Problems using cell phones over WiFi

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dallas
New Poster

Problems using cell phones over WiFi

Been reading the comments on this problem. My phone does not work with my verizon extender. Bought new phones that are Wi Fi compatable. As mentioned by others, calls come in fine but break up on other end. Must have phone for communication. Any suggestion other than cancel service and return to ATT DSL. Also cannot see any difference in speed and using 5G.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Dallas wrote:

not paying Hughes Net for anything else, either they provide the services they say they provide or I ditch them. Thanks for you input.

@maratsade wrote:

Wifi phones don't work well with satellite internet due to the latency that's inherent to satellite.  You may want to try Hughesnet Voice.  (I personally don't use it  so I don't know how well it works).

Did you ask about cell calling over WiFi during the sales call? Here is what the Help/FAQs section says:

cellwifi.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Wifi phones don't work well with satellite internet due to the latency that's inherent to satellite.  You may want to try Hughesnet Voice.  (I personally don't use it  so I don't know how well it works).

not paying Hughes Net for anything else, either they provide the services they say they provide or I ditch them. Thanks for you input.

@maratsade wrote:

They do provide the service they say they provide. It just so happens that wifi calling isn't one of them:

from Internet Support:

Can I make Wi-Fi calls over HughesNet using my cell phone?

Making calls over Wi-Fi via HughesNet (or any satellite service) is not recommended due to signal transmission latency. However, HughesNet offers a Voice over IP (VoIP) service which uses a different technology from Wi-Fi calling for reliable, clear calls. Learn more about HughesNet Voice.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Dallas wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

Did you ask about cell calling over WiFi during the sales call? Here is what the Help/FAQs section says:

cellwifi.PNG