cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plbaldwin888
New Poster

Hi the solution on the web is not working

A Javascript error occurred in the main process

uncaught Error parsing your configuration file:[C:\Users\Philip\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet usage Meter/status-meter.conf]: Unexpected token

here is the solution that is NOT working for me

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Usage-meter-javascript-error/td-p/74825

I have uninstalled both Java and the meter and reinstalled both I have also rebooted each time, none of these solutions are working for me. Please advise.

Thank you

Philip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@C0RR0SIVEis correct. The files that the meter uses may get corrupted due to an abrupt shut down of the machine. There's also the rare case where cached information may be corrupted from a packet error when your account information at Hughes is read by the modem.

This can be on Windows or Mac as the code takes similar actions on either.

Here is the FAQ that I am constructing for users to remedy this problem:

-------8<--------

Under some circumstances, the configuration and cached information that the Usage Meter needs to operate gets corrupted.

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" directory under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.

Disregard other recommendations that say to uninstall and reinstall the app and/or update Java as those do absolutely nothing to fix the problem. Uninstalling doesn't delete the directories above. Likewise, the application is written in JavaScript which is completely separate from Java, which of itself is a stand-alone runtime environment.

The only reason you should possibly uninstall something is if you are not running the current version, have inadvertently deleted part of the application, or have the older "HughesNet Status Meter" still installed. Uninstalling the older Status Meter and using the most recent version of Usage Meter is highly recommended.

-------8<--------

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The solution that Vampy marked as the solution, isn't in fact the solution, the status meter doesn't depend on Java running on a computer, it uses something very different called Java Script which can be ran with out Java being installed.

There is no need to reinstall, uninstall or do anything with the meter in most cases...

1: Close the Hughesnet Usage Meter if it manages to run.
2: Open "My Computer" or "This PC"
3a: Navigate to the directory in question
3b: You can type C:\users\YOURUSERNAME\appdata\roaming\Hughesnet Usage Meter to get to this area quickly, the appdata folder is hidden by default.
4: Delete the file referenced, in your case it's "status-meter.conf"
5: Attempt to open the Usage Meter, it should now re-open, if it comes up with a new error point to a different file, you will need to delete that file as well.

@MarkJFine can provide more insight into which files commonly become corrupted.

The reason this happens is because the Hughesnet Usage Meter wasn't properly closed the last time it ran, the file will become corrupted it a Windows machine isn't cleanly shut down... So sudden power losses, and crashes will corrupt the configuration files.  If deleted, the meter will recreate them when it goes to re-open.

@C0RR0SIVEis correct. The files that the meter uses may get corrupted due to an abrupt shut down of the machine. There's also the rare case where cached information may be corrupted from a packet error when your account information at Hughes is read by the modem.

This can be on Windows or Mac as the code takes similar actions on either.

Here is the FAQ that I am constructing for users to remedy this problem:

-------8<--------

Under some circumstances, the configuration and cached information that the Usage Meter needs to operate gets corrupted.

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" directory under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.

Disregard other recommendations that say to uninstall and reinstall the app and/or update Java as those do absolutely nothing to fix the problem. Uninstalling doesn't delete the directories above. Likewise, the application is written in JavaScript which is completely separate from Java, which of itself is a stand-alone runtime environment.

The only reason you should possibly uninstall something is if you are not running the current version, have inadvertently deleted part of the application, or have the older "HughesNet Status Meter" still installed. Uninstalling the older Status Meter and using the most recent version of Usage Meter is highly recommended.

-------8<--------

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I would like to say Thank you to you and Corrosive, working fine now.

Cheers 🍻

Hello , I found the solution for the JavaScript error ...I use W10 Creators edition .....When the new status meter came out , on install it created a 2nd folder in the program instead of getting rid of the first folder . The computer attempts to load off the original folder while parts of it have been uninstalled  🙂 . The Solution is to uninstall >>go to the folder(s) in the program files section >> C/programfiles >>> Delete the 2 hughesnet meter folders >>>> then reinstall and it will work great .

Mr. Lee :):)

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@darwinlee

While your issue seems to be a bit different than the more common JavaScript error people have seen, I'm sure it will help those who have an issue caused by similar circumstances to yours.  🙂  

I don't want to go into the new win 10 1709 udate....but was having problems with the meter afterwards....but...I FOUND YOUR POST "CORROSIVE" AND IT WORKED!!!!!

thank you!!!!! after all the uninstalls and reinstalls...just deleating that one file made my day! works great now! yahoooooooooooooooooo!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

In addtion, as intimated by Corrosive, the appdata folder is hidden by default.  If you type in the location it should take you directly to the folder in question.  If you look for it the manual way, you can unhide the appdata folder by clicking on "View", which will be one of the options on the top when in "This PC" or "My Computer", then tick the "Hidden items" box.  You'll then be able to see the appdata folder while in the folder of your user name.  

These instructions are for Windows 10.  I believe Windows 7 and 8.1 are a little different, though I can't remember for sure.