Hughesnet Community

Super-slow download, only working in short bursts?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
udanwudeligv
Junior

Super-slow download, only working in short bursts?

Hi folks, Today I'm trying to download a smallish video off youtube and it seems extremely slow. Data saver is turned off, and I'm showing my "normal" 1-2MB download speed, but it's only downloading for like 1-2 seconds and then spends 12-15 seconds idle, and then another 1-2 second burst, etc. Literally it's been like half an hour (total file 400MB) and it says 2 minutes remain... It shouldn't be THAT slow. It's not a super high-traffic time, and I've downloaded other things that were much faster so I'm not sure what the issue is...the only thing I can think is it's a private (patreon) video on youtube coming out of Sweden.... Any thoughts on what might be causing the slowness between bursts?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I see that with YouTube sometimes, and I think the issue is with them, with the technology they use for their videos. Someone else may have a better answer, though. 

View solution in original post

Yeah, I found this: https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/49490/is-youtube-throttling-video-downloads-now And at the mention of "popular" videos not being slow and unpopular ones being very slow, I tried downloading from two people I follow on youtube who have very large followings (2M and 823K ) and those downloaded in a SNAP! So sadly the poor person with a Patreon and Youtube channel with only 255 subscribers gets the pokey speeds. That sucks but I'm sure it's because Youtube makes more $$ of the big guys. Well at least now I know.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade

I see that with YouTube sometimes, and I think the issue is with them, with the technology they use for their videos. Someone else may have a better answer, though. 

I've wondered that, because i download from this source and a couple of others that are outside the US and at night they will literally stall. I checked with HN, checked with the software company of the program I use (iTubeStudio) and still it happens.

Yeah I think you're right it has to do with youtube, because I tried downloading from another website and it was continuous AND much faster. So the question is, is that Youtube's fault, or Hughesnet throttling certain websites.
maratsade

Nope, it's YT, and I believe it has to do with the technology they use for their videos. HN doesn't throttle websites. They only throttle your speed when you go over your data allowance. 

udanwudeligv wrote:
Yeah I think you're right it has to do with youtube, because I tried downloading from another website and it was continuous AND much faster. So the question is, is that Youtube's fault, or Hughesnet throttling certain websites.

And for anyone who might ask, System status is all good, and I'm 6 days away from a new month, but still have 8GB left...but yeah it's as likely that it's Hughesnet as it is Youtube.

Yeah, I found this: https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/49490/is-youtube-throttling-video-downloads-now And at the mention of "popular" videos not being slow and unpopular ones being very slow, I tried downloading from two people I follow on youtube who have very large followings (2M and 823K ) and those downloaded in a SNAP! So sadly the poor person with a Patreon and Youtube channel with only 255 subscribers gets the pokey speeds. That sucks but I'm sure it's because Youtube makes more $$ of the big guys. Well at least now I know.
maratsade

Wow, that's very interesting!

i have been a user of this service for about 7 years and i listened to one to the customer rep and upgrade to the GEN 5 or GEN crap. this company doesn't really have the ability to support the amount of user that are allocated to echo-star 17 and 19 sat. i have been getting slower speeds then the gen 4 and they can seem to get these problem under control. the contract agreement should voided out based on the fact the services being provided is not what they sold to customers. there should not be a need to arbitrate. This company is a good company but lately it seems to be going down because of all the bad service of there system.
GabeU

@marios234455 

If you're having speed issues, please refer to this post and then start a new topic in Tech Support to post your results.