Speeds is this acceptable?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Speeds is this acceptable?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex As you can see, my speeds are erratic, I seem to lose my connection some times. This on my 2 computers. I am looking at WISP, Conifer Comm. is offering 4-6 mps no allowances, throttling at a comparable, or lower price as Hughes. I have been with Hughes many years, however the last year's speeds have been erratic as the tests show, It is to the point of annoying youtube buffering after 7 Pm. I would like to stay with Hughes, but if there is no solution to my problem , I am inclined to try WISP from my local provider. I have my youtube DPI set at 250, so not trying for HD. When I have 1.5 mps, I have no problems, faster is a bonus , but it seems 1.5 in the evenings is rare. Any reply is appreciated. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You may want to run the required troubleshooting procedure, using the required file sizes, and then answer any further troubleshooting questions that the reps here may have for you.  Your speeds seem to be better in the morning, which may point to congestion. Still, follow the procedure so the reps can help you. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade

You may want to run the required troubleshooting procedure, using the required file sizes, and then answer any further troubleshooting questions that the reps here may have for you.  Your speeds seem to be better in the morning, which may point to congestion. Still, follow the procedure so the reps can help you. 

Hi, I'll have to dig out my 35 ft ethernet cable for the required test. Since the wifi appears acceptable except in the later part of the day, and your suggestion the problem is congestion, not a technical problem, as the testmytest data shows, it seems a foregone conclusion that congestion is the culprit. There was no other users at my end when the speeds took a dive. Thanks
maratsade

Congestion refers to several things: users at your location (not what happened this time); number of devices connected at your location; users in your area; users in your beam; internet-related congestion (not ISP related),  a combination of  these, etc.  

Running the troubleshooting procedure the way the reps need it done is the only way to move forward with assessing what may be going on. 

It appears to be a congestion problem, as this morning great speed. There was no weather last nite, so remove that variable. Sadly I will ask for a site check for coverage today for WISP from my local provider. I thought with so many subscribers gone from the fires we had last Summer congestion would be reduced, but the use of high streaming use in evenings is still a problem. Thanks

1/12/22 6:28:05 am 18.94 Mbps 2.37 MB/sHughes25.5 MB79431798356454USUXI7bvctt 
1/12/22 6:07:17 am 19.22 Mbps 2.4 MB/sHughes22.4 MB79431798356454USK2zQ6AYaU 
1/12/22 6:06:57 am 19.26 Mbps 2.41 MB/sHughes22.4 MB79431798356454USl3twRK47i 
1/11/22 7:37:17 pm 432 kbps 54 kB/s
maratsade

It probably doesn't take much for the beam to get congested. 😞  

Good luck with alternative options! I hope they work for you. 🙂