Problem AGAIN with speed in evening!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkeeper1
Junior

Problem AGAIN with speed in evening!

.68 on your test a few minutes ago.  Very slow in evening  below 1.0 at times -- buffering, etc.  check  testmy site and your site the last couple of days.  Speed acceptable in morning.  I know traffic can hurt speed, but not to this extent.  Can you help? or do I just have to put up with it?     Hi Liz
Bkeeper
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bkeeper -our last discussion ended with upgrade and cancellation options. I have private messaged you about upgrading and what I can do for you.

Amanda

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50

Hi;

Just ran three tests at testmy site.  Between 6:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.

They were as follows;

Test 1. 404 Kbps.  Hughes network

Test 2. 5.63 Mbps.   AT&T - my daughter's hotspot

Test 3. 545 Kbps.   Hughes network

I would prefer to stay with Hughes -- but if this is going to run into months.....

Please - can anything be done?

Bkeeper

Another week gone by --SAME STORY -- Slow in evenings - constant buffering (thank goodness for my daughter and her cell phone "hotspot").  Sure am not getting the service I am paying for, - doesn't seem right, you'd think they would at least adjust the cost.  Still have no complaint with Hughes (except for the last few weeks) -- if they could only fix the speed problem and I didn't feel like they were ignoring me.  

I just upgraded to Gen5. It is FAST!

I spoke to the installer about how slow Gen4 is. He said that it is completely full and will continue to be slow until people upgrade to Gen5. Therefore, if you want speed, you must upgrade because there is no telling how long it will take for enough people to upgrade for you to regain your speed.

This is probably why people are not getting help concerning their slow speed. There is nothing that they can do at this time.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeup... That's why even forum regulars have mostly backed out of Jupiter One speed issues... nothing can be done till enough users actually upgrade, and if someone needs immediate relief it's suggested they upgrade... Of course those on Gen4 Ultra might get upset by that statement... Fact is simple, nothing can be done.

Hi:

Seems like you're the only one that is not ignoring me - that has been the most irritating and upsetting part of this whole mess. The moderators/techs act as if they just hope the problem will go away if they don't do anything. Even just a note once a week to say they are still on the job would help.

I recognize the problem and am still wishing and hoping.

Would like to go to Gen5 -- but can't afford the extra (average over the next two years) almost $500 per year.  AND how do I know the problem wont resurface with Gen5?  The fine print still reads the same.  I kept my end of the bargain and payed for the service every month.  What about Hughes?

At least this last week was slightly better - most (not all) of the time I was able to stream Netflix with little or no buffering -- But, in the evening - don't try anything else!  Most of the time the speed stayed above 1.0 Mbps,  didn't drop into the Kbps.  Just barely enough to stream Netflix and not much else. Still VERY slow, not what I signed up for years ago.  Daytime speed had a definite improvement.

Will let you know what happens next week.

Thanks

bkeeper,

What plan and modem do you have now? How much are you paying now? Did you call HughesNet to find out if they can give you a deal?

I called them and got a really good deal as far as the new modem for Gen5. I am on the 20/50 plan which is $49.99 for the first year. After that it goes to $69.99. My plan under Gen4 was $79.99 for 15/50.

It is clear that your speed is not going to change for quite a while.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

" Still VERY slow, not what I signed up for years ago."

It gets slower with time because more people are added to the beam. 

bkeeper -our last discussion ended with upgrade and cancellation options. I have private messaged you about upgrading and what I can do for you.

Amanda

Really tired of how slow it is in the evening hours, been happening for the last 6 months and getting worse.  Wish I had another option!!! HughesNet overcharges and does not provide reasonable service.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@catt

As it stands right now, the only option may be upgrading to Gen5.  For most, this has greatly improved their experience, though this isn't guaranteed.  

With that said, as more people upgrade to Gen5 and migrate to the new satellite, Gen4 service on the ES17 satellite should improve.  

Amanda

Hi Cliff

Got the call today that last night the work was completed on your beam. Any difference today? Seems we may have to wait until tonight to see if it has improved. I do hope their changes have had some effect.

Thanks
Amanda
bkeeper1
Junior

Good morning Amanda;
Did not notice much of a change --  speed seems more erratic. Dropped to less than 1Mbs last evening. Check out the testmy page.  I was trying to stream movies yesterday so that might have influenced the tests in the afternoon and early evening. But tests run later were isolated. We will see what happens over the weekend. I think they still have work to do.
One thing else I have noticed.  I have not been getting the daytime speeds I used to get. (I believe I mentioned this before)  I used to get 15 to 20 Mbs regular, now I,m lucky to get 12 or better. Don't know if this has a bearing on the problem or not?  Like right now, it is 4-5 a.m. and I am only getting 7-11 Mbs.  Should be much higher.  Everything is off here, and there can't be much traffic.
Thanks for your help,
Clff
Amanda

Hey Cliff

Just looking at your overall chart I can see the top speeds have plateaued and gotten significantly lower. I've let the engineer on the case know about this and provided him the new data. Depending on where you live, we might be able to get you on Gen5 very soon and solve it that way.

Thanks
Amanda
bkeeper1
Junior

Hi Amanda;
Hope you had a good weekend.  It has been pretty much the same here (with the connection speed) as it has been lately..  Sure hope this gets fixed soon. I have been running a lot of speed tests - so you can check those out on the testmy page. 
Thanks,
Cliff

Have not heard from you.  Still having same problem.  What is happening?  When is the new one going online or whatever?  Would appreciate knowing you are still there.

Cliff

Hi Amanda;
Problem is getting WORSE - STILL NO SPEED IN EVENING!!  I know you are busy - what with the changeover etc.,  but would appreciate it if you would at least wave as you go by.  Any idea how much longer this is going to be?  It is really getting old.  Keep smiling -- things have to get better (I hope).
Thanks for your help 
Cliff

Another bad weekend.  Wife says to have patience, but I am getting tired of the slow speed. We have been downloading (a lot of) movies during the times when the speed is somewhat acceptable, so that we (have a choice) (can watch them) all the way through without the constant buffering.  BUT this means that I have exceeded the expected usage for this data cycle.  Thank goodness I had a backup of tokens.  It will all work out.  I am not giving up on Hughes and you yet.  Any idea of how much longer?  You must have quite a mess right now.  Smile, it could be worse.

Thanks, 

Cliff

Is there anybody still working on my case?  Other that the e-mail about "upgrading to Gen5 - I have not heard from anyone for weeks.  I would appreciate an answer.

After reading the information about Gen5 -- it is not for me at this time.

We do have the current speed problem which has to be solved. 

Hughes spends so much effort and money advertising for new customers it seems to me they would be better off doing a little more to take care of current customers.  Then they wouldn't have so many unhappy with their service!  

AND right now I am VERY unhappy.

Man Sad

Bkeeper

Still no improvement – Really SLOW in late afternoon till midnight. 

The answer I was given to ("upgrade to Gen5") doesn't solve the problem.  I might get more speed with Gen5 - but, I am currently on the ULTRA PLAN (which promises “up-to” 15 Mbps download speed) and really, what difference am I going to see between the 15 Mbps (I am supposed to be getting now) -- and the 25 Mbps (supposed to get - not guaranteed – how do I know the same problems won’t occur?) on Gen5?  In the meantime allowable anytime data would drop from 50 G currently, down to 20 G on the Gen5 plan before a major slowdown. Please read the fine print!

Also, I would have to pay more (a lot more!!) (My monthly bill would go from approx. $90.00/month to $115.00/month for the next 12 months - and then to $145/month after that) for less service? That is an EXTRA $960.00 over the next two years! WOW!!

If I am mistaken in any of the above – please let me know.  

I have been a customer of Hughes for years and (with one exception) I have always found them a decent company to do business with.  However, with this last problem, there seems to be little or no effort to help. It has been weeks since any of the “technicians/moderators have bothered to respond to any of my posts or emails, and I feel that they are just hoping that by ignoring me and the problem it will go away.  I am beginning to think this "slowdown" everybody seems to be experiencing was a deliberate action by Hughes to get customers to "upgrade?"..

large.png

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

bkeeper1,

Not sure what Hughesnet can do, the Ultra plan no longer exists, and Jupiter One is "at capacity", which mostly means that it has been oversold.  The only thing you can do is wait things out and hope enough people on your beam/gateway assignment decide to jump to Jupiter II, or wait to see if Hughes offers Ultra like plans on Jupiter II.

In our consumer business, we ended Q4 with 1,036,000 subs compared to 1,018,000 subs at the end of Q3 and 1,035,000 subs at the end of Q4 last year. As you know, Echo 17 continues to be at capacity in many beams that's constraining growth in the North American subscriber base.

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-sats-earnings-conference-022824375.html

bkeeper1,

In response to your last PM and this post, if you choose to opt out of upgrading, I cannot force that upon you. I did get the latest update from engineering this week who let me know there was maintenance done to improve performance on your beam and it was completed on March 1st. Aside from that, there is nothing further scheduled. If the service is still not satisfactory and an upgrade is not viable, the final thing I can offer you is to cancel your service without any early termination fees. 

Thank you,

Amanda