Very slow

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fox12
Junior

Very slow

The system has always been very slow. Like a couple of minutes to load any page. Just  trying to pin it down, have a couple of questions. Have done many speed tests all good, and several data loss tests, all good. 

The LAN light on the modem is always on and flashing, with nothing plugged into the LAN ports. Is this normal?

Is 105 a good 

Satellite Receive Signal Strength?

Thanks for any help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Good morning fox12,

Thank you for the link and trying those sites. OK, I see that the speed tests do show appropriate speeds. Then when you visited those google sites they loaded quickly, as expected since they don't have a lot of bells and whistles on those sites. Which sites do you frequent that seem to load slowly? Please bear in mind that media/graphics-heavy sites can take much longer to load.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

Hi Liz.

I really appreciate all the time and effort you have given me. I  came to that conclusion yeserday when I went to the Google sites and saw how bare they were. I guess there's not much we can do. The sites I go to are much bigger. Facebook, YouTube, Ebay, and such. I have them all set for NO autoplay on their videos but that doesn't stop the ads or graphics. With all your help and my own reading a lot of material on this side I think we can conclude this chapter, huh.
Thanks again. I'll be back again next week about my missing tokens. My plan resets in about 4 days, waiting to see if they come back.
Wishing you a great day.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@fox12 wrote: 

The LAN light on the modem is always on and flashing, with nothing plugged into the LAN ports. Is this normal? 

Though I could be wrong, I believe the LAN light should be off when there are no devices connected via LAN cable.  

The reps will likely want to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, so please be sure to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in so they can do so.

maratsade

"Though I could be wrong, I believe the LAN light should be off when there are no devices connected via LAN cable."

As long as the modem's plugged in, all the lights are on. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"Though I could be wrong, I believe the LAN light should be off when there are no devices connected via LAN cable."

As long as the modem's plugged in, all the lights are on. 

Hmmm.  They need to update the Guide.

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 9.45.07 PM.png

maratsade

I could be wrong. 🙂

It has always been on since the system was installed and is always blinking, even with wifi turned off.

The only time I have anything plugged into a LAN port is when I do a speed test.

Since these ports are always probing/polling for new devices, there's always activity. So it will always blink.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks MarkJFine that does make sense. Then if you were using the LAN cable the only indication that it was working would be the lights beside the LAN port.

Good morning fox12,

I just ran diagnostics on your site and I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Which devices do you normally use when you browse the internet? Do you have any services that could possibly be running/syncing in the background without your knowledge? Have you done a malware scan on your device to ensure there isn't anything unusual slowing you down?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz, hope you had a nice weekend. We have a Mac Book, a new Acer Laptop, 2 new HP laptops, and an Amazon Fire tablet, they all act the same way. I downloaded a 4.6gb update a couple of weeks ago and it too 50 minutes. It's been very slow since it was installed. I spent an hour or so on the phone with tech right after we got it and they couldn't find anything wrong. I have done several speed tests according to the instructions here on 2 of our computers, and several data loss tests. Leaving everything off all night and several hours during the day and it never showed any loss. The speed tests always show over 25mb down and and 1 to 3 mb upload. I do McAfee scans all the time but no Malware bytes. We turn off wifi anytime we are not on the computers..
I can post my speed test results page if you think it would help. 

No all we have is internet. No cable tv or phone.

There's only 2 of us here and she's very seldom ever online, so there's normally only 1 device at a time online.

Sorry for so many replies but I leave then think of something else that might help.

When we are online we are never more than 10 feet from the modem, same room.
The speed is the same whether we are on wifi or LAN cable. No difference.

Hi fox12,

Thank you! No need to apologize that's all great info for me to have. When do you notice slow browsing, is it only at night or daytime as well?

You mentioned that all sites load slowly, and take a couple minutes to do so. So if you tried google.com or https://finance.google.com/, do they also take a few minutes to load?

Edit: Yes, please do share your testmy.net results URL so we can see all your results so far.

-Liz

Liz, it's everything at any time..I have all sites set to NOT auto play videos. If I don't do that some sites won't load at all before they time out. And You tube and Facebook videos are out of the question, just keeps buffering. It took 7 minutes once to watch a 1 min. 45 second video..  I don't try to download them, just stream them.

Liz. I just tried Google.com and Google finance. Took less than 5 seconds. loaded almost instantly.

Good morning fox12,

Thank you for the link and trying those sites. OK, I see that the speed tests do show appropriate speeds. Then when you visited those google sites they loaded quickly, as expected since they don't have a lot of bells and whistles on those sites. Which sites do you frequent that seem to load slowly? Please bear in mind that media/graphics-heavy sites can take much longer to load.

-Liz

Hi Liz.

I really appreciate all the time and effort you have given me. I  came to that conclusion yeserday when I went to the Google sites and saw how bare they were. I guess there's not much we can do. The sites I go to are much bigger. Facebook, YouTube, Ebay, and such. I have them all set for NO autoplay on their videos but that doesn't stop the ads or graphics. With all your help and my own reading a lot of material on this side I think we can conclude this chapter, huh.
Thanks again. I'll be back again next week about my missing tokens. My plan resets in about 4 days, waiting to see if they come back.
Wishing you a great day.

Hi fox12, 

You're welcome. As I've seen some of our regulars suggest, you can also try adblockers to help cut down on those as well. They can help a great deal.

-Liz

Thanks Liz, I'll try the ad blockers.