Slow and variable response time

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBill-2552
Freshman

Slow and variable response time

I continue to have slow, and variable, web response times that cause problems severe enough that this satellite internet service probably won't work for me.  The web response tested about 20 times yesterday varied from around 0.8 seconds to 4.1 seconds.  Today (early this morning) it's better, varying from 0.2 to 0.4 seconds.  

The problem that I have is that my internet appliances that control my three air conditioners lose their connection to the internet and do not re-connect, either by me refreshing my app, or by rebooting the HT2010.  I tried address reservations as a means to try to get them back to the same IP address, but that did not help.  I also tried rebooting the HT2010 via software command and by power cycling it.  I did this multiple times. 

The only sure way I have found to get the internet appliances back online is to physically unplug their USB dongles and plug them back in. I can also do so by power cycling them at the breaker. Neither of those can I do unless I am at the remote location.  In this Texas heat, I cannot rely on an internet service that won't allow me to control the air conditioners.  I would have the same problem in the winter as these provide heating too (they are mini-split A/Cs).

Last week the primary unit went offline and stayed offline for a week until I arrived and started checking.  Fortunately it was already on so it just stayed on for a week.  I checked the web response and found it to be long, as stated above.  After re-booting the HT2010, it stayed offline.

When they don't connect, I have verified that they are not connected by looking at the wireless device list.

Are there other things I can try to get my internet appliances to re-connect to the HT2010 remotely?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MrBill-2552
Freshman

This topic seems to be of some interest given the number of views. So here is an update.

Feedback that I received via PM from a moderator is that apparently HughesNet finds the web response times that I reported are not unexpected and that they will be glad to help me try reduce the response time if the response time exceeds 12 seconds.

Maybe it's just me but it seems unusable for many modern applications.  I don't know many folks that would be happy getting a web search result 10 seconds later, or getting a streaming channel change 10 seconds later.  

UPDATE 8/23: Since the web response time does not support my internet devices, HughesNet has kindly agreed to allow me to terminate my agreement early.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Remy

MrBill-2552,

Thanks for reaching out! We'd love to help look into this, but I was unable to locate the account connected to your Community profile. Please send a private message to the link provided below, with your account number or a phone number attached!

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/102584

Thanks,

Remy

MrBill-2552
Freshman

I tried to send the requested PM but got an error message

Thanks for your help

Screenshot_20230816_190914_Brave.jpg

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That happens when we click more than once and the system misinterprets it. All you need to do is wait about 60 seconds, sometimes a bit more, and try again, making sure you only click once.  If it happens again, repeat. 

It's understandable how that might happen.  Years of conditioning with a rather snappy response time (<< 1 sec) over cellular or cable internet networks make it hard to adapt to a satellite network that can take a few seconds to respond.  Thanks.

MrBill-2552
Freshman

Here is a graph of the exported web response times.  Some (those much less than 1 second) were taken away from the router so are probably not valid.  Many of the more recent results were just after a router reboot.

Data taken 6/21/23 - 8/17/23Data taken 6/21/23 - 8/17/23

MrBill-2552
Freshman

This topic seems to be of some interest given the number of views. So here is an update.

Feedback that I received via PM from a moderator is that apparently HughesNet finds the web response times that I reported are not unexpected and that they will be glad to help me try reduce the response time if the response time exceeds 12 seconds.

Maybe it's just me but it seems unusable for many modern applications.  I don't know many folks that would be happy getting a web search result 10 seconds later, or getting a streaming channel change 10 seconds later.  

UPDATE 8/23: Since the web response time does not support my internet devices, HughesNet has kindly agreed to allow me to terminate my agreement early.