cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bronccat
Junior

Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Last night DL was consistently under 1 mbps, up was 2.5 to 4
This morning, DL has ranged from sub 1 to 10.

I have been on 4 chats and they just stop replying or disconnect. One rebooted modem a few times.

I have no phone here, need assistance please. Should I email?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi bronccat,

Thank you for this information. I also noticed on your account that you've reached out to our corporate office, so yes, one of our corporate representatives will be in contact with you to address your concerns. I've shared this thread with him so that he has more details on the troubleshooting attempted thus far. I'll go ahead and close out this thread, as I'm sure our rep will provide you with a resolution.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

123 REPLIES 123

Will do. Can we not try to reset the modem to factory? Seeing at it was working fine whe installed?

If you do that you will be dead in the water until it is re-registered with the help of an authorized tech.

That should only be done as a last resort and while on the phone with said tech.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Right. I'm saying after 2 weeks of this and no progress towards a solution or even any ideas that I'm aware of, isn't that a logical step for them take?

Not necessarily.

You're assuming it's a problem with the modem. To me it sounds like something/things local that is/are using the modem. They've already isolated everything between the modem, satellite and internet  as being fine, and that's the only logical thing left.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks Mark - but has to be the modem, IMO - unless Firefox doesn't work correctly with HN and is screwing up the speed tests. But that wouldn't explain every single app / program on every single device struggling with DL speeds.

All the devices being used there are fine elsewhere and were previously fine on that modem. Only thing that could have change to affect wired, wireless and 4 devices - would be the modem / router.

Unless there is some bizarre electromagnetic field that is interfering with wired and wireless transmission speeds.

Look, I'm not going down that road. There are literally 10 pages of it. Unless you begin to accept that there is something in the way either your devices are configured and/or the way your modem is configured to talk to them, there's no point. What I do know is that wholesale resetting the modem is a bad idea and will make things worse for you.

I understand what you're saying and Im not disagreeing with the possibility - I just need someone who as intimate knowledge of these modems to tell me what settings could be affecting both wifi and ethernet, download speeds only - and weren't an issue 3 or 4 weeks ago - across 4 different platforms.

Based.on all those variables, it's a lot more likely that ONE device (the modem) is the culprit.

I've read about the modem resetting dangers, and I won't do it until I'm asked to - but at this point I just want any kind of movement besides them continuing to test and tell me everything is ok on their end.

Good morning bronccat, 

No factory resetting the modem unless suggested by our engineers here at corporate. Just let me know when you plan to be on site next so I can give the engineers a heads up. Thanks! 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I will let you know.  Hopefully on Wednesday.  Will they be able to communicate with me via email or text (VOIP Text)?

Thank you, I will tell them to prep for Wednesday. They will be monitoring your site, no need for any communication. Should anything change, please let me know.

-Liz

I would think that actual communication is warranted at this point.

I desperately reached out yesterday via chat (from elsewhere) and was told that "I was informed to inform you that the issue has been sent to the corporate office and that the will be notifying you from their office".

That's was literally what was sent - right before I asked for a transcript twice and was told "Do to security concerns we do not email out information"
Again verbatim.

Also was told on FB messenger that this would be addressed and haven't heard a peep since last week. Nor have my messages been read.

Please put me in direct contact with someone who can address this.

Hi bronccat,

Thank you for this information. I also noticed on your account that you've reached out to our corporate office, so yes, one of our corporate representatives will be in contact with you to address your concerns. I've shared this thread with him so that he has more details on the troubleshooting attempted thus far. I'll go ahead and close out this thread, as I'm sure our rep will provide you with a resolution.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

-Liz

If your tests are being automatically backed down to a size smaller than 25MB, then you may need to check the option for 'No Forward' to keep the test size at 25MB.  This is an image GabeU posted a bit back for someone else.

NoForward.PNG

I am not sure if you are using the automatic testing or not, but you want the 25MB size for the download tests.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat 

If you're trying to reconcile what it shows on the daily parts of the monthly usage graph with what your total usage is showing, it may very well be off.  A month or so back a few of us noticed that the monthly graphs weren't reporting data usage properly on their breakdowns.  HughesNet is aware of the issue and it's been escalated to the engineers. 

The total usage still appears to be correct, however, as in the data level "donuts", with the "X used of X in your plan" and the percentage used indicator, but the monthly breakdown is being goofy.  I just noticed on my monthly usage graph that the dates aren't even correct now for my data cycle.  

It's the Gremlins I tell ya, Gremlins!!!  Just kidding, and just a little levity for what is no doubt a bit frustrating.  🙁

Lol, I WON'T get water on the modem 😉

What's been the most frustrating has been their inability to communicate logically. They keep sending me back to phone and chat that won't work with the current DL and that resolves nothing.

Finally, someone emailed today and basically said that the people answering emails aren't equipped to deal with this. Only chat / call people.

I'll add in response to maratsade:
I was clearly venting at the absurdity of their email support. They aren't even reading the email chain when replying to my last reply - just spewing the same response with no regard for the previous comments. How is that remotely support? And they've done it again, twice.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Why don't you post your test results from Testmy? Do you want to work on the issue or just complain about it? You have a great opportunity here to reach people in corporate headquarters, and you haven't provided one iota of real evidence for your speed issues. 

Do you have HughesNet Voice? That's their VOIP technology -- the system doesn't work without it.  

Is there another service you can consider instead of HughesNet?

I just want to complain 🙄

Look, I know you're "highly rated" and I appreciate your insight but if you aren't going to read the previous comments - what's the point? As stated above I DON'T HAVE AN ETHERNET CABLE at the moment.

As for their VOIP service, I don't have it. I have another VOIP and the DL is so slow that I cannot utilize it. Again, stated above.

And again - you keep going back to baseline issues (like wifi traffic, etc) when I have clearly posted that I've addressed this.

I don't know what else to say. I want to appreciate your help - but then again I don't need your apologist diatribe.

Again, the facts.

Wifi testing on Testmy is consistently 1 mb or less across different wifi devices - with no other wifi traffic. I have no ethernet cable at the moment and I cannot call because the DL is too slow.

UL has been fine the entire time. DL was fine for one day (20 mbps) since last friday. All other tests have been around 1 mbps.

Sure I can post the testmy log but it's all wifi so it "doesn't count"

You can't help someone if you completely ignore the information they are providing. If you want to help me, great. If not, move along.

The first thing is to locate that cable to directly connect to the modem.  If you turn off the WiFi without having the cable, you may have some trouble 🙂

After you have the cable hookup, you can proceed to following steps in that link maratsade sent.

That 36Mbps is a number from the log giving an idea of how much bandwidth it is seeing.  In general, it dips down at busy times of the day or there are communication issues.  Given that clear codes we saw earlier it seems things are working good.   And if you are on beam 82, then I would have expected such a high number at 6pm even though it is approaching "prime time" for satellite usage because I am on beam 82, and it has been very smooth and fast for the last couple of days.

With the test results, it should shed some light on the next step.