cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cal.gilbert
Sophomore

Gen5 - Nominal Signal Strength Question

Just curious:

I'm located on Norheast part of Maryland and am parked on Echostar 19 NAD Beam 68 and Gateway 14.

Does anyone have info on what the nominal signal strength should be?

I've been seeing 68-72 normally. 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi folks,

Looks like that range would be fine for you, Cal. I'm seeing 70 right now, and the speeds you're getting, according to my diagnostics, are showing over 40 Mbps in download speeds. Everything looks good!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@cal.gilbert

Signal strength varies from beam to beam, but yours does seem a bit low to me.  The reps will probably want to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to determine if everything is okay, so, if you don't already, you should leave your HughesNet modem plugged in so they are able to do so.  They'll be able to find your account by your sign on.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it may take them a day or two to reply.  

In the meantime, I'd make sure that the coax connector at the back of your modem is finger tight.  It doesn't need to be any tighter than this, but it shouldn't be loose.  

Edit:  I thought your name looked familiar. 🙂   It looks like your signal strength is down a bit, too.  In one of your previous posts (from September) it was 83.

GabeU:

Appreciate the quick response.  I had been seeing the strength drift a bit downward, but with the trees being fully leafed, I figured that might be a factor.  I was able to tweak the strength a bit by adjusting azimuth slightly. 

I'd rather be operating at peaked signal strength to give me some headroom for weather-related issues.

You're welcome Cal. Any adjustments to the outdoor unit should only be done by an authorized HughesNet technician. If you have concerns with your dish, please let us know so we can determine whether we need to send a tech out.

Feel free to drop by the community anytime if you need additional help!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Hi folks,

Looks like that range would be fine for you, Cal. I'm seeing 70 right now, and the speeds you're getting, according to my diagnostics, are showing over 40 Mbps in download speeds. Everything looks good!

Liz:
Thanks for the follow up.  I had been seeing a drop in signal strength over time. 

I did adjust the antenna azimuth upwards a small amount and got the strength up from about 68 to about 70-72.

Cal