Trouble with new security protocols

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
motobojo
Junior

Trouble with new security protocols

I'm having trouble getting to a web site I haven't had trouble with in the past:  treasurydirect.gov

I've tried 4 different browsers: Firefox, Edge, Chrome, IE.  All fail.

An error page stating the following comes up (from Firefox):

Secure Connection Failed
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

I have contacted TreasuryDirect by phone.  They indicated that I am not alone in experiencing this difficulty.  They indicated a recent update to their security protocols and are considering whether that change might be the problem.  They did indicate that they thought the problem was isolated to a small set of Win10 systems. 

I'm on Win10.  The OS is up-to-date as are all of the browers being used.  It behaves the same on both my tablet and my desktop computer (both on up-to-date Win10 systems).  I'm on Gen5.  I called a friend who tried to access the site on a Win7 system with the Chrome browser and had the same problem.  That friend is also on Hughesnet (Gen 5).  This makes me wonder if it isn't a problem with this secure site's interaction with Hughesnet.

While I'd hope it wouldn't make any difference I've currently used up my allowance.  I don't think that was the case for my friend. 

fwiw: I've been able to access other sites with secure-predilictions : e.g. e-commerce sites & a set of other goverment sites.

Can any of you successfully get to this site?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hi motobojo,

See here

Currently this is still an open, known issue. However the suggested workaround from our engineers is to disable IPv6 on your device or on the modem to gain access to the page. I am not 100% sure on the reason, but I didn't know they changed their security protocols so this seems to line up if it's an IPv6 issue. I'll pass this information over to our engineers, though I believe they are already aware of the cause and were in the process of testing and rolling out a fix. Let me know if the IPv6 workaround doesn't help.

Thanks,

Amanda

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I get the following error message:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

--

Looks like the problem may be on their side.

Amanda

Hi motobojo,

See here

Currently this is still an open, known issue. However the suggested workaround from our engineers is to disable IPv6 on your device or on the modem to gain access to the page. I am not 100% sure on the reason, but I didn't know they changed their security protocols so this seems to line up if it's an IPv6 issue. I'll pass this information over to our engineers, though I believe they are already aware of the cause and were in the process of testing and rolling out a fix. Let me know if the IPv6 workaround doesn't help.

Thanks,

Amanda

Thanks Amanda. The workaround of disabling IPV6 for my internet connection around my visit to this site did the trick.  I hope whoever needs to gets the problem fixed as that is a clumsy thing to need to do just to get my business done on a site.  Sorry I missed the existing solution in the archive. 

Awesome @motobojo 🙂 I sent the information you provided to our engineers last night, thanks!

Amanda

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's working for me.  The last time this site was brought up it wasn't, then all of a sudden it did after a couple of weeks.  It's quite the temperamental site.