Slow speeds only in prime time hours

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhorwath
Sophomore

Slow speeds only in prime time hours

I see there's other complaints but I'm not sure what was resolved with this issue.  I have the 15mg plan, using the HT1100 modem.  In the mornings I get 20+ download speeds using testmy.net.  Afternoon it drops some, then during prime time I'm down to 1mb.  I called tech support and they thought I need to re-point the satellite but that makes no sense if I'm getting good speed during the morning hours.  Can you offer any solutions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Amanda has been working on my issue behind the scenes, so I thought I'd come on and mention that we are working through it.  The result is that I'll be switching to Gen 5 on a lower data plan than what I currently have.  With the compression of data on streaming that is used on Gen 5, I should be able to stay within the 30g.  Even if I go over 30g the throttled speed is better than what I have today so it's a no-brainer.

thanks Amanda!

View solution in original post

105 REPLIES 105
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Ok, usually by now speed has recovered. Getting tired, will stay up a bit more to hopefully report result.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I give up, tired. Normally at least 10 mbps by now. Will post a test result n the morning, probably 20+.

cybo54
Junior

We just hoped on Gen4 this past week, and see similar here during prime-time (I'd guess 5-10:30PM), then 11PM or so back into the 20's and 30's.  We get fastest speeds mainly in the morning/afternoon, and a little decent bump back up between 11PM-2AM.  As soon as Bonus Bytes time starts it's back to slow again until between maybe 3-5 AM.

And I'm in agreement with BirdDog to say this isn't meant to be a complaint or request for help, only wanted to add to the pile and say you're not alone w/ slow prime-time slowdown speeds.

We know to expect slower during this time of course, as we've been customer for 10+ years, but it does seem like it shouldn't be this slow compared to the non-prime-time speeds.

Many tests in our account if any staff needs to check to send more results to the engineers.  Also many rounds of testmy results here too
http://testmy.net/quickstats/Eddd54
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Hopefully, when all is said and done and the J2 satellite is up and running, things will begin to change, even if slowly.  The evening slowdowns will almost surely never be alleviated altogether, but an improvement would definitely be helpful for many.  

With that said, as I stated before, I, personally, have never really been bothered by the evening slowdown, even when it gets to sub 1Mbps speeds.  I just avoid doing things that require higher bandwidth, or downloading large files what would otherwise be done within a reasonable amount of time.  I don't notice any difference with anything else.  

GabeU

andy.donna, 

Make sure that when you run a test, you use the 12MB manual size for download tests and the 2MB manual size for upload tests.  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/donna1961

dhorwath
Sophomore

glad it's not affecting you, but everyone's situation is different.  My wife runs a business on-line, and can't do so after 4:00 pm.  We stream movies on-line, paying for memberships to do so, but when I get home from work it's a no-go.  This has been going on since around Chistmas time.  I'll be sure to post and sing the praises if/when this is fixed.  We'll see
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Back up this morning as expected.

seasterbrook
New Poster

I agree with dhorwath "every situation is different". Many of us rely on the internet in the evening and when you are paying $80+ month for service you expect it to work 24/7. 

In any event, test results tonight (Friday PM), so far, were incredibly good compared to test results from the past months. I will check again in a few days.
seasterbrook
New Poster

FYI- My speeds are backdown again. Tests taken 02/07/17.

Amanda

Good morning dhorwath,

Just a heads up, the engineer on your case provided an update. He let me know that there is a planned expansion in the next 2-3 weeks for your beam. This will provide a lot of relief for the night time speeds which will continue all the way up until we release Gen5. I will apply a discount for the next 6 months while the work is completed.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you
Amanda

How about a price reduction across the board, since this seems to be a common problem. I pay for speeds "up to 15Mbps", but have been told repeatedly that 60% of that is "normal". I could live with that if you could provide that speed AT ALL TIMES, not 20's in the mornings and 1Mbps or less when I'm home and wanting to stream something later in the day. A 9Mbps average is not what I pay for.

maratsade

"I pay for speeds "up to 15Mbps", but have been told repeatedly that 60% of that is "normal"."

Up to means that the speed can be anything from 0 to 15. Speeds are not guaranteed.

HughesNet service is available in the contiguous U.S. with an unobstructed view of the southern sky, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy. Actual speeds vary based on the amount of traffic on the Internet, content on a particular Website, or by the overall performance and configuration of your computer. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours.

Source: http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-01-01-15.cfm

If you subscribed on or after March 10, 2017, then the terms are

HughesNet® service is available in the contiguous U.S., Alaska and Puerto Rico with an unobstructed view of the southern sky, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy. Actual speeds vary based on the amount of traffic on the Internet, content on a particular Website, or by the overall performance and configuration of your computer. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than speed indicated during peak hours.

Source: http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

bump

is there an option to get on Gen 5 ?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Amanda????

Haven't heard from you since Feb 10, your response was:

Good morning dhorwath,

Just a heads up, the engineer on your case provided an update. He let me know that there is a planned expansion in the next 2-3 weeks for your beam. This will provide a lot of relief for the night time speeds which will continue all the way up until we release Gen5

Is anything further being done on my beam?  Can I move to Gen 5 at the same cost i have with Gen 4?  The minions have put me in a bad mood, I'm wanting to hear from you

Hi;

Amanda did not respond or answer me for four weeks – She kind of left me with the feeling that she was just too busy to fool with my problems.  It’s not pleasant when you are not sure if you are even being heard.

When she did finally respond to my postings and PMs (just a little over a week ago) this is all she had to say.

“In response to your last PM and this post, if you choose to opt out of upgrading, I cannot force that upon you. I did get the latest update from engineering this week who let me know there was maintenance done to improve performance on your beam and it was completed on March 1st. Aside from that, there is nothing further scheduled. If the service is still not satisfactory and an upgrade is not viable, the final thing I can offer you is to cancel your service without any early termination fees. 

Thank you,

Amanda”

Unquote

She was no help at all – last time I had problems – Liz helped me – and the service was great – she really was terrific and did not leave me hanging. It took a while – but, working with Liz the problem was solved to everybody’s satisfaction. Apparently Amanda is not in the same category.  She started out fine – and then NOTHING until the above.  Which I thought was almost rude.

Sorry that you are going through the same thing.

Amanda has been working on my issue behind the scenes, so I thought I'd come on and mention that we are working through it.  The result is that I'll be switching to Gen 5 on a lower data plan than what I currently have.  With the compression of data on streaming that is used on Gen 5, I should be able to stay within the 30g.  Even if I go over 30g the throttled speed is better than what I have today so it's a no-brainer.

thanks Amanda!

KarenKlomparens
New Poster

Speeds have been weird for me too.  Last week I bought a token after doing a bunch of work that used up my data.  That refill was gone in 45-60 minutes and we hadn't done anything after using the token other than facebook.  I should have called immediately and had Hughes replace the token but was too tired to deal with it.   About 2 weeks ago I noticed data was disappearing faster than normal.  I checked all the settings on my husbands laptop to make sure he hadn't accidentally changed settings...was all good.  But yes, speeds and data usage seems to off recently.

dhorwath
Sophomore

It's been 3 weeks now, and there's still no speed improvement.  Seems worse, now it's under 1meg tonight.   http://testmy.net/db/2lngZ6apX
What's the status on my beam?
Amanda

Hi dhorwath,

I did not know the exact date, just the time frame. I will ask engineers if the expansion has already been completed or is still pending and let you know what they say. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you,
Amanda