hughes.net email to my Gmail, then from my Gmail to my MSN address.

maratsade

And just in time for the weekend. 😒

@GabeU wrote:

Well, the forwarding lasted all of about two hours.  🙁

I checked my account after reading this and I started receiving bounces again.

While logged in to the account I say my twitter feed folder stopped getting notifications since June 18.

My twitter mails are blocked too.  Smiley Sad

Well clearly you people have faulty computers and software, it ain't they're fault.

Good morning Gabe,

Thanks for confirming that the email notifications are getting to your HughesNet e-mail. Regarding the MSN forwarding, please PM me the sender and recipient e-mails as well as the timestamp of the bounceback email (the more recent the better, must be within last 72 hrs). The error message within that bounceback email would be helpful as well so I can send this up to our e-mail admins.

Thank you!

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz 

Message sent.

------------------------------------------------------------------- 

@kitnbob 

At least for now, and at least for me, the MSN block has again disappeared.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  

@GabeU wrote

@kitnbob 

At least for now, and at least for me, the MSN block has again disappeared.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  

@GabeU 

for me get NO bounce message from any server also I DON'T see my test message in the MSN inbox

GabeU

@kitnbob wrote:

for me get NO bounce message from any server also I DON'T see my test message in the MSN inbox

So you're not getting a bounce message, but the test mail is still not being received by your MSN email?  

Weird.  Well, this whole thing is weird, but that's weird in and of itself.  Maybe rather than a direct bounce this time it's being delayed.  That's just a guess.  I have no clue.  🙁

I'm keeping my hughes.net >> Gmail >> MSN forwarding scheme in place for the time being, as I don't trust that MSN won't start bouncing the direct hughes.net forwards again soon, like they did on Friday.

@GabeU wrote:

@kitnbob wrote:

So you're not getting a bounce message, but the test mail is still not being received by your MSN email?  

I'm keeping my hughes.net >> Gmail >> MSN forwarding scheme in place for the time being,

NoBounce message  nothing in my MSN inbox except a test message from Gmail and EVEN RocketMail Smiley Wink

(heh heh) not blocking them     Nothing from hughes.   Wierd

BTW I forgot to mention,

MSN allowed my twitter anouncements today.

Got 2 new posts,

1 - Steve Martin

2 - Melania Trump

Unlikely combination

NOT blocking twitter

@GabeU wrote:

I'm keeping my hughes.net >> Gmail >> MSN forwarding scheme in place for the time being, as I don't trust that MSN won't start bouncing the direct hughes.net forwards again soon, like they did on Friday.

Oh! Great! pretty soon Gmail will be blocking the rest of us sending from hughes also.

Good morning Gabe,

Thank you for your PM. It's promising that direct e-mails from HN to MSN works. Do you think while troubleshooting the other e-mail stuff and deleting/moving batches of mail, bounceback emails from failed forwards were deleted in that process too?

Sidenote: after a meeting with our e-mail admins yesterday, they said they'd clear up that issue with the inbox notifications. That's no longer happening now, is it?

If so, whenever you want to test forwarding again from HN to MSN. I'd turn that back on and let me know so I can PM you a few times to ensure you get notifications; this way I have timestamps for the PMs in case there are no e-mailed error messages. I'd have our e-mail folks check on their end to see if they notice something wonky happening around those timestamps.

-Liz

@Liz wrote:

Good morning Gabe,

Thank you for your PM. It's promising that direct e-mails from HN to MSN works. Do you think while troubleshooting the other e-mail stuff and deleting/moving batches of mail, bounceback emails from failed forwards were deleted in that process too?

Sidenote: after a meeting with our e-mail admins yesterday, they said they'd clear up that issue with the inbox notifications. That's no longer happening now, is it?

If so, whenever you want to test forwarding again from HN to MSN. I'd turn that back on and let me know so I can PM you a few times to ensure you get notifications; this way I have timestamps for the PMs in case there are no e-mailed error messages. I'd have our e-mail folks check on their end to see if they notice something wonky happening around those timestamps.

-Liz

@Liz wrote:

Good morning

It's promising that direct e-mails from HN to MSN works.........

Direct emails are Not working

its like MSN is just discarding the emails after receiving them and not notifying.

We are Not receiving inbox notifications and server errors

the emails just vanish

oops I must have the quote button twice.

Sorry.

GabeU

@Liz 

Though the direct emails from my hughes.net email to my MSN email were working last evening, they're again not working today.  🙁  However, it's not giving me a failure notice, so it's possible that there is a delay and that they will, in fact, be delivered at some point.  I'll keep checking to see if either the failure notices show up (I tried two emails) or the emails finally show up at my MSN address.  If the latter happens. I'll change the forwarding to sending them directly to my MSN address to see if that is now working.  

Regarding the forwarding bounces, I don't get any.  The forwarded Community notifications just never make it to my MSN address.  I only come to the conclusion that they are being denied or bounced when I test it by trying to send a direct email.

Basically, if I come online in the afternoon or evening and see no Community notifications in my MSN email, I go to check my hughes.net email.  If I see the notifications there, I then know something happened with the forwarding.  I then try a direct email to my MSN address, and if that fails I then know why the forwards never made it.  This is, of course, when I have it set to forward directly to my MSN address.  I only ever use the hughes > GMail > MSN forwarding as a backup when there are problems with the hughes > MSN forwarding.

To close, it's now been twenty minutes since I first tried the direct emails.  I've still not received them at my MSN address and there are still no failure notifications at my hughes.net address.  I'll edit this reply if that changes, or when I go to sign off for the night if nothing has changed.  I sent an email directly to my Gmail address, and it immediately sent and was then forwarded by Gmail to my MSN, which I received nearly instantaneously.  I did that just to make sure that there wasn't an issue with ALL outgoing messages from my hughes.net address.

Edit:  I ended up sending a third direct email from my hughes.net address to my MSN address.  The three were sent at 6:10PM, 6:12PM and 6:33PM.  At 8:58PM the second of the three (6:12PM) was received.  Nothing yet on the first and third.  In the off chance that something changed, I sent a fourth at 9:11PM (a few minutes ago).  Like the others, it didn't didn't come through.  If it does, or the other two do, or I see failure notices from any of the three that haven't yet made it, I'll again update this reply.

Edit 2:  Just as I was getting ready to sign off for the night the 1st and 4th tests came through, both at 2:13AM.  They were originally sent at 6:10PM and 8:58PM respectively.  I then decided to send two more.  One at 2:20AM and one at 2:23AM (test #5 and #6).  Both came through immediately.  The 2nd test, which was sent at 6:12PM, still has not been received at MSN.  I'll go ahead and change the forwarding back to MSN to see what happens.  I'll know if it's working when I sign back on tomorrow (technically later today).

To add to Edit 2, I just sent an email from MSN to hughes, and it forwarded back to MSN almost immediately.  So, as of right now (2:33AM), it's working.  I'm keeing my fingers crossed.  Ta ta.

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

If you're referring my reply in the "Spam emails" topic about the number perpetually on my Inbox indicator, it's still there.  When I deleted the notification emails up until the point of my last reply it was there.  However, I then got another notification.  When I deleted that, the number (32) disappeared.  So, I thought it was fixed.  I then closed the page, opened a new one and checked again, and it was back.  I cleared out my cache and tried again, just in case that might help, but it didn't. It's still there.  🙁

I also tried with my seldom used Firefox browser.  It's there with that too.  

Capture.PNG

Good morning Gabe,

Thanks so much for all this feedback. I'll let them know about the inbox indicators. Curious to see how your e-mail tests with MSN work out.

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz 

The 3rd direct email test, sent at 6:33PM yesterday, came through at 9:08AM this morning.  So, all test emails from hughes.net directly to MSN thus far have now come through.

There have been seven Community notifications thus far today, starting at 5:59AM.  Only the last three have been received at my MSN.  The first of the three received at MSN was fifteen minutes after it was received at hughes.net, and the last two were received at MSN immediately.  

I just tried direct email test #7 and #8, and those two were received at my MSN address immediately.

Edit:  At least for the time being I'm going to change back to the hughes >> Gmail >> MSN forwarding scheme.  Since originally writing this reply there were three notifications, but only one was forwarded to MSN.  I'll change it back later tonight to see if it works again in between the time I sign off tonight and sign back on tomorrow, as I normally get a decent number of Community notifications during that time.