cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 5 speeds are slowing down

jc2
Sophomore

Re: Gen 5 speeds are slowing down

Here are my download speed test results using the HT2000W modem/router 2.4GHz positioned a couple feet away. No other devices near or connected to wifi.   

http://testmy.net/quickstats/higroove

Associate Professor
jc2
Sophomore

Really? Even though 2 of the tests were a 1Mbps and 3Mbps. And the fact that I can use a Netgear router and get speeds of 40. And in the beginning l was getting 40 with either router. That doesn't tell you that something is wrong? Would it help if I posted speeds using the Netgear?
Associate Professor

The random test with those speeds could have been nothing but flukes from god knows what variable since it's going over wireless.

If you want, go ahead and throw up some tests with your netgear, but the fact remains, you are getting acceptable speeds.

Advanced Tutor

@jc2

My Gen 5 was installed back on the 19th of June. Up until a few days ago my download speeds were fantastic..

However, on July 5th and then again yesterday July 6th, (two straight days in a row) my speeds really took a nose dive.

Still not sure what caused it...but thankfully this morning, my download speeds are now back around the 38-44 Mbps range.

My computer is directly hooked up to the HT2000W modem/router with an ethernet cable.

There are no other devices connected to my modem/router and I had manually disabled all wifi settings.

I verified that I wasn't in FAP...

Weather was good, clear skies, etc in my area..

The 5th, I had download speeds of 1.59 Mbps, 3.76 Mbps, 8.74 Mbps and at times throughout the 5th, I couldn't even get an accurate 12 MB test result because the speeds were so slow. I dropped the download test down and with a 1.3MB download test, my download speed came in at 755 kbps Smiley Sad

Yesterday, the 6th, there was a slight improvement, but still with distinct slow downs during the afternoon and evening hours.

My only thoughts as to why this happened is perhaps bad weather at the gateway (not sure where my actual gateway is so I was unable to determine if this was indeed the cause) although viewing my system control those two days everything was apparently up and running with green check marks.....or perhaps just a systems glitch of somesort.

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID15
Beam ID71
Outroute ID

IP Gateway Association StateAssociated (Data IPGW - J2SEA071HNSIGW0101)

Anyways, like I said..download speeds have since resumed back to what they were lke prior to July 5th, and all is good now but I will keep my eye on things over these next few weeks.

Advanced Tutor

If someone can verify where my gateway is located, I can, in future, determine if weather is perhaps a factor in determining causes of reduced download speeds. TIA
jc2
Sophomore

Not that it matters, but I ran one speed test with the Netgear router and ran out of data...again. I will run more in the morning during bonus data hours...not that it matters.

Associate Professor

Jc2,

On your device, are you able to determine what your "Link Speed" is being negotiated as?

Also, it's best not to clear your results history on testmy.net, as engineering will need all results if Aedan escalates your case...  If you want to differentiate from your Netgear Wifi and the HT2000w Wifi, you can select Extra Identifier and select "Wifi" for Hughesnet, and "Location 1" for your Netgear.

Highlighted
jc2
Sophomore

Not sure what you mean by what the Link speed is being negotiated as. Link speed with Netgear is 130/65 Mbps. Hughesnet 144/75. Yeah l shouldn't have cleared my result history. I will do what you said about differentiating between the two.
jc2
Sophomore

Download speed test results using different routers. Netgear(1) vs HT2000W(wifi)