Internet is abysmal but the privacy and security issues are far worse

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MisJulie72
Freshman

Internet is abysmal but the privacy and security issues are far worse

I’ve had HughesNet for exactly 1 month. I use WiFi for my phone. No TV’s at all right now. So far I’ve called customer service at least 5 times and the tech has been to my house 3 times. The lagging and slow loading of ANYTHING has made me bald pulling my hair out but tonight’s episode takes the cake. Tonight my internet went down twice for no reason. While talking to the rep I also asked her why my roommate was getting emails concerning my account. She told me that they can’t control who gets the emails or send account notifications to just one email. (Mind you I am the only account holder.) ANYBODY that accesses my WiFi will get the emails. Wait! What? If I allow 1000 friends to access my WiFi, any or all of them will get account notification emails on MY account? That is not only an invasion of my privacy and security but it’s an invasion of my roommates privacy. How did they even get her email address? She didn’t sign up or ask for this garbage. This is a l**s*** waiting to happen.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MisJulie72,

This message will pop-up on any device connected to the service until the billing issue is resolved on your end. We are not able to limit the number of devices that receive this message.

For future reference, you can set-up text or e-mail billing notifications to avoid these messages http://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/account_billing/how-do-i-subscribe-or-modify-my-hughesnet-notifi...

-Jay

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MisJulie72 

First, the emails.  Any emails concerning your HughesNet account should only go to the email address registered for such.  You can see what account is registered for account related emails by signing into the HughesNet MyAccount site and clicking on the Account Information tab (hover your pointer on My Account to display the tabs).  You can see the email registered next to the Billing Email line.   With that said, are you sure they're actually emails specific to your account and not just general HughesNet ad emails or even phishing attempts?

With regard to your service going down twice tonight, what happened that showed you that it was down?  Did you lose the ability to connect to the net or possible receive notifications of an inability to connect to websites?  Is it possible that your phone was out of range?  Keep in mind that the 5GHz WiFi band has a much shorter range than the 2.4GHz band, so if you're using the former you may want to consider switching to the latter.  If it is a range issue, this may help.  Conversely, if the issue is a signal interference type issue, the 5GHz band is less susceptible than the 2.4GHz band to such.

I'm only a fellow subscriber, not a HughesNet rep.  Whatever it was that the techs came out for previously will only be visible to those reps.  If you're having some sort of technical difficulties I'm sure the reps here will be able to help you, as well as help with the email issue.  They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They're also corporate based reps, unlike most on the phone, so they may very well be better equipped to help with your issue(s). 

You would think it would go to the only email on file which I mentioned that I am the only account holder. Yes, I’ve checked the email as well as having the rep confirm it. Oh yes, I’m sure they are actual account notification emails because for the last 2 days she’s gotten them and sent me the screenshots which I have saved on my phone.

As far as the internet, I was catching up on some YT videos and all of a sudden nothing. Then got the notification I wasn’t connected to the internet. I didn’t readily look at the modem, I tried a number of things to figure out what was going on. Then called customer service. She asked if I’d rapid cycled the modem and it was then that I noticed there were only 3 lights on. She said unplug the modem but before I could even walk the 10 feet it was already back to normal. About 1-2 hours later it went down again. This time only the power light was on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it was ok for about that long. Then the internet light was the only one out. Right at 2:00 am CST *poof* everything came back on just fine.
I am aware of the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and which does what. I learned that just the other day on an advanced technical support call stemming from continuous issues.

I do appreciate the help. The advanced techs are ALWAYS more knowledgeable than phone people. I don’t know who or where Hughes gets their employees but that’s another topic for another day.

I apologize for not answering your other question.

I am never out of range of the modem at home. I live in a 32.5’ RV and the modem is basically right in the middle where a TV would normally go
GabeU

@MisJulie72 

It's possible that the two outages were caused by weather at your gateway.  Like the dish at your location it's susceptible to bad weather, though it usually takes harsher weather to affect it due to being a much larger and more powerful dish.  If you don't already know where your gateway is located, you can find out by looking at the information here.  It's a website by one of the other "regulars" here.  Once you know where it is you can check the weather for that area to see if this may have been the cause.  When weather at one's gateway does cause an outage it's usually short lived.  

I'm sure the reps will take a look at what could be causing it.  I forgot to mention in my last reply that, if you don't already, it would be best to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary, which they likely will.  I mention this due to some people unplugging their modem when they're not using the service (I do).  

As for the email, that's a head scratcher, no doubt.  I'm sure that the reps will be able to look into it and find out why it's happening, as it definitely shouldn't be.   

Though it's unlikely they would, just to make sure they don't miss this thread I'll tag a couple of the reps.  With the email thing being especially concerning, and with it being the last day of the week for them, I'm hoping they reply today.  @Liz @Jay 

Good luck.  🙂  

@GabeU
This has been a great help. I appreciate it. I just joined the community and have no idea how to use it. Just winging it.

Hello MisJulie72,

Thank you for reaching out here on the community. I see that GabeU has already provided some very helpful information!

I'd like to take a closer look at your account to see what may be going on with the intermittent outages and the e-mails. Please see my private message to continue! 

-Jay

@Jay
Yes, he was very helpful. I’ve returned your PM as well.
MisJulie72
Freshman

I stand corrected. The account notifications that my roommate is getting are not going to her email. They are pop ups when she checks her email. It’s still a privacy and security issue but I wanted to provide the correct information.

MisJulie72,

I just sent a private message confirming the e-mail we have on file is the correct one. Concerning these pop-ups that your friend is receiving, what application or website is sending them? Are you two using a shared device? Could you send a screenshot of one of these pop-ups?

-Jay

They are coming from HughesNet. I am not sure how to show the screenshots that I have.

Shared device? No. She is using her Samsung Galaxy and I use my IPhone 8 Plus

MisJulie72,

You can post screenshots a number of ways.

1. Selecting the "Photos" option
2. Selecting "choose files"
3. Pasting directly into the body of your message

-Jay

maratsade

@Jay , I don't think those options are available when accessing the community from the iPhone. 

Correct. There is zero options

Unfortunately my phone does not give me any options to upload photos. I did try copy and paste but it only gives me ‘select’ and ‘select all’

maratsade

Yeah, that's it.  I wish the mobile site provided options, and maybe it will in the future. Do you have any access to a laptop or computer?  Alternatively, the mods here may provide an email address where you can send screenshots, which you can take from your iPhone.  (Not sure if there is such an email address, though). 

@maratsade Ah, that is correct, I forgot the mobile version does not have the "Photos" option.

@MisJulie72 You will still be able to choose files or paste the screenshots here.

-Jay

Actually no, I don’t have any options. I tried to paste and nope.

What browser are you using? I was able to attach and paste files with Safari on my iPhone.

-Jay

I am in Safari as well. Is there another browser that you think would work better?