Slow Speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RiverDog
Sophomore

Slow Speed

I am having a speed problem. I am getting very slow speeds and have speed tested on testmy.net with an average 0.2 Mbps / 0.4 Mbps. I have i Windows 10 Pro system, 20Gb ram, and am directly connected to the modem with a new cat 6 cable. The system is up to date and uses Bitdefender Total for antivires and firewall protection. I use Superantispyware for malware and it showes clean. This has been going on for a couple of months but recently became very slow. I also can't access the WIFI settings in the modem, it previously worked but now won't accept the "admin" password. any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good Morning Liz,

Let's start your day right. After extensive testing I think I have found the problem. I had an older  switch attached that was sending out a lot of interference. I replaced it with a managed Netgear switch and there was a definite speed increase. Enclosed is a link to the test results. https://testmy.net/db/t3RpIsHw8  

I would say to close this ticket as the problem seems to be resolved. I thank you for your time and patience, I worked a help desk in Pittsburgh and I understand how rough a job you have. Thank you so much!!!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Maybe it's a dish misalignment...the HN reps on this site can run remote diagnostics to see how everything is working.  Not sure what to tell you about the password...I hope someone else here will have some ideas. 

Dish alignment was one of the possible problems or it could be the modem. This has been operational since Jan 2018. I was a network admin for many years, things break...

maratsade

Things sure do break.  The admins will be able to run remote diagnostics and you can go from there. I hope you hear soon. 

Liz

Good morning RiverDog,

Thanks for reaching out. I tried running diagnostics on your site but can't communicate with the modem. Do you occasionally leave the modem disconnected?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I normally never shut it off. we did have a few storms come through last night, possibly that was when you attempted to access the modem. Today is clear and sunny.

Thanks for the clarification RiverDog. I ran the diagnostic right before posting a little over half an hour ago. Tried running it again now and still can't reach the modem. I can dispatch a complimentary tech at the earliest available slot to review your site and address any issues. Do you have a preference for morning or afternoon visits?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Ah, hold on, the diagnostics did finally complete. Looks like you're currently under the Fair Access Policy and have been so since June 29. Does that line up with when you noticed the slower speeds?

-Liz

No I've been having problems since before March, You can look at the speed tests on your website. If I can add an attachment I'll enclose a PDF. Due to health problems any tech visits would be better in the afternoon.

Thanks.

I'm seeing something connected to the modem called "Archer_C7" with bad device health with high packet loss according to the diagnostics. Is that the computer you're using? Do you have another device to test with the modem or on the network to see if speeds are consistently slower than normal on other devices?

For your convenience I've sent you a complimentary token to apply to troubleshoot while outside of the Fair Access Policy.

-Liz

The Archer C7 is my router. I had it connected through a switch. The router is old so it could be defective. I connected my laptop directly to the modem and still got very slow speeds, 2.38 down and .39 up. i then tested with the desktop system, with nothing else connected, and got a .10 down and a .38 up. I will pick up a new router this weekend but won't connect till we can get the problem resolved. I still can't access the WIFI on the modem. Can you retest the modem when you get time and let me know what's going on? Thanks
GabeU

@RiverDog 

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST, so it won't be until at least Monday before you hear anything from Liz again.  I mention this just in case you started wondering why you weren't hearing back from her sooner.  

Good morning RiverDog,

Thank you for the additional information. It's slow because you're still subject to the Fair Access Policy. I see you still have the complimentary token I provided. Is that visible on your end? If you log into your account and navigate to MyAccount > Usage, and click Buy Token under the Usage Meter, you should see that there's a token available for you to use to restore regular speeds. 

Until you use a token or wait until the data allowance resets on the 26th, speeds will be reduced. If you can't see the free token, please let me know.

-Liz

I appreciate the token Liz but I just checked at 2:24 AM on testmy.net and I show a.3 download and a .3 upload. I am not in FAP status after 2:00 and have 79% bonus left. I also am getting dropped service on my tablet. That just started today.

Capture.JPG

Thanks RiverDog. Do you have your testmy.net results URL? That way we can keep track of all your results in one place. Were these run using the 25 MB test file size? If not, here's how to select the 25 MB test file size for your download speed tests

I'll send you another token, I want to be sure you're using the token data while running a few more speed tests.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

@Liz wrote:

Thanks RiverDog. Do you have your testmy.net results URL? That way we can keep track of all your results in one place. Were these run using the 25 MB test file size? If not, here's how to select the 25 MB test file size for your download speed tests

I'll send you another token, I want to be sure you're using the token data while running a few more speed tests.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/RiverDog?type=user_name&q=RiverDog&limit=25 

Here's a link to the tests. I just used what testmy.net determined as a size. I will set up another test using 25MB as soon as I sign out. I did install the second token install and will not be using any computer equiptment for hours. Before I retired I was a network admin for many years. I realize things take time and I'm not the only problem that Hughes has. Eventually we will get a solution. My biggest concern is if the Inrernet is down, I can't use my phone. I live in the middle of nowhere (and love it) and have no cell service. I also have extreme health problems and need ambulance service at unexpected times.

Thanks for the link, this helps. I also appreciate your patience and understanding. Regarding your Voice service, thankfully, whether you have data or not, your HughesNet Voice service will still work.

-Liz

Just a little more info, I attempted a 12 hour test and it never completed and also wasn't recorded. I had this message on the screen.

" Secure Connection Failed"

"An error occured during a connection to dallas7.testmy.net"

"The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified"

"Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem"

Around midnight I started using my tablet and after about 15 minutes I lost all internet.That lasted about 20 minutes than everything was normal. Around 4:30 AM I tried a 25MB test and I checked it at 4:56 and it had completed 1.3MB and was locked up. I startea another 25MB at 5:00AM and received the "Secure Connection Failed" error again with the only difference bet the server was at ny.testmy.net. The computer power settings is set to never shut off (except the monitors) I have done a SFC check with no errors.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 045557.jpg

Hi RiverDog, 

Thank you, I do see in your test results that no new tests with the 25 MB file size were recorded. Looking at your account now, I do see that you have the data tokens applied. So did you try to run a few individual speed tests using the 25 MB file size (not including the 12 hr test, we normally don't request those) while running on token data?

I'd like to confirm what speeds you're getting while using token data.

-Liz

I never finished using the desktop system. It would get a little less than 2 MB and just quit working. i've waited over 20 minutes and there was no change. I hocked my laptop up and ran 4 tests at 25MB. I averaged from 14.85 to 8.32 MB. this tells me there is something in the desktop not working right. I still think there are other problems, possibly in the modem since I can't access the WIFI area. I could also be alignment. let me see if I can see what's happening on this end and leave the ticket open. Unless i hear from you it will probably be a couple of days or so. Here's a link to my last test results.

https://testmy.net/db/yfwWzfbHc 

Thank you,

Good you were able to discern that something may be off with the desktop computer.

As for accessing the wifi settings, if admin is no longer working you can try these steps to reset the modem and wifi password:

-Simultaneously press the reset button in the back and the WPS button in the front.

-Release the reset button, don't hold it down.

-Keep the WPS button held down for 30 seconds or until any LED other than Power comes back on.

You should now be able to log into the wifi settings of the mode using the default credentials on the back of the modem.

-Liz