Unable to download Win 10 Updates from Microsoft

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hollidayjr
Freshman

Unable to download Win 10 Updates from Microsoft

I am unable to get the latest downloads (cumulative update KB4016871) from Microsoft with Gen4 HT1100 modem. All else works well, including downloads from other sites. I have tried to download the update manually but the download just hangs with no errors or anything. This is only on the Microsoft Windows Update and Windows 10 Update Catalogue sites. No other problems with anything else. What could possibly be causing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, here's the bad and the good. After another long session with tech support, the guy finally admitted (can you believe it?) that they don't know why Gen4 won't download Win10 updates and they have no idea how to fix it!! So after all is said and done, based on the fact that several of you on this board have upgraded to Gen5 to solve the problem, I decided to bite the bullet and try it also.

Great News- now it works like it should- a 350Mb windows cumulative update file from the microsoft catalogue downloads in less than a minute. Now bear in mind, the only thing the upgrade installer had to do was point the dish at the new satellite and activate it. I already had the HT2000 modem from previous attempt to make Gen4 work. The only thing that changed in my whole system was the new satellite. So the problem undoubtably lies somewhere with the old Sat--ES17. And either they don't have enough customers complaining or they really can't fix it.

I really appreciate those of you responding to my post and hope all this can help someone else. I feel sure there are other users that are not aware they have the problem. As for the upgrade itself, the new system really is much better and well worth the small increase in price.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@hollidayjr

I can tell you that I've had plenty of problems with updates from Microsoft while on the HT1100 with Gen4.  I have suspicions as to the reasons, but there was no way to alleviate the problems at the time.  What I did find, though, was that the updates tended to work better when I tried doing them at least a few days after the initial release, and late at night, when the fewest number of people were on-line.  

Why the problem only seemed to be with Microsoft, again, is only speculation, but I think it's possible that it has to do with their servers being both sensitive to latency and sensitive to a congested signal.  When it would work after a few days and late at night, there were less people trying to download the updates from their servers and the signal from Hughesnet was less congested due to less people being on-line at that time.  

The problem only seemed to hit some people, but not most.  I, unfortunately, was one of them.  

I wish I had a better solution for you.  Perhaps someone might have something else to try.  

One thing you could try, if you have not already and if it applies to you, is to try downloading them while directly connected to the modem if you are presently trying to do it wirelessly.  It didn't make any difference for me, but it might for you.    

Ah, one other thing.  You could try turning off web acceleration and seeing if that makes any difference.  I can't remember exactly how to do so in the HT1100, but I think you go to the System Control Center, click on the little i on the upper right, and the web acceleration adjustment is on the left in the options.   Something like that.      

I tried both of those and none work. I'll keep trying but I find it hard to believe others don't have this problem with microsoft. Everything else with my HN service works well and I have not found any other web download sites that have this problem. Very strange indeed!!  Thanks for the reply. Did you upgrade to Gen 5 to fix this?

I had a very similiar problem. I upgraded to Gen5 and it went away. Updates install just fine. Not sure why on Gen4 it was not working. I had great speed on there as well. However it works now.

GabeU

@hollidayjr

There have been some on here who have had the same problem, like Ricky above, and I'm sure there are some out there who are experiencing the same thing that haven't come to these boards.  

In my case, yes, upgrading to Gen5 has solved the problem completely.  I was having the problem on both a desktop and laptop that have Windows 10.  I also have a Windows 8.1 notebook that had the same problem, and upgrading to Gen5 fixed the incredibly slow updates for that, too.   

I really don't care to upgrade to Gen5 as a solution-no guarantee from hughes that it will work. Only a few seem to have this problem so not high on their fix list.

I called Hughes tech support and they couldn't even understand what the problem was, if the modem reports normal there can't be a problem, right? Finally got them to refer me to Home Tech Support at a cost of $100 to me. We spent approx. 6hrs. on the phone. They logged on to my computer remotely and proceeded to check everything. They were very professional and very courteous. But after all that, they came to the same conclusion- my HughsNet would not download Win10 updates-they could not make it work. We all agreed the next thing to try was to replace the modem. Yesterday they sent a installer to replace the modem with the newer HT2000. This did not fix the problem. All system indicators on the modem are normal, but it still won't download a windows update.

So after all this, I have spent $162.50 ($100 for Home Tech and $62.50 for installer) and I still have a system that won't update windows. I do have the newer modem but still on Gen4 system. Bottom line, this has got to be a problem with Hughes system and engineering needs to fix it. A internet service that won't update windows 10 in this malware infested internet age makes the system practically useless. If this is not corrected very soon I will be cancelling my service. I can't believe that only a very few of us are having this problem.

GabeU

@hollidayjr

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it may be something that the engineers can't fix, especially if it's a result of the aforementioned.  The congestion may reduce after enough people move to Gen5 and the ES19, but there's no guarantee that it will make enough of a difference.   And, of course, the latency will always remain.  It's possible that your beam just has a LOT of congestion and it is causing large problems with sensitive servers.  

When you run a speed test at testmy.net, what does the result graph look like?   

I hope that you can eventually find relief from the problem, no matter what's causing it.  

Hi hollidayjr,

You are not the only one having the problem and I'm also surprised more Win 10 users aren't posting. We have a Gen 4 HN9000 and can eventually get the Win 10 updates downloaded but they take hours no matter what time of day or night.  The other problem I have not seen mentioned yet is that a Win 10 update listed in the Windows update catalog as using 1049 mb takes me from three to five gb on all of those size updates this year.  I have our win 10 laptop stripped down of everything possible to only use for banking, don't share the updates, and installed Glasswire after reading different threads on this board.  Glasswire and the Hughesnet meter match up on usage and it is all going to microsoft.  I noticed on the Glasswire graph that my downloads spike up and then drop down to almost nothing for periods of time and then spike back up - similar to another thread recently posted by Gabe using the Speed Test showing the difference between Gen 4&5.

I do not have the same problem with Apple updates on the usage matching up and I can get the Apple updates downloaded pretty quickly (even during bonus time) unless they get dropped off about half way through.  When I called Hughesnet support they suggested upgrading to Gen 5 for the faster download speeds, which makes sense. I have been waiting to see how Gabe faired with his Gen 5 upgrade and Win 10 updates and am glad to see his post and Ricky's. 

A special shout out and thanks to Gabe for all his time and work he shares on the board.  This all takes so much time.

Hollidayjr, I'm not sure what other service you will be able to find that will work better for you.  You and Gabe have done all you can for the Win 10 problem on Gen 4 and I feel your pain with money and time lost! But now you've also contributed to the knowledge base on the board which I thank you for, and maybe someone will be able to come up with a fix or we will need to bite the bullet, hope for the best and upgrade to Gen 5.  Converting my laptop from Microsoft to Linux is also next on my list.

Helen 

GabeU

@HDD

Thanks for the compliment.  

As for Linux, I can tell you that it definitely does work with the service, and it works very well.  I have it on this desktop on a separate HDD as a secondary OS, and on a much older desktop as a primary OS.  The latter because I don't feel like spending money on Windows for a computer I hardly ever use.  

I like Linux Mint, but that's just me.  For someone having issues with Windows with Hughesnet, though, that might be the best way to go for the time being, unfortunately.

That Windows update problem with Gen4 was AWFUL.  It evidently doesn't happen for most people, but for us unlucky few, it's really a pain.  I had an update for my Windows 10 laptop months back that took over 24 hours, and it was about 700MB.  It was absolutely ridiculous.  My Windows 10 laptop, which is my main computer, and my seldom used windows 8.1 notebook weren't faring any better.  

Moving to Gen5 rectified the problem on all of them, but, of course, that's never a guarantee that it will do the same for everybody.  I really hope that the problem @hollidayjr is experiencing rectifies or something else is figured out.  If congestion is the main culprit, hopefully it will improve soon.  

It sure would be nice if another site hosted their updates, as I have a feeling it would work as their servers wouldn't be as picky.  Nobody else's are.   

Well, here's the bad and the good. After another long session with tech support, the guy finally admitted (can you believe it?) that they don't know why Gen4 won't download Win10 updates and they have no idea how to fix it!! So after all is said and done, based on the fact that several of you on this board have upgraded to Gen5 to solve the problem, I decided to bite the bullet and try it also.

Great News- now it works like it should- a 350Mb windows cumulative update file from the microsoft catalogue downloads in less than a minute. Now bear in mind, the only thing the upgrade installer had to do was point the dish at the new satellite and activate it. I already had the HT2000 modem from previous attempt to make Gen4 work. The only thing that changed in my whole system was the new satellite. So the problem undoubtably lies somewhere with the old Sat--ES17. And either they don't have enough customers complaining or they really can't fix it.

I really appreciate those of you responding to my post and hope all this can help someone else. I feel sure there are other users that are not aware they have the problem. As for the upgrade itself, the new system really is much better and well worth the small increase in price.

When I had my Legacy plan (HN9000 modem on the Spaceway 3 Satellite)  Windows Updates would download but very slowly,  they would download a few seconds and stop for about 30 seconds to a min, only downloading a few MBs at a time.  Would take hours just to download updates,  Let alone a full Windows 10 download lucky if it finished within the 5 hour unlimited usage time frame that I had some times would have to pause or turn on Metered Connection to have the download stop and hope it continues the next night.

I upgraded to Gen5 for the faster speeds and to be able to use the internet after going over my data limit (with my old plan I had 375 MB of data per day and if that was used there was no access to internet).    I was amazed as to how fast Windows Updates now download using Gen5.   

I think its the higher delay that causes the problems,  Microsoft must have their servers set real low.  The slightly lower delay with Gen5 makes a BIG difference.   I think these problems should be taken to Microsoft instead of HughesNet... (I dont blame Gen4 or ES-17 - being I had the problem with Spaceway 3 as well).

GabeU

@hollidayjr

I can believe that they admitted that.  I think the only thing that is going to fix it is time, as in how long it takes the congestion to be lessened to a point that it's not causing issues with Microsoft's update servers, and that all depends on how quickly people jump to the ES19.  And, of course, it's beam and gateway dependent, too.  

Glad it's working for you now.  Gen5 is definitely a step up, that's for sure.    

Thanks for posting the great news hollidayjr - your thread should save a lot of people a lot of time and money. Thanks to Gabe, too for the Linux info/encouragement.   Wildcats, I know what you went through since we got by on 250MB a day since 2005 until we upgraded to Gen 4 this year. At least we had saved up tokens to fall back on after the updates! Should have upgraded to Gen 4 a long time ago so won't wait any longer on the Gen 5 now that it is available in our area and all of you are having success with it.

I wasnt a fan of the Monthly usage plus the Nightly limits.  I had unlimited from 2 am - 7 am.  I was going to upgrard to Gen4 when it first came out but the plans didnt sound good to me.  I only upgraded to Gen5 mainly because the faster speeds and better speeds after using up data.

maratsade

@wildcats198308 wrote:

I wasnt a fan of the Monthly usage plus the Nightly limits.  I had unlimited from 2 am - 7 am.  I was going to upgrard to Gen4 when it first came out but the plans didnt sound good to me.  I only upgraded to Gen5 mainly because the faster speeds and better speeds after using up data.

Took me a while to decide to go to Gen 4 (I didn't want to go to monthly and didn't think I would like the limits, plus I also didn't want to lose the unlimited 2-7 use) but I was very happy I did. I realized I can totally budget the monthly limits and that the bonus zone was way better than the unlimited but oh-so-slow free zone.

When Gen 5 came along I not to wait  to get it, and I'm glad I upgraded. 🙂

My second month of Gen5 just started yesterday and I am not really liking the monthly limits.  With having kids under 17 here usage gets used fast... If the data is there they will use it, and dont realize or understand how much is being used and how much should be getting used.  At least the speeds are decent after going over the monthly usage.  In just 1 and a half days I am already down to 88% (2.4 GB / 20 GB) Anytime and 92% (4.2 GB / 50 GB) Bonus.  My nephews Playstation must still have alot of updates that are being downloaded.   I still dont like the 50 GB 2-8 usage,  with as many devices and all that will be used in no time.  I dont see any reason to upgrade to the 30 GB plan being the Bonus data is still only 50 GB.  I feel the Bonus data should go up with each plan.  10 GB plan should have 50 GB bonus,  20 GB should be around 75,  30 GB should be 75-100 GB.