cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer problem...Brother MFC-240C

Ricky
Tutor

Printer problem...Brother MFC-240C

I have aquired a Brother MFC-240C printer. I can not get it to print. I did not get a install disk with it. I can see the printer. The printer will make a copy of something so it will work. I just don't have the driver, I guess, to make it print. A chat with Brother says there are no drivers for Windows 8.1 with this printer. They mentioned something about a generic driver.

Can anyone help me make this printer work with my OS?

24 REPLIES 24
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Re: Printer problem...Brother MFC-240C

Ricky, have you tried to use Windows Update to see if the computer could find a generic driver online to use?

It's a long shot, but sometimes Win7 and Win10 drivers will work on Win 8.1.

Hopefully this article from Brother will help: http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc240c_all&faqid=faq00002994_002

Ricky
Tutor

I have but the updates failed. Trying them 1 by 1 now to see which one fails. I know the Brother one failed. Sounds like a project tomorrow.

Tags (1)
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ricky
Tutor

No not yet Corrosive. Thanks for the tips. I will be signing off for tonight soon. So I will check back in tomorrow around 11 EST to see any ideas and get to work on trying to get this thing working.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What version of Windows was listed for the last driver?

Did you try installing the driver as an Admin?

Did you try installing under compatibility mode?

Ricky
Tutor

I do not know what version was listed for the last driver. I did not investigate to much yesterday. I am trying to install as a Admin. though. I have not tried to install in compatibility mode. All things I will have to try later today.

Thanks!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

According to the Brother site the built-in Windows 8.1 drivers are supposed to work: http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc240c_all&os=135

Not sure why you can't get it to work. I have a Brother MFC-430JW and the built-in drivers are working. What shows up in Control Panel/Decices and Printers, anything? Is Windows up to date?

Maybe this will also help: 

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc240c_all&faqid=faq00002994_002

Printer drivers.JPG 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Might there be an issue with the USB cable?  Have you tried it in a different USB port?  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Ricky
Tutor

I just tried a different USB port and still no go.

Windows does have some updates that are needed but they keep failing. Trying to figure that out 1st since maybe that is the problem right there. Attachment is what shows for printers.

Problem solved...... I was not choosing the right printer to print to. Hahahaha. I must have taken a stupid pill this morning. Thanks for the help guys.