Transmit/Uplink errors

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mari
Sophomore

Transmit/Uplink errors

Getting a lot of red x’s on uplink. Could this be due to the Pineapple Express rainstorm on the west coast?

https://imgur.com/a/9kuCF
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, guy came out and swapped out the radio. System is working smoothly now. Still some red x’s in the system status, but no problems with the internet now.

Messages actually send out every time on messenger/iMessage, etc!

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Don’t think there is a foliage problem. Pretty clear line of sight.
https://imgur.com/a/V9uow

Power being supplied is 120v with drop stabilization via APC. Supply is rated upto 600w, draw averages 120w for everything on it.

@Mari

Only one thing concerns me in that photo is the flashing overhanging from your roof. The reason is that the takeoff angle for the dish isn't even with the feed horn, it's actually at an angle more vertical to it.

Appearances could be tricky though. If you've not had a problem with that before, it shouldn't be a problem now.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Flashing isn’t likely to be it, plus it wasn’t before.
https://imgur.com/a/8DlK0

It’s rather strange they can not communicate with the modem or their logger when I am using the internet with it right now...
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

That is why Amanda is going to send a technician out, your modem is logging transmit errors, it's possible it can listen most the time, but for some reason it's not sending data back.  Think of it like a phone call, where one end can hear things clearly, but the other end only hears bits and pieces.

Correct, C0RR0SIVE. Warning: wall of text incoming.

The inability to see a modem remotely can be caused by a number of different things or a combination of some of them. I'll list what I consider to be the top three.

1. The radio mounted on the arm of the dish is a newer design from our Gen3 radios. The uplink and downlink are separated from each other. The "Uplink" or "Transmit" is very, very sensitive because it has to bounce off the dish and make its way up to the satellite, leaving little room for blockage or error. If the signal cannot make it up to the satellite, we can't talk to it.

2. Low power, dirty power or insufficient power distribution. I've helped customers in the past who have had an array of weird interference, but sharing the outlet with a major appliance is pretty common. Refridgerators, washers/dryers, space heaters, even coffee makers (mine makes my lamp flicker at home). Using a surge protector or strip that does not supply sufficient power to the modem is also common. Not only does the modem need power, but it also provides power to the radio outside. Dirty power is less common, but sometimes they do crop up. Rural areas with older infrastructure encounter this problem and it is very hard to fix. 

3. Failed or faulty hardware is another reason. Since the two directions of signals are separated, one can fail while the other does not. This is a little less likely and you would have probably noticed the system performance degrading over time.

Just based on some of the historical data I have on your system I've made a guess at one of these being the problem. It is possible that a coaxial cable frayed, corroded or is just loose somewhere. The timing sync between the satellite and your modem could be off. Hopefully the tech can find the definitive root cause of this so we can help diagnose this kind of issue again in the future.

~Amanda

I switched the the modem onto its own power circuit separate from any computer hardware and took it off the power backup.

See if you can communicate with it now?

Oh, still getting a red X.
https://imgur.com/a/GW7yE
Power has been very stable at this today.
https://imgur.com/a/rqrFF
Backup hasn’t needed to level it up/down at all. It clicks when it does. Usually that only happens during storms.

I think you can cross out power as an issue. It worked perfect weeks ago during power outages on backup power.

Hello! I can reach the modem now. I see a problem with transmission rates. I am going to make some adjustments, so you may lose service for a few minutes.

~Amanda

If you need to reduce the speed to stabilize the connection, that would be fine.

I use finance software that just needs a stable connection, but still even works on 56k.

Well, guy came out and swapped out the radio. System is working smoothly now. Still some red x’s in the system status, but no problems with the internet now.

Messages actually send out every time on messenger/iMessage, etc!

Plus, YouTube works again!

@BirdDog

I'm kind of sensitive to the foliage one, myself, because I've been stung by it a few times. Everything seemed to be in the clear and was still getting red x's on Uplink, until I trimmed some stray branches that were actually reflecting signal back.

Aside from a myriad of other things, there was even one branch from a black walnut that would sag into the path when it rained, then pop back out of the way after it dried. Real elusive sucker, that.

Bottom line, after some trimming, I rarely if ever see any errors occur except for the spurious association error caused by a bit of congestion.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi Mari

Thank you for getting back to me. I still cannot communicate with the modem and it appears that our signal logger has not been able to get historical data for your signal for quite some time. The mount or cable might be loose, or a connector corroded. I think at this point the best thing for us to do is set up a visit from a technician to have them come out and see what the problem is. The visit and repair are at no cost to you. Since I am not in the office I am not sure if I can set up the visit from here, but if I can I will post back here to confirm.

~Amanda

A appointment any time of the week past 12pm would be preferred, but earlier is fine.

Make sure the tech brings a extra modem. I have a hunch it’s the problem.

Hi Mari

I've scheduled the dispatch but I am not sure if the tech will have these modems on hand yet. If he doesn't, I can ship you one. I was able to get the 8-11AM slot for Monday, but their office will call or text you ahead of the visit to confirm the appointment. If you need to, you can reschedule with them when that occurs.

Thanks,

Amanda