VPN -

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsg5K5GK
New Poster

VPN -

HughesNet will not work with my VPN. I use Perfect IPTV SurfShark, which is a great VPN for Firestick. Is there a preferred VPN that works with HughesNet?

3 REPLIES 3
Damian

@dsg5K5GK,

Thank you for reaching out us. I am sorry to hear you are having troubles using a VPN with our service. VPN'S are not currently one of the features HughesNet or any satellite internet providers are really optimized for. While you may be able to get it to work, it will not work as efficiently as it would on normal cable based, DSL and terrestrials providers. This is simply due to how far the satellite is away from earth that causes this inherent latency. As far as which VPN will works best, I will let the community give recommendations as the experience is pretty linear with all VPN's and satellite internet service. -Damian 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Though I rarely ever use a VPN, none of the ones I tried with HughesNet worked very well. They would always greatly diminish the speed. 

I don't know if making your own VPN with something like a Raspberry Pi or an old, unused Windows computer might work better, though it's possible. I have no experience with this though. 

VPNs are generally a two-part solution, and I'm afraid that locally employed processing wouldn't help:

The first part is the ability to securely encrypt all communications using the applicable protocols. This is the problem that satellite communications have a large problem with. The acceleration techniques utilized can't effectively support secure communications, in fact they would violate the secure protocol, so they have to be disabled in order for secure packets to be transmitted. So in this regard, adding level of security using a secondary processor wouldn't help speed.

The second part is IP masking. A remote VPN server would act as a surrogate origination point, therefore hiding the user's actual originating IP address. This has some benefits in protecting the VPN user, but in my opinion it's being used more and more to hide some malicious activity (e.g., bots designed to infiltrate web sites and turn them into spam generators, bitcoin mining sites, etc.). I see a lot of these hitting my web site and have been forced to block many VPN IP ranges. A local secondary processor wouldn't be any help here either, since the originating IP would still be the same.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.