Hughesnet Community

VOICE: what happens if you hook two phones to the ATA?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larrykelly
Junior

VOICE: what happens if you hook two phones to the ATA?

a) neither phone will work

b) both will work, Hughes just doesn't want you to complicate things

c) the second phone will catch fire and burn down your house

d) HughesNet will get mad and eat your tokens

e) none of the above

Why do I ask? I've got one phone with a really loud ring I appreciate. I've got another that I will actually use in operation that works well in all aspects but its soft ring. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Liz wrote:

Hi Larry, 

Thank you for your patience as I sought an answer for you. Looks like we haven't tested connecting two phones to the Phone 1 port using that adapter, but my contact figures it should work. If you have the adapter, I'd give it a shot and if it doesn't work, let me know so I can let the VOIP team know so they're aware.

Both phones answer calls, ring loudly, and sound good! Love the twin bell ringing of the "Lucy phone". 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm thinking C, or D. Smiley Very Happy

ETA: Sorry, I don't know anything about HN voice.  I ordered it once and then canceled it because I decided to just go with the iPhone.

Hi Larry!

I thought you were going to update us on what would happen if you had two phones plugged in! LOL I was waiting with bated breath.

So when I realized you were asking, I doubled checked with our VOIP folks and they confirmed that the Phone line 2 port is disabled in the provisioning file, so it should NOT work. If it does, however, we'd like to know!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Okay, you'll have to remain in suspense a little longer as I will hook a second phone up tomorrow and report. I will first get out the fire extinguisher and take my dog to the neighbors.

Larry

I literally LOL at that. Hopefully nothing will happen. Cat Very Happy

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Okay, the suspense is over. No dail tone on second phone jack. It did provide juice though to light up the phone's dial.

Me and dog are safe. 

Okay, "one more thing" as Columbo used to say. As I was really driving at the ramifications of hooking up two phones, what if I ignored the second jack on the ATA and just used a

IMG_6951.JPG

connected to the first jack?

Great question, Larry! I'm checking on that for you, I'll let you know what I hear back.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@larrykelly wrote:

Okay, "one more thing" as Columbo used to say. As I was really driving at the ramifications of hooking up two phones, what if I ignored the second jack on the ATA and just used a

IMG_6951.JPG

connected to the first jack?

Would be concerned about the power draw doubling the output like that, especially if older phone with ringer, maybe not so much newer solid state phones. I know many still like their old style phones. Hopefully Liz can get a good answer.

Your reading my mind. I have a refurbished Western Electric Model 302, Circa 1940s "Lucy phone". I don't talk on it, but the sound of the Internal Ringer takes me back to childhood.

IMG_6962.JPG

Hi Larry, 

Thank you for your patience as I sought an answer for you. Looks like we haven't tested connecting two phones to the Phone 1 port using that adapter, but my contact figures it should work. If you have the adapter, I'd give it a shot and if it doesn't work, let me know so I can let the VOIP team know so they're aware.

@Liz wrote:

Hi Larry, 

Both phones answer calls, ring loudly, and sound good! Love the twin bell ringing of the "Lucy phone". 

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your findings with us, Larry! 

Okay, so I hooked up my pre-WWII Western Electric phone because I love the ring, but on a whim today I tried making a call from it. It worked. A dial pulse phone!

Very cool, Larry! 😄

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@larrykelly wrote:

Your reading my mind. I have a refurbished Western Electric Model 302, Circa 1940s "Lucy phone". I don't talk on it, but the sound of the Internal Ringer takes me back to childhood.

IMG_6962.JPG

Had one of those for years, loved it and got lots of positive comments on it. Lost it somewhere during one of my many moves in the service.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, newer phones don't draw much at all. As for the old ones, don't think many if any places in the States support pulse dialing anymore. I'd bet it will work fine with two newer phones connected in parallel to port 1.