Intermittant service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbusbin
Freshman

Intermittant service

Probably can't get this typed before next outage.....Transmit light goes off and system light blinks for three minutes, then both go off for 5 to 20 minutes then all lights light and net is enabled for 5 to 8 minutes.  Continuously recycles in this sequence.  No help from support  email, called in and went through the scripted procedure with rep, was put on hold until my phone connection was lost.  About 30 minutes total.  (my location has very poor phone service).  Dish hasen't moved, pole is standimg upright and all cables have been replaced.  Either modem or dish unit is bad.  No help from Hughesnet.

This has been occuring for weeks, due to my poor phone service I tried to get help via email but was always told to call in, I did and got the above results.  System is out now, maybe this will save and send in about 20 minutes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No thanks to tech support but my system works again.  I relocated the dish to where I advised the original installer to place it, I aligned and peaked, reinstalled, reregistered, and rebooted. Has worked perfectly for over 24 hours.  It helps to have over 30 years experience in electronics repair and satelitte dish installation.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mbusbin

Unfortunately, the reps are not going to be back until Wednesday.  

In the meantime, if you have your modem plugged into a power strip and/or surge protector, try plugging it directly into a wall outlet to see if that makes any difference, as those two devices can sometimes cause issues with the modem.  

Make sure the power plug going into the back of the modem is snug.  Unplug the power (at the outlet end), remove the plug from the back of the modem and then plug it back in.  Be careful, as this plug is delicate, but make sure it's snug when you plug it back in.  It will only plug in a certain way, so if it's not going don't force it.  Again, make sure it's snug, then plug the other end back into the outlet.  

If none of this makes any difference, after the modem cycles a few times try to post a picture of your State Code page.  The State Codes may indicate why it's cycling.  

It's here... http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/state_code/state_code_monitor  

Make sure to edit out your SAN from the picture.  That's the number that starts with DSS.  That's your account number, and you should NEVER post your account number.  

Though it may be something simple, chances are the reps will have to take a look at what's going on.  If you don't normally leave your modem powered, it would be a good idea to do so on Wednesday so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment.  They can't do so if the modem is not powered.  

P.S.  Just a thought.  Because of the cycling and the time constraints it gives in replying, you can write your reply in Word, or maybe even WordPad or something like that, then when you come on here just copy and paste it into your reply.  That way you can do it quickly and before your modem powers down again.  If you don't have a dedicated word processing program like Word or Libre Office, WordPad is in Windows Accessories on a Windows based computer.  For a Mac, I'm not sure.   

maratsade

I'm tagging a rep, but be aware that there may be other customers ahead of you in line. @Amanda

Finally got tech support on the phone.  Was told problem would be solved by dish realignment, for only $125.00.

Seems that there has been some drift in the satellite (apparently that is somehow my fault so I have to pay).
I refused the offer.  I have installed dishes all the way back to C band so dish alignment is no problem.
I got the signal from 86 to 106 and all symptoms are the same as I knew they would be.
I am pasting this in as Hughnesnet won't stay up long enought to type this in.
Barely enough time to sign in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GabeU

@mbusbin wrote:

Finally got tech support on the phone.  Was told problem would be solved by dish realignment, for only $125.00.

Seems that there has been some drift in the satellite (apparently that is somehow my fault so I have to pay).
I refused the offer.  I have installed dishes all the way back to C band so dish alignment is no problem.
I got the signal from 86 to 106 and all symptoms are the same as I knew they would be.
I am pasting this in as Hughnesnet won't stay up long enought to type this in.
Barely enough time to sign in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though you may have gotten the signal up, by performing the work yourself you may have created a situation where a future tech visit that may not have cost you anything might now so, especially when concerning anything having to do with the dish.  

Any type of work required on your equipment needs to be conducted by an authorized technician.  

With this said, I hope your issue is soon resolved.  

Edit: There are often times where the reps here will offer a tech visit free of charge if one is needed to fix something, even if the phone reps say it will cost you.  I really wish you would have waited for a rep to reply here. 

You would suggest waiting?  How long?  I have gone into town to get on line and found that a search shows this exact problem is prevalent with Hughesnet.  However no solution is posted.  I have no doubt that this is a known problem and it seems that Hughesnet is reluctant to own it.

My best guess is that the modem's microprocessor is getting interference with its clock pulses and getting out of step.  It randomly falls into place and works great until it loses sync again.  If it were mine, and I had the schematics,I would take it to my work bench and look into this theory.  However, I don't think it proper for me to do this

GabeU

@mbusbin

Within an hour of you first posting I tried to help you and get the ball rolling for support if I, or others, couldn't, but you never replied.  I laid out a few things to try and asked to you to post your state codes if those things didn't make any difference, as the state codes help point to the issue, and to whether it is a customer fixable thing or not. 

With this site, when a customer posts of an issue, we, who are other customers, try to determine the cause of that issue and help if we can.  If it's determined that it's something we customers cannot help with, the reps are notified and they get involved.  Some problems are simple and fixable by the customers themselves, and some are not, but that needs to be determined, and without input from the customer having the issue(s) that can't be done.   

Though maratsade tagged a rep, I'll tag both of them.  You should hear from one of them soon.  

@Liz

@Amanda

Edit:  Though an issue may seem similar to others listed, the cause may not be.  That's why we ask the questions and give the things to try that we do.   

Dish has been moved to ensure no trees.  Signal peaked and results are the same.

No thanks to tech support but my system works again.  I relocated the dish to where I advised the original installer to place it, I aligned and peaked, reinstalled, reregistered, and rebooted. Has worked perfectly for over 24 hours.  It helps to have over 30 years experience in electronics repair and satelitte dish installation.