Data is being subtracted from my Service Plan Data instead of the Bonus Zone

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laurie26
Freshman

Data is being subtracted from my Service Plan Data instead of the Bonus Zone

I've had this service for about a month, and have been downloading a couple hour long videos from utube everyday between 2 am and 8 am.  I started the first one this morning at 3:30 am, and went back to bed.  Got up at 6 am to start the next one and noticed the data has decreased in my Service Plan, but my Bonus Zone data hasn't changed. 

Last night at 11:11 pm there was 8.7 GB in the Service Plan, and 40.4 GB in the Bonus Zone.  At 3:30 am this morning when I started the first download, it still showed 8.7 GB in the Service Plan, and 40.4 GB in the Bonus Zone, which I expected.  But when I checked it a little after 6 am, it now has 7.9 in the Service Plan and still the 40.4 GB in the Bonus Zone. It's now 7:20 am, and Bonus Zone is still 40.4 GB, but Service Plan is now at 7.6 GB.

I've been tracking my data usage and this is the first time this has happened.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Liz.  The last time this happened (about a week ago?) I called about it and the phone rep suggested I unplug the modem for 10 seconds, which I did.  That did fix the problem.

Then it happened again during the bonus period yesterday morning.  I had data left in the bonus zone and had already run out of my service data.  I had purchased the 5 gb tokens, and early yesterday morning (during the bonus period before 8 am) all my activity used up the data that was remaining from the 5 gb tokens I had purchased.  And no data was taken from the Bonus zone.

That is when I contacted the community and you were nice enough to give me the complimentary 5 gb.  I also unplugged the modem and that seemed to fix the problem, because when I was on the computer early this morning (before 8 am) the data did come out of the bonus zone like it should.

If it happens again, I will take screen shots as you suggested.

Thanks,

Laurie

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@Laurie26 

One of your connected devices is likely using data for something.  To find out what's connected and how much data it has used, do this:

Click on Usage (on the ribbon at the top of the community's pages)
Click on Usage Details
Click on Usage again -- you will now see the Connected Devices link
Click on Connected Devices
Click the button labeled "See all connected devices." It's located towards the bottom of the page.

Thanks for responding.  I know my device was downloading a video from Utube.  But this was at 3:30 am, and when I checked around 6 am, I saw the data was taken from my service plan rather than the bonus zone.

So my problem is that the data is being decreased from my service plan during the bonus period.

maratsade

The reps here can check on that for you, to see if there really is an issue, and if there is, they'll fix it.   They're on M-F mostly during business hours. 

It may be that the data usage isn't being reported as it happens -- it may take a while to synchronise.

You should keep track of device usage anyway, to get a feel for how your network is using data. Use the information from the site for this. 

Thanks.  I'll keep tracking my data and see if anything changes tomorrow when the reps are working.

Thanks again,

Laurie

I have to say this has not been the best experience. The issue did not resolve itself by the next week, so I tried using the chat feature to explain my problem.  The person I was chatting with asked me to explain in more detail what the issue was.  While I was trying to write down everything in detail, the she sent another message asking "are we still connected?"  Then before I even had a chance to respond that I was still documenting everything, I got another message that she was terminating the chat so she could assist another customer.

Then I sent an email explaining everything in detail, and got an email response that they could not help by email and that I needed to call.  That was the next thing I did, and that was a good experience.  Someone came on the line right away, though it did take a while to get them to realize that I was not complaining about losing data during regular hours (8 am to 2 am), but that the data during the bonus period (2 am to 8 am) was being taken from my service plan amount rather than the bonus zone amount.  They got on the phone with a tech, and they finally saw what I was talking about.  They suggested that I unplug the modem for 10 seconds, and then plug it in again.  That fixed the problem, and the data was taken correctly from my service plan and also from the bonus zone amounts from then on.

Until the bonus zone last night.  I had run out of data, and purchased 5 gb of data tokens some days ago.  When I went to bed last night (about 10 pm), I had 2.1 gb left of my data tokens, and 29.1 in bonus zone data.  When I got up this morning (around 6 am) I had 1.7 gb of my data tokens left, and still 29.1 in bonus zone data.  Before 8 am, all my data token amount was gone, and 29.1 was still in my bonus zone data.  So obviously all data was taken from my data token amount during the Bonus period. 

When I realized what happened, I disconnected the modem again for 10 seconds and replugged it in.  Hopefully this will take care of it like it did last time.  But pretty sure I won't get the data token amount I lost back, and I really don't want to spend another $15 only to have the data drained during the bonus zone period.

Hi Laurie26,

Thanks for posting and sharing this latest update, i'm sorry to hear it happened again. I've added a complimentary 5GB data token to your account for the trouble. I've escalated this to our engineers here at corporate to investigate. I'll post back once I have any news to share or need additional info.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi Laurie26,

Thank you for your patience while our engineers looked into this. They aren't seeing any data usage discrepancies, so can you please confirm what you're looking at to determine which data type (regular service plan or bonus) is being used? If you could provide a screenshot, along with an explanation, that would be super helpful.

Thanks!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks Liz.  The last time this happened (about a week ago?) I called about it and the phone rep suggested I unplug the modem for 10 seconds, which I did.  That did fix the problem.

Then it happened again during the bonus period yesterday morning.  I had data left in the bonus zone and had already run out of my service data.  I had purchased the 5 gb tokens, and early yesterday morning (during the bonus period before 8 am) all my activity used up the data that was remaining from the 5 gb tokens I had purchased.  And no data was taken from the Bonus zone.

That is when I contacted the community and you were nice enough to give me the complimentary 5 gb.  I also unplugged the modem and that seemed to fix the problem, because when I was on the computer early this morning (before 8 am) the data did come out of the bonus zone like it should.

If it happens again, I will take screen shots as you suggested.

Thanks,

Laurie

To clarify, when you have token data during the Bonus Zone, that will be used after your Bonus Zone data has been depleted. Token data is like your safety net and will be used once any other eligible data is used up. 

So when you were checking the usage amounts, were you checking in the support center online? It would look similar to this:

Thanks,

Liz

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

To clarify, when you get token data, that will be used before using data from the Bonus Zone data during Bonus Zone hours.  

Is that new? Token data being used before Bonus Zone data during Bonus Zone hours?

Edit: I think you meant it the other way around, as in after, as in the following... "Token data is like your safety net and will be used once any other eligible data is used up." 

maratsade

Doesn't sound right...

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Doesn't sound right...

Looking at it afterward, especially with the sentence that followed, I think it was just a misstatement. I've made my fair share of them over the years on here. 🤪

maratsade

I'm a member of that club as well. 🤣🤣🤣

You're right Gabe, a mistake on my part, thanks for pointing that out! I'll edit my post.

Thanks,

Liz